SASS Wire Forum

winchester 94

MMJ#89586

Long Range matches with lead projectiles - the 30-30 calibre Winnie 94 is a winner in my book. Now I just need to get to a Long Range match :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Only for long range side matches. It cannot be used as a main match rifle. They made 7 million of them. The early ones have collector value, the later ones lesser value. Price goes anyone from 3 or 4 hundred dollars to several thousand. Depends on what you are looking at and what you intend to do with it.

The Winchester 94 was made in pistol caliber. I have one in .357. It's not the best or even second best choice for CAS. Because of the design of the gun, it tends to jam when operated at speed. You'd be better off with a Marlin or one of the Uberti toggle link rifles.

The Winchester 94 in 30-30 however, is an excellent deer rifle.

The Winchester 94 is a great gun for many things but not CAS main matches. Looking at your badge number and your question I am assuming that you are just getting started. I recommend that you search the affiliated clubs on this website and visit a couple in your area. You might even contact the person listed for your local club. Many clubs have new shooter days this time of year (after the winter thaw) where you can talk to seasoned shooters and try various equipment. This could save you a fortune in the long run and make the journey much more fun. Also, read your Cowboy Chronicle to see what is being advertised and discussed to learn what are your best options.

There is no one 'best' gun (make, model, caliber, version) though there are some guns that are more popular than others. I had as much fun learning about SASS as I have had participating. Have a hoot!

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

as has been stated, pistol caliber only. Having said that, I started out with a 94 in 357. When its the only game in town you adapt. After a year and a half of fighting with it I switched to a 92. After a couple more years I finally switched to a 73. Just a thought

I had a 94 in .45 that I had picked up as part of an auction group before I looked at getting into CAS. I thought about using it till I tried out a pards slicked up 73 at my first match. Not even in the same county let alone the same ball park. As anyone will tell a newbie (and I am one) show up at a local match and some will start to put guns in your hands to try out. Only way to go before you start spending money.

Irish Rambler

The ones in .45 don't work to bad ,,,,,, if worked like ya mean it ....

They have a "Hitch" about mid-stroke that makes some folks not fully cycle them at speed causing troubles in feeding and jams ..... But if worked with "Gusto" they can be relieble,,, those in .357 ,,,,,,,, well ......

I know more than one Cowboy that shoots one for SASS and has for years, Lou has used one for the past 7 years and has never had a problem with his .....

Jabez Cowboy

The ones in .45 don't work to bad ,,,,,, if worked like ya mean it ....

They have a "Hitch" about mid-stroke that makes some folks not fully cycle them at speed causing troubles in feeding and jams ..... But if worked with "Gusto" they can be relieble,,, those in .357 ,,,,,,,, well ......

I know more than one Cowboy that shoots one for SASS and has for years, Lou has used one for the past 7 years and has never had a problem with his .....

Jabez Cowboy

My first CAS rifle was my '94 Trapper in .45 Colt caliber - the only flaw was the ability to only load 9 in the tube. I think, that only 9 were required 'back then'. I don't remember loading one extra on the clock. It is a bit 'clunky' and the lever throw is a bit long too.

The rifle itself worked fine...and is now relegated as a back up rifle, behind the Henry 1860, behind the SS Rossi '92, behind the main rifle - '94 Marlin :D

I think everyone in SASS should shoot one........but me. :lol:

CJ;

You pull that off, and Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the next World Champion, Cowboy Junky!

;-)

Cheers,

FJT

The Win 94 action was not designed for the shorter pistol calibers...but...what the hell...I'm with Cowboy Junky.

Cheers!

:FlagAm:

Give that feller a ceeeeegar! :D

Archived