SASS Wire Forum

M1911a1 issues

Dorado

Ok, so I've been given a 1943 Remington Rand M1911a1 that belonged to my grandfather. I've been working on it and got to shoot it this morning. The first few rounds were flawless but then the hammer stopped falling to the firing pin. It would hit sometimes but stop at the first click more often than not. I'm thinking it is the grip safety but I'm not sure. What do I do?

I'm using FMJ ball ammo, that part functions beautifully. I tried pushing the slide forward and that didn't help. I'll try taking a higher hold on it and see if that helps. What else could be happening?

I'm planning on it!!

Grip safety only blocks trigger movement. Has nothing to do with the hammer/sear function. If the slide is not going into battery the hammer would be stopped by the lower edge of the firing pin retainer and not the half cock notch. The hammer will fall if the slide is out of battery but only until it gets back around 1/16 inch then the trigger won't function.

If the hammer is falling when the trigger is pulled but the hammer is catching on the half cock notch this means the sear/hammer notches are not correct. Either hammer or sear (maybe both) might have to be replaced but there isn't any way to tell without looking at the gun.

Ok, so I've been given a 1943 Remington Rand M1911a1 that belonged to my grandfather. I've been working on it and got to shoot it this morning. The first few rounds were flawless but then the hammer stopped falling to the firing pin. It would hit sometimes but stop at the first click more often than not. I'm thinking it is the grip safety but I'm not sure. What do I do?

I never saw one do that, but a couple of things I would check. Make sure the insides are clean. Also make sure that the three pronged spring that works the trigger, grip safety and disconnector has enough tension to perform properly.

Rather than fiddle with it any more and maybe have something bad happen, bring it to the match and let experienced eyes fall upon it.

Rather than fiddle with it any more and maybe have something bad happen, bring it to the match and let experienced eyes fall upon it.

ditto

My Remington Rand had a slide that would no go fully forward and a $3. part fixed it but it helped having someone who knows look at it first.

mine was it needed a new barrell link pin and link. let a professional tell you.

I took it to the match and everyone I talked to said that I should check the mainspring. I've got a spring kit ordered, and I'll replace the springs and check out all of the interior parts while I'm at it. I hope it's just a spring and not something more.

It might be a good idea to reassemble the pistol minus the grip and thumb safeties. That way to you can test the trigger of the unloaded weapon "on the bench" and be able to see into the frame to see if it's hanging up on anything. Don't worry about dry firing it, it'll be fine for the duration of the test. If the hammer works properly then put the thumb safety back in and try again. If it still doesn't misbehave, reinstall the grip safety. By then you'll have an idea if anything inside is causing it to happen.

Archived