SASS Wire Forum

Dent in the Badge

Aunt Jen

You know, I was watching the of the greatest westerns of all time the other night, "Support Your Local Sheriff," and I noticed James Garner's sheriff's badge had a dent in it from some fracas or other, with some former sheriff.

Now, I don't want to be disrespectful to SASS at all, but I have to say it crossed my mind--for the kindly and also respectful purpose of spirit of the game and costuming--to put a similar dent in my SASS badge. :unsure:

It ought ta go with the worn soles on my boots. Kind of flesh out the trimmings a little, I think.

Whaddya think? Should I?

Aunt Jen

Find a safe place where you can toss it in the air with one hand, draw and shoot it with the other, and have someone video it to entertain us.

:lol:

:FlagAm: From the internet movie data base web site:

Jason McCullough: [Fingering dented badge] That must have saved the life of whoever was wearin' it.

Mayor Olly Perkins: Well, it sure would have, if it hadn't been for all them other bullets flyin' in from everywhere.

Really? Dent my badge...?

And folks would ask me if it was done in one shot, and I could tell them that it sure was, only one of the shots hit it. And was I wearing it at the time? And I could say it was pinned right here to this blouse, while it hung out on the wash. And people could say, "I wanna see it done again," and I could say that I've given up washing my clothes, as people kept shootin' at them.

Genuine frontier gibberish, from deep in the Southwest.

Aunt Jen

Your whole premise aunt Jen made me think back to when my dear friend Ken (Passed away last year) and I first were employed at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. We thought that that was the best thing since sliced bread. I eventually made a career out of it lasting 25 years into retirement. Anyway we got our uniforms and gear and were on our 2nd or 3rd weekend out shooting for fun and Ken thought it would be a real character statement to have a bullet hole top dead center of his plastic hard hat. I told him that it wasn't his hat and he may get in trouble but he was insistent. On the ground the hat went and out came the 44. One round later and that hat was in 100 pieces or more. It shattered like anything. A hole was the only thing that could not be found. I hope your badge fairs better. Smithy.

Okay:

(This is a secret, so don't tell anyone. If I dent it, it'll be because I take it out into my garage, find a couple of large washers, with a half-inch hole in them, find something with a rounded tip, place the badge over the washers, put tool on top of it, and hit it with a hammer. that should give me something that looks like a bullet dent. Then, I'd say nothing about it.

Folks who know me would know good and well that it wasn't from a bullet, but my humor, often, is found in doing or saying something that clearly ISN'T, yet with a straight face as if it was.

So I'd get a kick out of it, and...

...If someone asked me, I'd give them a rotating batch of blarney (with a straight face) that might run something like, "Bank robbery," "Meteor," "Injuns," "What dent?" "I told 'em 'cease fire'".....and if I were in a group, I'd probably name one of the more ornery guys there and blame it on him in a way that was totally unbelievable..... But I'd insist!

Yes, I'm a stinker. But don't tell anyone about this, okay? Because if I do it, the humor wouldn't work if they know it's coming.)

Aunt Jen

Your way of applying "the dent" may work out alot better if your badge is the original badge SASS sent you. The custom badges you pay extra for are heavier. A bullet to the cheaper badges may not leave a dent. The HOLE thing is up to you

TF

Jen,

Forget about shooting it and just whack it with a hammer (a small ball peen hammer would work) or find something with a rounded end on it and whack it with a hammer to make the dent. ;)

It just has to LOOK like a dent from a bullet, not actually BE a dent from a bullet. SASS is all 'bout the fantasy anyhow.

Archived