SASS Wire Forum

Most painful injury you have every had...

Deja Vous

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You asked fer it:

horse stepped on my left foot at age 7 (me not the horse, never got it set right)

from my duties at the "asylum":(in no specific order)

torn ligiments in left knee

broken nose x three

dislocated left elbow

torn cartledge between ribs

4-5 broken fingers (and many bent)

about a dozen or so various bites

cuts, bruises and various contusions about the body

twisted ankle

carpal tunnel both wrists (surgery on one)

torn rotator cuff left shoulder and mild tear on right shoulder.

some of the injuries occured from a patient going left while all the staff were going right. I am lucky I didn't work with the full on criminally insane. I lost a friend up north from being beat to death with a lead pipe.

It was a dangerous job, and I have lots of pain from doing it for 43 years but wouldn't have traded it for anything else. (altho it would have been nice if the State was better about compensating for injuries..)

thanks for asking...heheheh

curley

I've seen kidney stones mentioned several times. I'm knocking on wood as I write this, but I have been lucky enough to have never had one. My brother-in-law and father-in-law were talking one day though, and my BIL said he had read that a kidney stone is the closest pain that a guy can have to child birth, and the worst pain a guy can experience. Without missing a beat, my FIL, who had a couple of bouts with kidney stones, said "I used to think that. Then I had a heart attack." I hope to avoid both, thank you.

One thing I didn't think about last night was a couple of years back when I had what can best be described as a systemic strep infection. Pretty much every joint in my body was in severe pain, and there wasn't a position I could put myself in where I didn't feel pain. I somehow got myself to the doctor and he agreed not to send me to the hospital only if I took a large antibiotic shot right there in addition to a prescription for some heavy duty ones, and to call 911 if I started having more problems. Mrs. Doc was out of town at a horse show and I didn't want to be in a hospital alone or drag her home from out state. He also gave me a prescription for vicodin, and I basically slept through it from there on. Lots of pain and misery there.

Got caught in a post hole digger, the kind that runs on the back of a tractor. Broke my left arm baddly, my right leg, and fractured my skull, (hold yer comments :angry: ). Dislocated my elbow and shoulder and sprained my wrist.

Yeah I hear it comin' already so I'll beat ya's to it, I'm still dizzy!!! :lol:

Broke my leg playin softball, it was broke in two places. I was catching and the A$%#@*& was coming home from second on a hit. He was out by a mile and I was standing there waiting for him with the ball in glove. He decided to try and bowl me over, wel...he hit me and we both rolled a couple of times and my leg got twisted somehow and crack and crack!! When I got up and tried to put weight on it that was the most pain I've ever felt. Went right back down on the ground. Someone brought me water and next thing I knew the medics were there and put an inflatable cast on it and off to the ER I went.

Oh yea, I dropped the ball and he was safe!! He did come to the hospital but I was out.;)

36, wife dies in your arms, then go home and tell your 11 year old daughter. That pain will never go away, daughter is 35 now.

+1 on the kidney stone.

Worst self inflicted was a thumb in the door of a pickup truck. Tore the nail off and required a handfull of stitches. When I close a door, I close a door.

36, wife dies in your arms, then go home and tell your 11 year old daughter. That pain will never go away, daughter is 35 now.

ouch........

Now that hurts.

~EE(think I'll hug my kids and wife a bit more today)Taft~

:(

Broken ribs, dislocated shoulders, various other injuries all hurt. But none of then can hold a candle to a kidney stone. Women who have had both natural childbirth and kidney stones have told me the stone was much worse.

If you've had a kidney stone, you know what I mean. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. The only good this is you know immediately when it passes. It's like someone threw a switch and turned off the pain. One minute you're rolling on the floor screaming in pain and the next you're completely calm as if nothing ever happened.

====================================================

I was still in the Air Force when I had mine. I remember writhing in pain on the latrine floor and wishing someone would come in and shoot me and give me some relief, before it finally broke loose and passed.

Gotta agree the Kidney Stones are the worst. I tore my finger off falling off a ladder, did not hurt to bad when it happen but sure did when the doc sewed it back on.

Blew a Lumbar 4-5 disc about three years ago, had to have a laminectomy to clean up the disc and fish out the fragments. My spinal canal (the hole where your spinal cord goes) was occluded 80-90%. When I went to see the neurosurgeon he put the x-rays and MRI films up on the viewer and said "Damn, I bet that hurts!". I assured him it did. Said he couldn't believe I was up walking around, figured I'd be in bed wearing a diaper. He said that's what he calls a "janitor disc". If he left the films up on the viewer that night the janitor would see it and say "DAMN! Look at that disc!" :angry: Goofy part was it wasn't my back that hurt, it was my left leg and left side of my butt :blink: .

I've known a fellow or twa that had kidney stones. They seem to have a pretty bad rep. Don't think I want none. May go drink a couple gallons of cranberry juice to-day after reading this thread! :lol:

JHC

When I was young,still at home, we had a rope from the barn hay loft tied to a far tree. Anyone remember Commando Cody and his leather flying jet jacket? Well me, my brothers, and sister made a sling from a paperboys bag, round plywood disk inserted into it, and layed on this, then swung out flying all the way down, heels digging before we hit the tree. We thought we were Commando Cody flying through the air. We even made up a jet pack with empty cans and strapped them on our back with a belt. Eveything worked great for weeks, then one Sunday as it was my turn, I layed on the disk and went flying out of the barn, when the strap broke half way down. I went down on top of a barb wire fence, rocks, etc. I though I was dying from the pain, couldn't breathe, chest hurt. Yet, brothers and sister came laughing to me. They got my parents and ended up with 3 broken ribs, torn legs, chest, hands, from rocks, gravel, and the barb wire. Probable would have gotten a licking, but my parents probable didn't want to increase my injuries. I never tried flying with my body again. MT

my back that hurt, it was my left leg and left side of my butt :blink: .

JHC

Did that in 1975. Surgery was a little cruder then but it did work.

I've had spinal problems for twenty-five years. Schoolmarm used to pick at me ocasionaly when my back gave problems, you know, tease me about bein a sissy and the like.

She was rear ended on the interstate and injured her back. I waited on her hand and foot for several days. About the fourth day she she groaned, "It hurts when I blink my eyes. I'll never say another word about you and your back." She's been true to her word, even when I spent thirty days in bed after my surgery.

Everything connects to your back. I tell everyone to take care of that back!

Busted my rear two molars off at the gum line. Had things that hurt longer...much longer...and were much more disabling, but for about 45 minutes I was totally insane with the pain.

Finally found a doctor who shot me full of something that knocked me out and transferred me to a dentist who removed all, every bit, of each tooth and a small chunk of bone.

It was painful but tolerable for a couple of weeks after that.

Dang, how could I have forgotten about them kidney stones...I have passed a couple and they are about as bad as pain can get.

A couple of folks have commented on the "shuttin the car door on fingers" syndrome. I tell folks that if they have ever slammed a door on their finger......well that is how I feel all over when I wake up in the morning...ouch!

keep em commin...

some I have felt, and some I never want to feel, and some makes me just plain sad......

curley

13 years ago I came down with a severe nerve disease (Chronic-inflamatory-dimylenating-polyneuropophy (CIDP). The linning around my nerves was being destroyed. Pain in my feet and legs would burn so bad, I thought I was on fire. 2 stays in the hospital for plasma exchanges for weeks and treatment with drugs and steroids............but I made.

But, maybe the worst pain was when I feel off my horse and broke both arms. The right elbow was dislocated 3 inches (I have the impressive X-ray) and the ambulance got lost going to the hospital. Pain was at the greatest when this dumbass macho guy (me) told them to just pull and reset it........................passed out.

Not really an injury, but the most pain I ever felt was five seconds hooked up to a Taser.

The only good thing about it was when it's turned off, it quits hurting. <_<

That one I will agree with, worse than pepper spray but like you said the pain from the Taser stops after 5 seconds.

Gawwd!!!

Some of you folks have been run over by rototillers!!!

Reminds me a bit of Dreyfus, Schieder and Robert Shaw sitting below decks, swapping scar stories in Jaws....

I've been through the kidney stones; believe it or not, gallstone was worse; put me on my knees in a flash; ended up having the gallbladder removed; stone was over 1" in diameter.

But the worst accident-related pain was a tumble I took off a ladder; fell on a bucket of tools, and put a wrecking bar through my thigh; quite a site hobbling into the ER with 12" of steel sticking out of each side of my leg...

Most of us would never have survived these accidents/injuries in the 1880's; modern medicine is a marvel.

LL

Threw my shoulder out tryin to pat myself on the back once.

Had a cinch break and the saddle rolled under the horse with me still on it. Caught a hoof in the ribs ... they're still crooked.

Slipped on some ice and rolled my foot, breaking a metatarsal bone. Sounded like two bricks grating together when I walked on it. Hurt even worse when I wrestled the boot off. They wanted to cut the boot off at the ER, and I told 'em no. It was a brand new pair of Frye boots.

Clipping a curb and getting slammed into a steel light pole while on a murdercycle rates up there too. Broke my shoulder blade - on the x-ray it looked like a dinner plate dropped on a tile floor. Doc reset it by grabbing my arm and stretching it across my chest to pull all the fragments back into place. That one was worth three shots of morphine.

Of course that getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer feeling when you have a heart attack ain't much fun neither.

Toss up between getting the nail torn off my right big toe (that is the intense, short term pain) and about three weeks after I tried ice skating, wrenched my back. Two days after I had to go down the two front steps sideways, crip out to my truck, and could not get in. Cripped back to the house, had to lift my feet onto the steps and going sideways.

Besides a broken heart.....

Hands down, dat wood be when I was in da "Sandbox" da 1st go round..

IED hit our humvee (wasn't armored back den)..

Bullet bouncer caught most of da blast, but I got some of it too.

Will not wear shorts and have to see da VA sawbones alot.

Wounds received in RVN. Something exploded and shredded the first 2 guys in the column to the point where they were sent home marked "CONTENTS NOT VIEWABLE", tore me up, killed 2 guys behind me and wounded 3 more behind them. I woke up 12 days later en route back to the world with a shattered leg, shrapnel wounds all over the front of my body, and had a massive headache for a month after that.

It was but but considering the alternative...... I was told that they think that it was one of our unexploded 1000#ers set up for command detonation.... I don't know....

Several sundry horse accidents over the years that have involved everything from broken ribs to broken leg have caused me to wince a time or two. Was in a couple doozies where doctors thought it was a miracle that I was able to walk away. (Had me in the x-ray room so long once that I practically glowed in the dark when they were finished. Nothing broken.) Most painful, though, was probably a mule accident that laid me up for a good two weeks. Aftermath and complications went on for a good couple years after. Finally, a good orthopedic surgeon got me under the knife for a couple hours and I've been swell ever since.

Of course, my wife has since made me promise not to break any young horses or mules anymore. She says I should've learned something by now. :huh:

In AZ I went out into the White Tank Mt on the back of a 5 year old Arab (Real McCoy blood lines so he was a cowhorse and quiet).. and my "MOS" was a grey gelding and I ran him barefoot.. lol.. At my side were 4 guys on mules... we had the best time.. They could out do my little horse, no doubt about it.. but they gave me such a rough time about how much smarter mules are and therefore so much safer. For example they can see their back legs like a cow .. lol... So, my thoughts of course are.. just how SAFE are they? lol

Besides a broken heart.....

Hands down, dat wood be when I was in da "Sandbox" da 1st go round..

IED hit our humvee (wasn't armored back den)..

Bullet bouncer caught most of da blast, but I got some of it too.

Will not wear shorts and have to see da VA sawbones alot.

Ouch.. Apaches.. I am sorry you still hurt..

Wounds received in RVN. Something exploded and shredded the first 2 guys in the column to the point where they were sent home marked "CONTENTS NOT VIEWABLE", tore me up, killed 2 guys behind me and wounded 3 more behind them. I woke up 12 days later en route back to the world with a shattered leg, shrapnel wounds all over the front of my body, and had a massive headache for a month after that.

It was but but considering the alternative...... I was told that they think that it was one of our unexploded 1000#ers set up for command detonation.... I don't know....

Being hurt like that had to be horrible.. but losing you friends had to hurt even worse.. sorry...

Archived