SASS Wire Forum

Most painful injury you have every had...

Deja Vous

I had a horse fall on me and it did crack my pelvis, give me a concussion, and break my foot in three places... but I was only 12 so I did okay. The most painful would have been the fractured cheek bone, broken teeth, black eyes, and broken nose I suffer much later in life.. So, why is it that it hurts more as you age? I have heard kids do better.. why?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most painful of all is a broken heart.

Physical pain, well, next to an ice snow ball thrown hard that hit me in the groin, or a racket ball racket to the groin, the only other thing to put me on the ground was a kidney stone.

Physical pain, well, next to an ice snow ball thrown hard that hit me in the groin, or a racket ball racket to the groin, the only other thing to put me on the ground was a kidney stone.

Yeah.. you are right... a broken heart does hurt so much. Mine was a broken heart at the same time of my breaks.. but you know what really hurts grizzes.. is someone cheating on you. I know that for a fact, don't talk about it much it is in my past.. but it does hurt.. I am sure everyone has had that happen to them by someone they are dating.. but in the modern world. aids comes to mind along with the heart ache.. but I was talking physical injury here... cuz going downthe path of emotional pain is hard for a lot of people on here.. like losing a loved one.. that is so darn hard to do let alone have to relive it in a post.

Most impressive injury is when I was bit on the face by a Saint Bernard. Opened up the top of my cheek missing my eye by less than half an inch. I was at a commercial riding stable at the time. I didn't think much of it, so went up to the window where they rented the horses and asked for a bandaid. The gal nearly passed out, it was bleeding alot more that I realized. What hurt was seeing the gal who owned the dog kicking the crap out of the dog. I had been petting the dogs puppy, then went over to pet her, and somewhere in between she took offense. Got a bunch of stitches out of that one.

oh and I did sew a needle through my thumb once. I was making a Harry Potter costume for my son. I think what hurt most was the shot to numb the area to get the needle out. I wish I would have taken pictures. It wen all the way through the nail.

childbirth well not really an injury and honestly I had an easy time but still try pushing a 6 pound baby through that opening OUCH

Miz Grizz had back labor with our first, over 24 hours worth, she had me push hard on her back until I couldn't push any more because my hands hurt too bad. I've often said if men were the ones birthin the babys, there wouldn't be any "natural childbirth" there would be lots of drugs and C sections.

I had a horse fall on me and it did crack my pelvis, give me a concussion, and break my foot in three places... but I was only 12 so I did okay. The most painful would have been the fractured cheek bone, broken teeth, black eyes, and broken nose I suffer much later in life.. So, why is it that it hurts more as you age? I have heard kids do better.. why?

Short term, the worst was a strained lower back muscle that affected my sciatic nerve that I suffered at work last year, put me out of work for 6 weeks.

Long term, I was in a car accident 10 years ago, suffered some permanent ligament damage in my neck that still causes problems with my neck and shoulder muscles. I was stopped at a light when a kid in his mom's Pontiac Bonneville rear-ended my Mustang. Thankfully, the traffic in front of me had just started to pull ahead, so when the kid hit me he didn't shove me into somebody else, but since I had my head turned to watch him in my rear-view mirror when he hit instead of looking straight ahead, it damaged the ligaments in the right side of my neck.

Slackwater

oh and I did sew a needle through my thumb once. I was making a Harry Potter costume for my son. I think what hurt most was the shot to numb the area to get the needle out. I wish I would have taken pictures. It wen all the way through the nail.

Sweet! You should have taken pictures!

A guy I used to hunt with put a nail from a nail gun thru his foot, he went to the ER and the doc said "Wait here, I'll go get something to cut the boot off" The guy had just bought the boots so he pulled the nail out himself rather than ruin a new pair of boots.

Broken hearts and groin shots aside, the ones that come to mind are:

A pulled groin muscle. Playing football with friends. Tackle, of course. I'm running, and a guy tries to tackle me. Slides down my leg as another guy hits me, spinning me. Burning pain immediately. Anything that will leave a 16 year old male on the ground crying in front of his friends has to hurt.

A partially torn ACL. Had me almost in tears. Was even worse when the doctor examined my knee. It took a lot of self control to keep from cursing at him and questioning his intelligence, his sanity, and his desire to live.

Torn deltoid from Army combatives training. My unit's Physician's Assistant (my boss) was performing an arm bar, and when the instructor explained that lifting the hips allowed more pressure on the arm, he lifted. WOW did it hurt. Like a trooper, I tried to shake it off and keep training. Sparred with one guy, started hurting worse. Sparred with another guy who tried to get me into his guard, I used the injured arm to force my way out, and BAM, I was done. I couldn't move it without pain, I couldn't lift it without pain, I couldn't keep it still without pain. Went to the TMC and got a prescription for flexoril, which pretty much kept me out cold for three days. After that, I stopped taking it, even though my arm still hurt, because I was missing training for deployment and because I really didn't like feeling the way it made me feel. That shoulder still causes me problems.

The final one takes a bit of background. I played my first game of paintball in 1987. I had played many games, and taken some painful shots. A few years back I was playing in a weekend long scenario game. I got hit in the upper arm, along the medial, or inner part. If you know where the brachial artery is, where you check a baby's pulse, you know where I mean. There is also a nerve bundle there. First time I had been hit there in over two decades of play. At any rate, it hurt enough to have me jumping and cursing. It also left a nasty bruise. HOWEVER, out on the field the next day. I'm moving along, and I take a shot to the exact same spot. Dropped me like a rock. Tears in my eyes, can't speak, can barely breathe. Five, maybe ten seconds of the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. After, a dull throbbing and numb fingers for another five minutes or so.

Not really an injury, but the most pain I ever felt was five seconds hooked up to a Taser.

The only good thing about it was when it's turned off, it quits hurting. <_<

Not really an injury, but the most pain I ever felt was five seconds hooked up to a Taser.

The only good thing about it was when it's turned off, it quits hurting. <_<

Reminds me of a joke I hear from my daughter's cross country team. When asked why they run, they'll respond "because it feels so good when we stop. The longer we run, the better it feels."

Griz states it best.

Only difference was a medicine ball instead of a snowball.

Oh... and then there was the time I got my thumb caught in the door of my Fiat Spider.... da-yum!!

I had my hand on the pillar of our old ford station wagon and my mom closed the door on my fingers, it took several minutes for her to understand what had happened and open the door.

I agree with a Broken Heart and it took a long time to heal and secound was damn Kidney Stones as well with me. Both hurt anyway I sit or layed. Have had broken ribs three times and a shattered wrist and knifed a number of times with three being major knifings and with one the blade was broken off in the wound and never knew I was cut up till the blood started to pour out. Also have been shot three times as well and other than when the bullets hit that felt like someone hitting me with a baseball bat and a couple no idea at all I had been hit and I felt no pain what so ever from the wound and again the first sign I knew I had been shot was when the blood started to pour out from the wound. Most of the knife work was done by Mexicans in Mexico as well as a couple of gunshot wounds and from down that way as well. When I was younger I never used hearing protection and now I have a hard times hearing. I was in Mexico a couple of years ago with a lady friend and as I was walking past a car a driver was yelling something in my direction and I thought he was yelling at me and when I asked my lady friend what he was saying as I was ready to put my fist in his mouth she explaned to me that he was telling the other person in his car that he tought he had head lice and needed to see a doctor.

Texas Man

Aside from horse stompings I've taken I'd say the worst was at 8 years old. tree limb to the right eye. Went straight in over the eye ball and down the back putting what the doc called "the worst eye cut" he had ever seen.

Amazingly it took no surgery just six months down in the right eye. Today it is my dominate eye for shooting and the same eye that was effected by Bell's Palsy last fall.

Medangedold right eye can't take much more, but I can still see good enough to shoot.

Been stabbed a few times and shot once. Broken leg in three places, two broke ribs, arm and collar bone broke........and all in one shot. That horse desided to do a sideways belly flop on me. :blink:

~EE Taft~

I had a horse roll on me, broke a rib. All was relatively OK until I got the flu a couple of days later, the heaves with a rib problem was really, really bad. Incredibly excruciating, even with the ribs bound up as much as I could get it.

4) Got shot in the leg by a .22 in a hunting accident. I was kid though so I healed fast and I was more scared/shock than in pain.

3) Car accident when I was 13 had a concussion and banged up purty good.

2) The one that has lasted the longest was a sprained ankle about 8 yrs ago. I missed the last step while carrying a chair down to the basement. Ta this day it still gets stiff and hurts a little especialy when it's cold.

1) However I would say the most intense pain was a dislocated shoulder in a high school football game. When the trainer popped it back in, I screamed and dang near fainted from the pain.

Chili Pepper Kid

Darn.. you guys have had some pain for sure.. lol.. Being a gal i didn't play a lot of sports.. But I will say my favorite one training horse hurt often and a lot.. lol. I have had a few horse accidents and they do hurt.. but nothing hurts like emotional pain that people can deliver on you..

Two years ago, I fell a day after knee surgery while in the bathroom of my hospital room. Landed right on the new knee, ripped out thirty-five metal staples, popped the "appliance" out of place so badly it was sticking out the side of the knee where the staples had been. The floor and walls of the bathroom looked like a murder scene out of "Reservoir Dogs"!! :D:o (lost four units of blood)

Not only did it hurt like He!! that day, it has hurt every single day since then and that was two years ago. But from what I've heard, a kidney stone is just the worst (at least for us guys).

Two years ago, I fell a day after knee surgery while in the bathroom of my hospital room. Landed right on the new knee, ripped out thirty-five metal staples, popped the "appliance" out of place so badly it was sticking out the side of the knee where the staples had been. The floor and walls of the bathroom looked like a murder scene out of "Reservoir Dogs"!! :D:o (lost four units of blood)

Not only did it hurt like He!! that day, it has hurt every single day since then and that was two years ago. But from what I've heard, a kidney stone is just the worst (at least for us guys).

Dadgum Bama! That don't sound like fun at all!!!

~EE Taft~

Darn Bamas I hurt now.. lol

I was working out at the gym abd blew a disc. It hurt so much I almost fainted. I still don't know how I made it home. Anyway two days later I was in for back surgery, then two months in a wheelchair, one month on a walker and five months with a cane. By the way I still go to the same gym and ride a bicycle twice a week as long as it doesn't rain.

Yeah.. you are right... a broken heart does hurt so much. Mine was a broken heart at the same time of my breaks.. but you know what really hurts grizzes.. is someone cheating on you. I know that for a fact, don't talk about it much it is in my past.. but it does hurt.. I am sure everyone has had that happen to them by someone they are dating.. but in the modern world. aids comes to mind along with the heart ache.. but I was talking physical injury here... cuz going downthe path of emotional pain is hard for a lot of people on here.. like losing a loved one.. that is so darn hard to do let alone have to relive it in a post.

Hon', when you watch a dream die - then you feel the worst pain of all. Whether it's what you talked of,

or even just the slow death of an old relationship - the death of a dream is the worst pain of all.

All the rest is just stuff, and it passes . . . .

Yeah girl, walked that road - I agree . . . .

SC

been a carpenter for 25 years and a horseshoer for 20 years concurrent

I will start with, in no particular order,

3rd degree burns on 20% of my body,

crack my skull open about 6 inches,

slammed my left ankle with a 12# sled hammer,

sprained my right ankle a week after my grandmas 100 birthday that was 3 years ago and it still hearts,

been shot with a nail gun about a dozen times,

slipped a disc in my lower back 3 different times (it sucks watching this old man cry),

horse kick me in the right butt check left a nice horseshoe bruise on my butt(I thought his one was funny afterwords),

kicked in the chest by a horse,

I will not mention the few time I caught rock salt as a kid

or the numerous times I have been kick, stomped, thrown and sat on by horses

I know there is more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

:D :D :D :D

I agree with a Broken Heart and it took a long time to heal and secound was damn Kidney Stones as well with me. Both hurt anyway I sit or layed. Have had broken ribs three times and a shattered wrist and knifed a number of times with three being major knifings and with one the blade was broken off in the wound and never knew I was cut up till the blood started to pour out. Also have been shot three times as well and other than when the bullets hit that felt like someone hitting me with a baseball bat and a couple no idea at all I had been hit and I felt no pain what so ever from the wound and again the first sign I knew I had been shot was when the blood started to pour out from the wound. Most of the knife work was done by Mexicans in Mexico as well as a couple of gunshot wounds and from down that way as well. When I was younger I never used hearing protection and now I have a hard times hearing. I was in Mexico a couple of years ago with a lady friend and as I was walking past a car a driver was yelling something in my direction and I thought he was yelling at me and when I asked my lady friend what he was saying as I was ready to put my fist in his mouth she explaned to me that he was telling the other person in his car that he tought he had head lice and needed to see a doctor.

Texas Man

=================================================

Pard, yer exploits remind of one of my favorite poems, by Shel Silverstein:

THE WINNER

The hulk of a man with a beer in his hand looked like a drunk old fool,

And I knew that if I hit him right, I could knock him off that stool.

But everybody said, "Watch out -- that's Tiger Man McCool.

He's had a whole lot of fights, and he always come out the winner.

Yeah, he's a winner."

But I'd had myself about five too many, and I walked up tall and proud,

I faced his back and I faced the fact that he'd never stooped or bowed.

I said, "Tiger Man, you're a pussycat," and a hush fell on the crowd,

I said, "Let's you and me go outside and see who's the winner"

Well, he gripped the bar with one big hairy hand and he braced against the wall,

He slowly looked up from his beer -- my God, that man was tall.

He said, "Boy, I see you're a scrapper, so just before you fall,

I'm gonna tell you just a little what a means to be a winner."

He said, "You see these bright white smilin' teeth, you know they ain't my own.

Mine rolled away like Chiclets down a street in San Antone.

But I left that person cursin', nursin' seven broken bones.

And he only broke three of mine, and that make me a winner."

He said, "Behind his grin, I got a steel pin that holds my jaw in place.

A trophy of my most successful motorcycle race.

And every mornin' when I wake and touch this scar across my face,

It reminds me of all I got by bein' a winner.

Now my broken back was the dyin' act of handsome Harry Clay

That sticky Cincinnatti night I stole his wife away.

But that woman, she gets uglier and meaner every day.

But I got her, boy, and that's what makes me a winner.

You gotta speak loud when you challenge me, son, 'cause it's hard for me to hear

With this twisted neck and these migraine pains and this cauliflower ear.

'N' if it weren't for this glass eye of mine, I'd shed a happy tear

To think of all you'll get by bein' a winner.

I got arthuritic elbows, boy, I got dislocated knees,

From pickin' fights with thunderstorms and chargin' into trees.

And my nose been broke so often I might lose it if I sneeze.

And, son, you say you still wanna be a winner?

My spine is short three vertebrae and my hip is screwed together.

My ankles warn me every time there'll be a change in weather.

Guess I kicked too many asses, and when the kicks all get together,

They sure can slow you down when you're a winner.

My knuckles are so swollen I can hardly make a fist.

Who would have thought old Charlie had a blade taped to his wrist?

And my blind eye's where he cut me, and my good eye's where he missed.

Yeah, you lose a couple of things when you're a winner.

My head is just a bunch of clumps and lumps and bumps and scars

From chargin' broken bottles and buttin' crowded bars.

And this hernia -- well, it only proves a man can't lift a car.

But you're expected to do it all when you're a winner.

Got a steel plate inside my skull, underneath this store-bought hair.

My pelvis is aluminum from takin' ladies' dares.

And if you had a magnet, son, you could lift me off my chair.

I'm a man of steel, but I'm rustin' -- what a winner.

I got a perforated ulcer, I got strictures and incisions.

My prostate's barely holdin' up from those all-night collisions.

And I'll have to fight two of you because of my double vision.

You're lookin' sick, son -- that ain't right for a winner.

Winnin' that last stock-car rce cost me my favorite toes.

Winnin' that factory foreman's job, it browned and broke my nose.

And these hemorrhoids come from winnin' all them goddamn rodeos.

Sometimes it's a pain in the butt to be a winner.

In the war, I got the Purple Heart, that's why my nerves are gone.

And I ruined my liver in drinkin' contests, which I always won.

And I should be retired now, rockin' on my lawn,

But you losers keep comin' on -- makin' me a winner.

When I walk, you can hear my pelvis rattle, creak and crack

From my great Olympic Hump-Off with that nymphomaniac,

After which I spent the next six weeks in traction on my back,

While whe walked off smilin' -- leavin' me the winner.

Now, as I kick in your family jewels, you'll notice my left leg drags,

And this jacket's kinda padded up where my right shoulder sags,

And there's a special part of me I keep in this paper bag,

And I'll show it to you -- if you want to see all of the winner.

So I never play the violin and I seldom dance or ski.

They say there never was a hero brave and strong as me.

But when you're this year's hero, son, you're next year's used-to-be.

And that's the facts of life -- when you're a winner.

Now, you remind me a lot of my younger days with your knuckles clenchin' white.

But, boy, I'm gonna sit right here and sip this beer all night.

And if there's somethin' you gotta prove by winnin' some silly fight,

Well, OK, I quit, I lose, son, you're the winner."

So I stumbled from that barroom not so tall and not so proud,

And behind me I could hear the hoots of laughter from the crowd.

But my eyes still see and my nose still works and my teeth are still in my mouth.

And y'know...I guess that makes me...a winner.

Hon', when you watch a dream die - then you feel the worst pain of all. Whether it's what you talked of,

or even just the slow death of an old relationship - the death of a dream is the worst pain of all.

All the rest is just stuff, and it passes . . . .

Yeah girl, walked that road - I agree . . . .

SC

Hey shaddows. .sometimes you have to let the dream just go, huh? lol I know that now.. And I am doing just that.. My grandmother told me once that i listen too much.. lol.. I need to set my heart and simply do.. And I am going to..

Texas Man

The broken heart I guess is the most painful.. But a broken heart with a right is more painful.. lol. And that with the pain of a reationships that was stealing and draining on you as only a cheater druggie can.. makes you pretty unable to form a relationship out there..

I have a very good friend who tells me the other shoe is not going to drop.. All I can do is close my eyes and hope that is true.. Never once with my eyes open have I seen that to be true. So the vision is hard to understand.

Several sundry horse accidents over the years that have involved everything from broken ribs to broken leg have caused me to wince a time or two. Was in a couple doozies where doctors thought it was a miracle that I was able to walk away. (Had me in the x-ray room so long once that I practically glowed in the dark when they were finished. Nothing broken.) Most painful, though, was probably a mule accident that laid me up for a good two weeks. Aftermath and complications went on for a good couple years after. Finally, a good orthopedic surgeon got me under the knife for a couple hours and I've been swell ever since.

Of course, my wife has since made me promise not to break any young horses or mules anymore. She says I should've learned something by now. :huh:

I'm sitting here now with the bandages around my knee (post surgery today),

Actually feels good now, BUT ....

I got hit sideways carrying the football downfield at age 16 - THAT hurt so bad, thought I'd pass out :blink:

Fifty some years of further abuse, was time to repair it :)

Broken ribs, dislocated shoulders, various other injuries all hurt. But none of then can hold a candle to a kidney stone. Women who have had both natural childbirth and kidney stones have told me the stone was much worse.

If you've had a kidney stone, you know what I mean. If you haven't, consider yourself lucky. The only good this is you know immediately when it passes. It's like someone threw a switch and turned off the pain. One minute you're rolling on the floor screaming in pain and the next you're completely calm as if nothing ever happened.

Archived