SASS Wire Forum

Chevy Volt fails to start during car show

Slim we agree. GE paid nothing, zero, not a penny, on $5 Billion in domestic profit last year. The oil companies not only pay no taxes but they get billions is subsities every year, year in and year out. Farmers are paid billions in ag welfare every year. At the same time my little company paid at the highest corporate rate. I wish somebody would look out for those of us who don't contribute millions to politicians of all stripes at all levels. I used to think that is what we should expect when we elect them, but the older I get the less I believe anybody in Topeka, Columbia, or DC is looking out for us.

Are views are the same, but different I guess...I don't think anyone is 'entitled' to anything...but a state, county, city should have the ability to offer incentives to compete for a business. At times people are voted in by their constituents for that purpose ~

GG ~ :FlagAm:

:FlagAm::FlagAm: And this time they bought stock in GM!! :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I'm not in favor of more taxes, incentives, or subsidies by big brother. Along with that the governement has its nose way too deep in the business of companies and individuals. It really is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The Governement has been using taxes to stimulate the economy or control it for ever. What do you think the WPA was in the 30's? My Uncle got paid not to plant all of his acerage as a means of not saturating the market with wheat and corn causing the prices to drop. Dairies got subsidies to stay in business because the price of dairy products fell.

If Ford, GM, or Chrysler went out of business it would impact the entire global economy. Remeber "American" cars/trucks aren't made in America anymore. At least most of the parts. And other countries by USA made vehicles.

GE didn't pay taxes! Did you investigate to see why? If they had a loss for the year with no net revenue at the bottom line they wouldn't. They did pay payroll taxes, and I'm sure sales tax on purchases, and import taxes on some products/parts. I'll venture to guess that everyone of you does everything you can to pay as little to taxes each year that you can get away with! My company does everything it can to not pay taxes. Why..............so we can put the money in our pockets and share it with our employees. That stimulates the lcoal economy.

The reality of this is if Ford goes out of business hundreds of thousands of people would be impacted. A small local business, not so much. Ford was ready to leave so the locals did what they had to keep them and their economy stable. I'll bet anything the place they were moving to was offering tax incentives or redevelopment money to get them there to boost their economy.

As to the VOLT, it is just like all of the other Hybred's or Electric vehicles. They require a means to keep the battery charged while driving distances or at higher speeds.

Done for now

Ike

I'm not in favor of more taxes, incentives, or subsidies by big brother. Along with that the governement has its nose way too deep in the business of companies and individuals. It really is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The Governement has been using taxes to stimulate the economy or control it for ever. What do you think the WPA was in the 30's? My Uncle got paid not to plant all of his acerage as a means of not saturating the market with wheat and corn causing the prices to drop. Dairies got subsidies to stay in business because the price of dairy products fell.

If Ford, GM, or Chrysler went out of business it would impact the entire global economy. Remeber "American" cars/trucks aren't made in America anymore. At least most of the parts. And other countries by USA made vehicles.

GE didn't pay taxes! Did you investigate to see why? If they had a loss for the year with no net revenue at the bottom line they wouldn't. They did pay payroll taxes, and I'm sure sales tax on purchases, and import taxes on some products/parts. I'll venture to guess that everyone of you does everything you can to pay as little to taxes each year that you can get away with! My company does everything it can to not pay taxes. Why..............so we can put the money in our pockets and share it with our employees. That stimulates the lcoal economy.

The reality of this is if Ford goes out of business hundreds of thousands of people would be impacted. A small local business, not so much. Ford was ready to leave so the locals did what they had to keep them and their economy stable. I'll bet anything the place they were moving to was offering tax incentives or redevelopment money to get them there to boost their economy.

As to the VOLT, it is just like all of the other Hybred's or Electric vehicles. They require a means to keep the battery charged while driving distances or at higher speeds.

Done for now

Ike

Straight thinkin' right there pard! ;)

Sorry for the continued hijack.

I just had to tell my kindred spirit, MMJ, that we have a Liberty. It's a great little car/van Jeep. I can even park in compact car spaces and do, out of consideration for others. We also have a Wrangler, which is a great little Jeep.

I replaced a Grand Cherokee with the Liberty. All are/were 4WD.

It seems we always keep our vehicles 10 years or more. So, I guess I can't complain too much about them. The GC was 12 when the transmission went. The Wrangler is 10 and the Liberty is 5. Nice thing about Jeeps, they keep the same basic body style for years.

Just saying... ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

It's a Jeep thing, others just don't understand! :) Keep that Wrangler!

Since we're not allowed to discuss politics on the wire, I won't even get started on the counter point to this bunch on bull. :wacko:

You can call it what you want, but EVERYBODY gets affected one way or the other when a big industry shuts down. Our automotive group has shed 100s of jobs recently, andd it would have been 100s more if GM failed. We make parts for ALL of them, but GM is huge, and its effect on the supplier industry is pretty dramatic. As I said before, it could have been done differently, but as others have stated, the government GIVES money for subsidies and bailouts all the time, and I'm happy GM survived....

Slim we agree. GE paid nothing, zero, not a penny, on $5 Billion in domestic profit last year. The oil companies not only pay no taxes but they get billions is subsities every year, year in and year out. Farmers are paid billions in ag welfare every year. At the same time my little company paid at the highest corporate rate. I wish somebody would look out for those of us who don't contribute millions to politicians of all stripes at all levels. I used to think that is what we should expect when we elect them, but the older I get the less I believe anybody in Topeka, Columbia, or DC is looking out for us.

Bart:

According to reporting today, GE paid over $14 BILLION in US taxes over the last 5 years; last year was a anomoly due to low domestic profit and huge (but legal) write-offs at GE Capital (the housing and crdit crunches caused whopper losses, which offset profits).

LL

GE, Oil companies, whatever business. Corporations do everything they can to show a profit which then can be distributed to the shareholders whether they are public or private. And if after expenses and distribution and writing off losses, which the IRS allows they pay no coporate tax to the Fed's then they have done their job. On the other hand the shareholders unpon receiving their distributions or profits from sales of stock pay taxes. Either as direct income or capital gains. No matter how you look at it the IRS gets theirs eventually.

The real issue here is that people think when large companies make thousands, millions or billions in profit they are ripping off the public and not paying taxes. This is still a capitalistic economy and the suppliers will charge as much as they can until the consumer says no more. Supply and demand is the rule. They got it, you want it, what are you willing to pay?

So somebody made 5 billion in profit. How much gross revenue did they take in to get down to that? The net profit may only be 10% of gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. One needs to look at the whole story before we make assumptions.

The other part of this is how much is too much tax? When the Gov takes 50% of what you earn whats right about that? NO equality there.

Done for now.

Ike

I too buy a vehicle and drive it for 10+ years if it will hold together. I doubt those fancy batteries in the hybrid/electric cars are going to last 10 years. Before buying one, ask about the battery warranty and then go to the parts counter and ask what a replacement set of batteries is gonna cost ya. I suspect it will be thousands of dollars.

GE, Oil companies, whatever business. Corporations do everything they can to show a profit which then can be distributed to the shareholders whether they are public or private. And if after expenses and distribution and writing off losses, which the IRS allows they pay no coporate tax to the Fed's then they have done their job. On the other hand the shareholders unpon receiving their distributions or profits from sales of stock pay taxes. Either as direct income or capital gains. No matter how you look at it the IRS gets theirs eventually.

The real issue here is that people think when large companies make thousands, millions or billions in profit they are ripping off the public and not paying taxes. This is still a capitalistic economy and the suppliers will charge as much as they can until the consumer says no more. Supply and demand is the rule. They got it, you want it, what are you willing to pay?

So somebody made 5 billion in profit. How much gross revenue did they take in to get down to that? The net profit may only be 10% of gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. One needs to look at the whole story before we make assumptions.

The other part of this is how much is too much tax? When the Gov takes 50% of what you earn whats right about that? NO equality there.

Done for now.

Ike

Trust me, I have no problem with GE per se. If they figured out a way to legally shelter their income I am down with them sheltering their income. That said they have over 500 tax lobbiests on their payroll convincing our congress critters to give the special tax loopholes. I want a tax that is fair for everybody. It is hard enough to compete with the bigs straight up. It is impossible when congress has stacked the deck. Lower corporate taxes to zero for everybody then raise the rates on individuals. I don't care, just make the playing field level.

Some of ya'll may not have a problem with the government taking your money and giving to privately corporations, but I do. Last I checked I still live in America, where, supposedly, our economy is free-enterprise based. If you have a company which makes a good product that folks need or want, you market that product effectively, and you make good decisions your company should prosper. If you make bad decisions, such as GM made you should take the consequences. You should NOT run to the government with your hand out crying for a bail-out!

The money the government takes from us is NOT their money to do with as they damn well please. It is OUR money and the Constitution limits what they are supposed to use it for. Bail-outs ain't in there. Period. If GM's failure affected your job or your business tough. We had a nursery for 32 years. When we were hurting financially we just worked harder, for more hours and took home less, tried to make learn from our mistakes and make better decisions the next time. Remember, every dollar they dole out to one person is a dollar they TOOK from somebody else. What makes Mr. UAW Union Man or Mr. GM Executive better than me or mine so that our government thinks it's ok to TAKE money from us and use it to bail them out? Especially when Mr. UAW Union Man's high salary and benefits and pension plan is a big part of the reason GM is in trouble. or Mr. GM Executive makes more in one year than most folks will make in a lifetime and Mr. GM Executive doesn't even have to make good decisions?

And for the record I still think GM would not have folded. They would have renegotiated union contracts. They would have renegotiated some loans. They would have had to do some things that would have made them stronger in the long run. Not now. they don't have to do these things now, but they'll be coming back with their hands out again down the road and I hope we have politicians in office then that will just say NO!

Pissed off marsupial

....I will never buy another GM product. :angry: What a sham...shame.

Possum

I have my own issues with GM, in that I am not into OnStar. It puts a bug in your car. The FBI (I read) sued them because they were listening in on their conversations in the car. They can shut your car off, slow it down... It tracks all your driving...

Remember when people complained about radar-issued tickets? We're used to it now? Well, in the future, when legislated, they'll be able to issue you a ticket based on your car's GPS reporting, won't they? (I drive really easy, anyway, but I don't like the idea of it.)

My car's a Mustang. I love it. It has the synch system in it, and it'll also give me directions, report things, if it wants, or call 911 in an accident. But it has an off switch, in that it goes through my cell phone, I'm told. I haven't used that off switch, but I just think it's nice to have it.

Aunt Jen

I have my own issues with GM, in that I am not into OnStar. It puts a bug in your car. The FBI (I read) sued them because they were listening in on their conversations in the car. They can shut your car off, slow it down... It tracks all your driving...

Remember when people complained about radar-issued tickets? We're used to it now? Well, in the future, when legislated, they'll be able to issue you a ticket based on your car's GPS reporting, won't they? (I drive really easy, anyway, but I don't like the idea of it.)

My car's a Mustang. I love it. It has the synch system in it, and it'll also give me directions, report things, if it wants, or call 911 in an accident. But it has an off switch, in that it goes through my cell phone, I'm told. I haven't used that off switch, but I just think it's nice to have it.

Aunt Jen

In the future GPS tickets would not surprise me in the least. Here we have robot cameras that issue tickets which I think is just the tip of the iceberg.

Anybody who has read about the Volt knows it's not a totally electric vehicle. Beck is a moron.

With the price of gas these days I'd love to have an electric F-250 but it ain't gonna happen in my lifetime I'm afraid.

Wouldn't e able afford one anyway. :angry:

This all started with a comment that "Glen Beck said," I am sorry but am sick of all the opinionated blowhards on TV. If I want to know what people think I just ask the folks around me or on the web. I don't need Beck (Fox) or Schultz (MSNBC) or any of the rest of them telling me what to think. They all work for the same corporations and all those corporations are out to separate me from my money.

I wish we could go back to the straight up news. Let me figure out what it means. If I want somebody's opinion I can read the newspaper.

re: "we've had a Jeep in our garage since 1984"

.....geez, don't spread kinda story around.....my Wrangler lives out by the barn & don't know about garages & such....

This all started with a comment that "Glen Beck said," I am sorry but am sick of all the opinionated blowhards on TV. If I want to know what people think I just ask the folks around me or on the web. I don't need Beck (Fox) or Schultz (MSNBC) or any of the rest of them telling me what to think. They all work for the same corporations and all those corporations are out to separate me from my money.

I wish we could go back to the straight up news. Let me figure out what it means. If I want somebody's opinion I can read the newspaper.

:lol: You can always change the channel...

Anybody who has read about the Volt knows it's not a totally electric vehicle. Beck is a moron.

With the price of gas these days I'd love to have an electric F-250 but it ain't gonna happen in my lifetime I'm afraid.

Wouldn't e able afford one anyway. :angry:

Seriously?... an electric F250?? :lol: That's funny right there.

You want to really get PO today. I don't believe that any business that is private should be able to take public money. My wife and I have a home design service. We draw blueprints for home construction. We are draftsman. Our business has been taking in water with every breathe since 2007. We have sold over 39 guns, boat, motorcycle and the list goes on to stay alive these past few years. They have several US congressmen who take millions of dollars in farm subsidies every year. That is where you have so many acres of land and you collect money to "NOT GROW" certain crops. Talk about a shame and it has been going on for over thirty years IIRC. This is much worse than the car deals because it is a well kept little secret. I am on disability and they decided that I had plenty of money and have not given us a raise in two years while they received little packages to help them out. I'm sorry I have to take a break so I can throw up!!

Guest Texas Jack Black

Learn to work within the system and make it work for you. Plain and simple. To the government we are just a number and could care less about us.

I invest where I can maximize my dollars and I am smiling. :)

T J B

I watched 'Freeloaders' with John Stossel a few days ago - they are going to re-air it...talk about wanting to throw up

Hope you enjoy the show :blink:

http://stossel.blogs...x-news-channel/

http://nation.foxnew...ion-freeloaders

Interesting program...

Yeah...but the horse is out of the barn. Every network's "news department" is a subsection of an entertainment division; pretty boy news readers have displaced real journalists who earned their bones on the battlefields of Europe, the Pacific and Southeast Asia; serious stories are displaced by puff pieces on Hollywood types; talking heads, pseudo-experts, celebrities, and self-important airbags have filled the digital environment with as much phoney controversy as they can, apparently on the premise that it sells. It's gotten to the point that you can't tell Springer from Kouric.

What ever happened to the FCC requirement that stations regularly demonstrate that they are operating in the public interest? I suppose that went south with deregulation. Broadcast "journalism" is a joke.

LL

Seriously?... an electric F250?? :lol: That's funny right there.

I can dream can't I?

Archived