SASS Wire Forum

barrel lengths

evil dogooder

Hi all

Ok I know most speed demons like the 4 3/4, 4 5/8 because its a fraction quicker.

Also know that the longer barreled revolvers give a better sight picture.

What do you shoot?

My hunting revolver is a 4 5/8 new blackhawk in 45. Lc its always worked but the only reason I procured it was because it was $450 and at that time I only had that much to spend. I have always loved the longer barrels. Since I'm just starting is there a valid reason why I need to buy a shorter barrel? Also if its all about speed then why isn't everybody shooting sherrifs models?

Thanks in advance for the education of a newbie

Evil

Do a search, this question comes up frequently. Bottom line is that barrel length is simply a matter of personal preference. Shoot what feels good to YOU. What others shoot makes no difference.

Just reread your post and noticed you asked about Sheriff's models. There is a point of diminishing returns with short and long barrels. As you go below 4" the sight radius shrinks and it makes hitting the target quickly more difficult as you have to spend more time on sight alignment. As you go over 7 1/2" then you have a problem with clearing leather. That's why you don't see many people shooting Buntlines.

Your gonna get a bazillion replies. None of 'em right. It all depends on the individual shooter. Personally, I never met a barrel too short as long as it had an ejector rod on it. My preference is 3 1/2 inch barrel.

Coffinmaker

I'm with CC on this one as I also shoot Sheriff's model Rugers.

Evil: its a matter of preference and what will feel best for you.

There are speed demons like Lassiter who shoot 7.5".

Bud shoots 5.5"

Deuce shoot ANYTHING you put in his hands.

Speed is more subject to the shooters abilities, assuming you put a good pistol in their hands.

..........Widder

Since most of our time is lost during transitions, such as drawing, holstering, etc, longer barrels such as 7 1/2 increase the risk of a fumble. When you are smooth, it probably matters very little, but when you miss that holster, it seems to take a long time! :D

So most folks like the 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inch barrels. Although even a 3 1/2 will work great if that is what you want, they are just not quite as easy to find.

Do you put catsup or mustard on a hotdog? If you say catsup, then you must be wrong because I like mustard, and therefore I'm right... :rolleyes:

Seriously, the whole thing is purely subjective. A longer barrel (7-1/2") has the advantage of a longer sight radius, and greater inertia, plus greater resistance to whatever recoil there may be in your loads. OTOH, the greater inertia is somewhat of an impediment to moving to the next target, though maybe not that much. A shorter barrel will be somewhat quicker to move to the next target, but you are coming down out of recoil anyway, unless you are using loads so light as to be a hazard.

Best thing is to go to a match or two and ask to shoot various guns with various barrel lengths. The decide for yourself.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

And the right ANSWER is !!!!

The one On Your Firearm !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Haven't bought them yet. Right now all I have are two shotguns for sass

Evil

Personally, I like the 7.5" barrels on my 45 Vaqueros. I find they balance just right, and recoil is easier to manage as well.

I tried shorter barreled pistols, and the longer tubes work better for me.

Besides, the smart guys at Colt originally decided that 7.5" was the ideal length for the 1873 and that's good enough for me.

I shoot 4 3/4" Colts for CFDA and CC (2x duelist) I have 7 1/2" in 357 that I love when I shoot GF. I thought the 4 3/4 would be faster.... then I saw Quick Cal shooting sub .400 times with a 7 1/2".

The more I shoot this game, the more I realize that talent, practice and determination make more of a difference than all the bells and whistles. Shoot what you like.

Do you put catsup or mustard on a hotdog? If you say catsup, then you must be wrong because I like mustard, and therefore I'm right... :rolleyes:

Seriously, the whole thing is purely subjective. A longer barrel (7-1/2") has the advantage of a longer sight radius, and greater inertia, plus greater resistance to whatever recoil there may be in your loads. OTOH, the greater inertia is somewhat of an impediment to moving to the next target, though maybe not that much. A shorter barrel will be somewhat quicker to move to the next target, but you are coming down out of recoil anyway, unless you are using loads so light as to be a hazard.

Best thing is to go to a match or two and ask to shoot various guns with various barrel lengths. The decide for yourself.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Ill be using factory ammo. Until I buy my own guns.

My goal for outfit is to have twin crossed tied down low slung holsters shooting gunfighter or b western. Shooting one handed. I don't need to draw and transfer because I can shoot with either hand. I so love sass. Its the first place besides my dads farm where I wont get into trouble for doing that.

The problem is I have a young family so I can't afford to go buy my dream guns so I was hoping to avoid making expensive mistakes. I've shot barrels from snubbies to eight inch I like the longer ones but I found a good deal on sherrifs. For the first while I'm just going to be shooting what I can afford until I can save enough to purchase what I really want

Thanks

Evil

I started out by shooting guns that were a good deal. One was a bisley and one was an entry level SAA clone. The SAA was 4 3/4 and the Bisley 5 1/2. I do not recommend doing that. I started off shooting two handed and hated the SAA. Switched to double duelist and found out the Bisley was not me. Now I got me some 3 3/4 Rugers trying gun fighter and everything is right with the world.

If you like the long barrels and 45s, CDNN is blowing out the last of the 7 & 1/2" New Vaqueros for $399. When they are gone, they will be gone as Ruger discontinued them and very doubtful they will ever be made again.

I like all 3 barrel lengths.

But I ususally shoot the 4 & 5/8 and 4 & 3/4 for CAS. But, slow as I am, I don't find the 7.5s to be any kind of a handicap. After all, Paladin, Matt Dillon, Lassiter and others of my heroes did and do just fine with the long barrels.

I started out with 7 1/2" Old Armies and not too deluxe leather. I ended up spending a lot of time just getting my guns out and then back into leather. I had regular straight hang holsters on a standard gun belt. When I had funds to redo things a bit better to my liking, I bought a couple of Ruger Bisley Vaquero's with 5 1/2" barrels (that's the only way they come), I would have got shorter barrels if they had been available. I also bought a Kirkpatrick Leather Long hunter 09 B Western Rig. The belt is a standard 3" wide belt, but the holsters are drop holsters allowing the guns to seat and the butt of the gun not rising above the top edge of the belt. The combination of the two, low hung holsters and short barrels allowed me to draw the guns effortlessly and get on target. The combination was just what I needed. Smithy.

My goal for outfit is to have twin crossed tied down low slung holsters shooting gunfighter or b western. Shooting one handed. I don't need to draw and transfer because I can shoot with either hand. I so love sass. Its the first place besides my dads farm where I wont get into trouble for doing that.

The problem is I have a young family so I can't afford to go buy my dream guns so I was hoping to avoid making expensive mistakes. I've shot barrels from snubbies to eight inch I like the longer ones but I found a good deal on sherrifs. For the first while I'm just going to be shooting what I can afford until I can save enough to purchase what I really want

Thanks

Evil

Sure hope you don't spend a lot on that leather you are dreaming about/purchasing. Save some money for your second less radical set of leather, you will likely use it a lot more. The bulk of shooters shoot revolvers with barrels between 4 5/8 to about 6 inches or so. Sure hope you learn to shoot well one handed before you show up at a shoot and intend to shoot gunfighter that way, safely, especially with that far out leather. Just dreaming about a rig doesn't mean it will work well. Better recommendation is to attend a couple of shoots, attend a new shooter class at your local club if they have one, borrow some gear and see what works best. If you want to learn to shoot one handed, do it by shooting duelist for a while first until you can do it very well safely, then move on to gunfighter. Starting out in the sport shooting gunfighter is a steep hill to climb, especially safely. Dreaming about shooting gunfighter doesn't mean you are capable of doing so. I see a few new shooters that show up with their own dream of the game without trying it, invest in some guns and leather that are very unique and it lasts a shoot or two before they are looking for something a lot more mainstream and have all the original gear for sale at a lot less than they paid for it.

If you like the long barrels and 45s, CDNN is blowing out the last of the 7 & 1/2" New Vaqueros for $399. When they are gone, they will be gone as Ruger discontinued them and very doubtful they will ever be made again.

I like all 3 barrel lengths.

But I ususally shoot the 4 & 5/8 and 4 & 3/4 for CAS. But, slow as I am, I don't find the 7.5s to be any kind of a handicap. After all, Paladin, Matt Dillon, Lassiter and others of my heroes did and do just fine with the long barrels.

Ok to show you how new I am what is cdnn?

Evil

I shoot everything from 3 1/2" to 18", and haven't won a Cadillac with any of 'em yet. I shoot 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" most often. It's a game, shoot what ya want and have fun. :)

Sure hope you don't spend a lot on that leather you are dreaming about/purchasing. Save some money for your second less radical set of leather, you will likely use it a lot more. The bulk of shooters shoot revolvers with barrels between 4 5/8 to about 6 inches or so. Sure hope you learn to shoot well one handed before you show up at a shoot and intend to shoot gunfighter that way, safely, especially with that far out leather. Just dreaming about a rig doesn't mean it will work well. Better recommendation is to attend a couple of shoots, attend a new shooter class at your local club if they have one, borrow some gear and see what works best. If you want to learn to shoot one handed, do it by shooting duelist for a while first until you can do it very well safely, then move on to gunfighter. Starting out in the sport shooting gunfighter is a steep hill to climb, especially safely. Dreaming about shooting gunfighter doesn't mean you are capable of doing so. I see a few new shooters that show up with their own dream of the game without trying it, invest in some guns and leather that are very unique and it lasts a shoot or two before they are looking for something a lot more mainstream and have all the original gear for sale at a lot less than they paid for it.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I know I wont be a speed person and truethfully I dont ever intend to become one. I joined sass to have an activity that my father and I can both enjoy. Shooting and dressing up.

As for shooting one handed I've been doing that for over twenty years. The people I learned from were firm believers in mastering shooting with one hand first. Reason being if you can handle the gun with one hand you won't have any problem with shooting with two hands.while learning with two can make it difficult to shoot one handed.

I know my dream outfit isn't exactly practical but like I said its my dream rig. I wont have it anytime in the near future. Ill start with two strong side. Holsters on a single belt and work from there when I can afford it

Again thank you for the advice. Its important to listen and learn from those who have gone before me so I don't make dumb mistakes

I prefer barrels that are about 7 yards long! They cut down on misses.

It amazes me that amount of extra recoil in a 7.5" barrel (in .45 Colt) due to higher velocities than the 5.5" and shorter versions.

My goal for outfit is to have twin crossed tied down low slung holsters shooting gunfighter or b western. S

Thanks

Evil

My current set up is two separate buscadero (dropped) rigs. It started this way because I could only find a single drop belt at the time and needed something. I ended up using it as a pattern to make the left hand one. I added shotgun loops to it too so at least I do not have to wear three belts.

I have noticed two main drawbacks to this set up:

1. They work them selves down quite often. I spend alot of time pulling them back up. I think there there was a movie prop guy that figured out how to keep them up but I don think he is telling how he did it.

2. It is a PIA to take a leak. This is the biggest drawback IMHO.

I have long arms for my height so the positive is that my holsters are in a pretty good location for me.

QWL

Good post that caught my eye and I had to laugh remmebering my own heyday in the sport. Barrel length and which is best has many venues one can travel; for instance: there is the quickness of drawing and holstering with the short barrels, with better accuracy,as some might say with the longer barrels and there is alway "style and class" that will set some apart everytime.

Whatever the length of the barrel depends on the cowpoke standing behind it, which always comes down to being familiar with the six gun and practice, practice, practice.

To recount an adventure from the past, the stage was set with the pistol holster, loaded with one round. Both cowpokes on the firing line using one 36" round disc for a target. At the command, draw and fire one round. The first opponent was using a 5 1/2" Colt up against an 18" barrel Uberti, both in 45 caliber in strong side holsters.

The cowboy with the 18" barrel .45 took on and beat 4 different opponents several times against the shorter barrel six guns that ranged from 4 5/8" to 7 1/2". The moral, class and style is important too.

If anyone wants to see them action,dig up a VHS for the 2004 End of Trail in which these long barrels, enscribed and respectfully name "Justice and (when I don't get it) Revenge" won 9th place in class...................happy shooting

Hi all

Ok I know most speed demons like the 4 3/4, 4 5/8 because its a fraction quicker.

Also know that the longer barreled revolvers give a better sight picture.

What do you shoot?

My hunting revolver is a 4 5/8 new blackhawk in 45. Lc its always worked but the only reason I procured it was because it was $450 and at that time I only had that much to spend. I have always loved the longer barrels. Since I'm just starting is there a valid reason why I need to buy a shorter barrel? Also if its all about speed then why isn't everybody shooting sherrifs models?

Thanks in advance for the education of a newbie

Evil

Well Pard, you know what they say about opinions, and around here everybody has one and many do stink,

although there are a few who will tell you that theirs smells of patchoulie . . . .

The way I figure it is that this is a game - and there may or may not be an advantage to one barrel length over another -

but there are so many things you have to master before that is the only discriminator between winning and losing.

I'd go to a store and try on the various gun sizes for comfort and handling, maybe get to a a local club and try shooting a few

different lengths to see what the sight picture and handling are like for yourself - and then get he ones that makes you happy.

Holsters can be bought that accommodate anything you want, that comes later.

Here's what I use : Alfonso's Rig

At other times I use this : another Alfonso's rig.

This rig is absolutely the most comfortable rig to wear : Two short ones from El Paso . . .

And other times I want all black leather : DeSantis Leather.

My point is this - you might find that long barrels work as well as short, you might like to mix them, or you might settle in on one only . . .

the leather can follow - figure out what guns you really want to use and play with - then get them . . .you can play Barbie dress up after that . . . .

There's no such thing as a right answer - and no one owns the truth - so get what YOU want . . . .

By the way - if you think a long barrel will slow you down - watch this:

Shadow Catcher

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

In cowboy shooting longer is not better -3.5 to 5.5 in is the largest group

but some shoot longer just to look cool ;)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Two 10.5" Ruger K-Super Blackhawks.

With bull barrels, of course!Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Okay, I was just funnin'. :lol::lol::lol:

But that's what I started with.

Now I usually use two 5.5" .44 M Ruger Bisley Vaqueros.

Mustang Gregg

Nothing is more a matter of personal preference in all of cowboy shooting. Go for looks. You can't go wrong. Remember you probably won't carry a SA revolver concealed. If you do, the Sheriff model is best. Nor will you shoot one a real long range. Then the 12 inch barrel is best. No, you are buying to carry in a cowboy holster rig. If you are as big as James Arness was you buy 7 1/2 in barrels for the same reason his prop people put them on him. They just look better. Just buy the length you think looks best on you.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I know I wont be a speed person and truethfully I dont ever intend to become one. I joined sass to have an activity that my father and I can both enjoy. Shooting and dressing up.

As for shooting one handed I've been doing that for over twenty years. The people I learned from were firm believers in mastering shooting with one hand first. Reason being if you can handle the gun with one hand you won't have any problem with shooting with two hands.while learning with two can make it difficult to shoot one handed.

I know my dream outfit isn't exactly practical but like I said its my dream rig. I wont have it anytime in the near future. Ill start with two strong side. Holsters on a single belt and work from there when I can afford it

Again thank you for the advice. Its important to listen and learn from those who have gone before me so I don't make dumb mistakes

CAS is a fantasy game to some and a competetive sport to others. If it is a fantasy game to you and you want to wear a double crossdraw twin belt rig, then go for it. If you decide later on to get more into the competetive side, then change your rig as needed. Get what you want and have fun with it!

If you want to be practical about it, you can always buy two muzzle-forward canted holsters and two belts. If your double crossdraw set-up isn't working for you, you can put both holster on one belt on the strong sides. Then you would go from your fantasy rig to an all out gamer crotch draw rig in one step while only being out the cost of one belt.

Do you mean you will be cross-drawing each pistol? If so, I don't believe that is allowed in the gunfighter category.

Now you see why Baskin Robbins offers 31 flavors. It's what feels correct in your hand. Everyone has different size hands and fingers. The point of balance will be different for each of these persons. Try to shoot a few matches with different guns so that you may make the correct decision with out buying three sets of guns.

Finally, something I know something about!

I put mustard, ketchup, dill relish and mayo on my hotdogs.

And I've noticed that if you have a 32 inch '97, you can knock the hat off a TO without violating the 170 rule.

Well I ordered new consecutive ss rugers in 45. 7 1/2 . For much cheaper than any used 4 5/8s or 5 1/2 s i could find anywhere . thanks for the heads up from a cowboy here.

Thank you for all the help and advice

Evil

Archived