SASS Wire Forum

Pietta 1851 Army Question - Need Help

Hamby Branch Kid

Hello to all -

I took my 1851 Army (.44 caliber) apart to clean and deburr it. When I put it back together, it goes to three clicks but won't go to the 4th for a full cock. What am I doing wrong? I have had it apart again and just can't seem to get it to work right.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hamby Branch Kid

Check and see if the Hand Spring is broken on the Hand Assembly. Also look at the bolt and make sure it isn't broken. The Trigger Bolt Spring cold have a leg broken also.

Thanks, Pee Wee.

I checked all the pieces, springs, etc. Everything is there. That is why I am so baffled. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I have another identical pistol that I did the same thing to and it works fine.

I feel like a dunce, but I just can't get this one diagnosed.

HBK

We need to clarify a few things to make sure everyone is singing off the same page. First, there is no such thing as an 1851 Army. What exactly do you have? Second, cap and balls don't have four clicks. They only have three because there is no safety notch. It's half-cock, bolt drop, and trigger lock. Is it cocking but you are not hearing a "fourth" click and think something is wrong, or is the hammer just plain not cocking?

A quick thought if everything worked right before you took it apart and you did not change any springs or other parts (didn't get any mixed up with your other gun?). Take off the backstrap and triggerguard and follow the left leg of the trigger/bolt spring down to the trigger. Make sure the end of the spring is sitting on top of the trigger shelf and has not slipped off.

Archived