SASS Wire Forum

Marlins

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

I know a Marlin 1894 is an allowed rifle for main match as long as it meets caliber requirements, but my question is a Marlin model 336 allowed as a main match as long as it meets caliber requirements.

Thanks

KK

Howdy,

I know a Marlin 1894 is an allowed rifle for main match as long as it meets caliber requirements, but my question is a Marlin model 336 allowed as a main match as long as it meets caliber requirements.

Thanks

KK

?? Do they make the 336 is pistol calibers...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If you had a 336 in a pistol caliber (which I doubt) it would work for a main match rifle, but would not likely hold ten rounds in the magazine and that would be the pits. The added issue is that the bolt is a lot bigger and usually requires more effort to operate it than an 1894 Marlin.

?? Do they make the 336 is pistol calibers...

You are right they don't should have looked before I asked.

Thanks

KK

Marlin made a few 336-44 mag. They had a 10+ shot magazine. It was a very accurate 44 being built on the 336 action and therein come the problem for cowboy. It has the very long stroke of the 336. It would be legal for SASS, but not very desireable.

McKenzie

Marlin made a few 336-44 mag. They had a 10+ shot magazine. It was a very accurate 44 being built on the 336 action and therein come the problem for cowboy. It has the very long stroke of the 336. It would be legal for SASS, but not very desireable.

McKenzie

Yup - just saw that as I 'googled' around. However, as mentioned they do not produce any pistol caliber 336 currently.

The 336 did not come out till 1948 so I say it would NOT be "legal" no matter what caliber you used ;)

Respectfully,

LG

The Henry Big Boy came out a few years ago and has the same bolt style. That didn't stop it from getting approved. :lol:

Howdy, Pards,

Had one of them critters in .44 Mangle-em! Was a backup to several other rifles, including a Marlin C1894 in the same caliber, so I sold it. Wish I hadn't...but... No question that the longer leverl throw is not as desirable as the other, or for that matter an older Rossi '92. But they did make them. As far as I'm concerned, the side-ejection mechanism is nice for mounting a scope, but nowhere near as easy to clear jams as a top-eject. And IMHO, unless your eyesight is bad, I can't see mounting a scope on a .44 Magnum.

Archived