SASS Wire Forum

Camping

Briscoe Callaghan

I was wondering if many of you have gone to any of the State or Regional shoots and tried camping in just a tent. There seems to be all kinds of motor homes at these matches but I have never really looked around to see if there are many tents. Are there any Ranges that allow this that have shower facilities you can use. Thanks for the info.

Briscoe

I used to tent camp at many state and regional matches. Most of them have shower facilities....if not, you can generally find a friendly RV cowboy or hit the local truck stop.

(that sounds BAD!...but you know what I mean)

I was wondering if many of you have gone to any of the State or Regional shoots and tried camping in just a tent. There seems to be all kinds of motor homes at these matches but I have never really looked around to see if there are many tents. Are there any Ranges that allow this that have shower facilities you can use. Thanks for the info.

Briscoe

The large matches I have been too always seem to have a couple of tenters or more. Have not seen any shower facilities, just honey buckets. You will have to put up with a lot of generators usually.

From what I've seen, tenters tend to be in the minority. Some places have showers, some don't. There's always a pot of hot water and a towel.

As GCK stated, generators can be a real PIA. Got surrounded once with RV's on either side and three more across the back. Between the fumes and the noise, had to hang out somewhere else until quiet hours kicked in. Couldn't even carry on a conversation. Learned from that to let the event organizer know I'm in a tent and request to be put somewhere out of the way or with other tent campers. They're generally pretty accomodating, you just have to ask.

Are there any Ranges that allow this that have shower facilities you can use. Thanks for the info.

Winter Range, in the camping area maintained by the Az Game and Fish. Nice showers in the rest rooms. Far enough away from other campsites to be pleasant all the time.

EOT will be glad to let you camp in the woods, last time I checked. But no showers there (at least yet).

Good luck, GJ

We used to tent camp until about 6 years ago when we got the 5th wheel. 8 or 10 years ago, we'd see 25 or 30 tents and 4 or 5 camper rigs. Last few years it's reversed. Age might have something to do with that. For some reason, no matter the amenities we added, camping had turned into a chore. Never thought twice about it until I turned 55.

Come on over to St. Judes, we have nice showers and flush toilets!

CR

My son and I are going to an annual tomorrow and will be in a tent, there will be a solar shower there that someone in the bunch I shoot with will have. Other then that there is no showers

Tent camped at Guns of August 3 times. Never had any issues with generator noise from the tin teepee campers, and the range has a real nice clubhouse with showers. It's air conditioned too - a real plus in August.

Iffn ya start tu git a bit ripe, see who on yur posse has an RV (if there aren't showers available in the clubehouse) and make sure yu stick real close to them.....maybe they'll offer without having to ask.....;).

Myself, Imma thinkin of buyin a tent because of the price of fuel...

Cheyenne

I have Tented at about 3/4 of the Shoots I have gone to,,,,,,,,, Yes even here in Canada...

Tented at all but 0ne Canadian Regional ,,,,,,,,, One was in Oct. and there was ice in my water bucket in the morning ...

90% or more of our 2 day and lager shoots have showers !!! Needing a shower and not having one availible has never come-up as a problem for me as yet ....

The main thing I like about my Truck Camper at shoots is the hot water for washing dishes and guns ...

Might just start taking the Holy Powder to more Away shoots, where I take the camper ....

Jabez Cowboy

Briscoe

me and the kidd have slept in a tent

we have slept in a van

we have slept in the back of a pickup truck

now

I have an RV

it all works

I've camped happily in Texas at Badlands Bar 3, Oakwood, Ormsby Ranch and at the Texican Rangers near Fredericksburg (extra beautiful location there). No showers onsite though. Next time I may mooch a shower from someone with an RV - great idea. Just make sure you can camp away distance from the RV's. Calling ahead is a good idea. You can camp just about anywhere.

I, too, tent camp when attending shoots of more than 1 day duration.

As Mr. Carson said, try to pitch that tent as far away from the RV GENERATORS as possible!

While the majority run whisper quiet generators :) , there are always 4 or 5 that run the loud clattering things all night :angry: . It is NOT "white noise", nor is it conducive to sleep, and nylon is not very soundproofed! :excl:

Take along an EZ-Up, some chairs and a table and you can be a very happy camper! B)

But, again, if possible place a sound obstruction between yerself and them noisy generators!

FWIW, YMMV..SOso

Archived