SASS Wire Forum

OT-How to De-Fang 50 BMG rounds

Texas Red

I would machine up a .50 collet holder on the lathe to fit (a .50 collet from my Schaublin lathe) in the RCBS rockchucker with the thread reducer removed and then either buy a .50 BMG holder for the ram of make one on the lathe and milling machine...

with out access to machine tools a wooden conforming set of jaws with leather to protect the brass to clamp the round in a bench vise then leather padded vice grips to wiggle out the slug if there is a varnish line showing the slug was glued in the way surplus ammo is usually i would soak the mouth area of the case in acetone

you might need rosin on the leather both to hold the case from turning in the vice and to do the same for the leather loop in the vice grips

the preferred way to disassemble surplus ammo is to just buy the needed puller collet and shell holder from RCBS even if you made an inertia puller large enough to hold the big fifty the varnish glue would make it very hard to get to work

If you have the rifle to shoot the rounds in why not make it fun? Take the rifle/ammo to the range, invite your shooting friends, set up a grill and big jug of sweet tea. Put the burgers on and hand each shooter X rounds, no lunch till you shoot your allotment of rounds. Have an "award" for the best group. :lol:

Unless they have some fault, are dangerous or otherwise unsuitable I've always thought the best way to recycle ammunition is to hit the primer with a firing pin while it is housed safely in the chamber of a gun pointed at an appropriate target

I had a PM telling me I should have mentioned that my instructions are for standard ball or AP ammo not tracer and the I think still experimental explosive rounds but as the latter would be classed as destructive devices and have a per-round transfer tax I doubt you will find them for sale at the local gun show :ph34r:

If you don't care about saving the components and you have access to a drill press, chuck the bullet in the press, clamp the base in a vise and use the ram to pull the bullet. I shoot a LOT of 50BMG (see below). I pull bullets with a collet vise and the lathe. Incidentally there are NO explosive 50BMG rounds. (they are working on guided bullets though) The closest are the Rofus. I have some of those also as well as tracers, AP, etc. It is not illegal to own or fire any of those in most states.

If you don't care about saving the components and you have access to a drill press, chuck the bullet in the press, clamp the base in a vise and use the ram to pull the bullet. I shoot a LOT of 50BMG (see below). I pull bullets with a collet vise and the lathe. Incidentally there are NO explosive 50BMG rounds. (they are working on guided bullets though) The closest are the Rofus. I have some of those also as well as tracers, AP, etc. It is not illegal to own or fire any of those in most states.

Thanks for the correction I met a gent at a shoot in MD about 2 years ago he said he was at Aberdeen and he was where I heard the rumor about a 50 cal cannon shell round (explosive) experiment... either "bar talk" or it got nowhere I guess... the .50 I have taken apart were well glued in not sure my wimpy drill press would work on em but that is a good idea that I bet would work just fine on the bridgeport.

Cheers

Windy

I had a PM telling me I should have mentioned that my instructions are for standard ball or AP ammo not tracer and the I think still experimental explosive rounds but as the latter would be classed as destructive devices and have a per-round transfer tax I doubt you will find them for sale at the local gun show :ph34r:

Incorrect. AP, API, APIT, rounds that trace, go pow, catch things on fire fall well below the minimum requirement for DD's under FEDERAL law and are readily available at gunshows and other places. There may be some States that aren't as progressive as AZ so I can't speak about STATE law.

Some of these rounds can be safely disassembled with an inertia puller and some may not. The may nots include incendiary, APIT and a couple of other oddball rounds you probably don't want to whack on. This ammunition is "SUPPOSED" to be color coded. Black for AP, red for tracer and so on BUT, over the years I have run across LOTS of ammo with the paint worn off or just plain mismarked. You DEFINITWLY DO NOT want to use an inertia bullet puller on an incendiary round!

I'm sure someone makes a collet style puller for .50 rounds, do a google search.

Archived