SASS Wire Forum

Brass shotgun shells and blanks

The Shoer 27979

My discovery for Magtec Brass shotgun shells

I have a couple hundred Magtec brass shotgun shells, that I use to load and shot all the time but quit doing it because I got tired of sealing the ends. I tried glue, wax, waterglass just about everything and just didn't like anything so I quit using them.

I am going to an annual shoot, decided I wanted some styling points so I said to myself, self bit the bullet and load up some of those brass shells then stuff some feathers and other stuff in them too and have some fun. So there I am loading these brass shell, and shoving the over powder card in get all done and realize that I was using 10 gauge(ordered these by accident) over powder cards instead of 11 gauge that I usually use. I get the fiber wads in then the shot and I start thinking, those 10 gauge card went in pretty hard I wonder, so I took one of those 10 gauge card shoved it in the brass shell and it held better then any other seal that i used before plus no mess. When I load my brass shot shells for now on I will be using 10gauge wads to cover the shot

Now I have a Question

I only shot BP, I load blanks for a friend of mine that does gunfights in parades. I have drilled out the primer hole to keep the primer from backing out and was told to never use these blank brass for regular ammo because of the bigger hole in the primer pocket.

So now could somebody tell me why I can't use the blank brass for regular BP ammo?? My 45-70 brass primer pocket holes have been drill bigger and it shots great. Please do not just say it is dangerous, tell me WHY!

I use over-powder cards as over-shot cards. The thicker wad,(card) holds better than the thin OSC I use to install over the shot.

Load a couple of the larger primer pocket shells and see how they shoot. Don't load a box of 25, just in case don't ya know. ;) You'll never know till ya try it. :o

I doubt it would make any difference with real black powder but I would not use large primer hole brass with smokeless in either a Shot-shell or a cartridge. would be asking for a cratered primer or even a leaking back into the action primer depending on the pressure of the round in question.

No problelm on BP loads. I have used drilled out cases and brass shotgun shells for regular BP loads. Quit loading blanks a while back and I use those cases/hulls for regular BP loads now.

As Doc Windshadow said, I would not use them for mid range to full house smokeless loads, though. But, I did use some 38 cases that had been drilled out for BP blanks with light starting loads of Red Dot with no problems or any sign of excess pressure.

Thank you all for the responses

Lefty like you i like the bigger thicker overpower card on top of my shot it holds a lot better and no messing with glues.

I ask about the blanks because some say once they are used for blanks you have to keep using the for blanks, I never thought about smokless being a problem, I don't do fads like smokeless :lol:. I was just curious why, because most the time you just hear don't do this or don't do that with out an explanation.

Once again Thank you for the responses

As far as sealing the Mag Tech Hulls for real BP loads I have a answer that makes it very easy. After the overshot card is inserted into the hull use a small hot glue gun used in crafts. They may be purchased for about $6 or so even at Wally World and use small glue sticks that are easy to work with.The firing removes all glue and they are ready to load again after a good cleaning.

Archived