SASS Wire Forum

Game's

beehunter

Whats the best way to make low noise, low recoil ammo? I mean the least legal stuff but that is legal. You know the "stuff" that gives you the "edge" to beat your "betters". I ask because I have seen some strange ammo used at local matches.

Now I am slow so I would lose if I was shooting 22's. At what point does one need to move up to shoot with the big boys by using barely legal ammo. Is it an ego thing, my equiptment and ammo is the same as a "top dog" so I am one too or what.

I reload a 38 Special round straight out of the S**** #12 manual...... 158 gn. RNFP LEAD and am told its way too hot. Shucks when I hit the target it goes down of course I miss about two or three out of each round.

I guess what I am asking is: Do I need to do what other people do or do I go my own way?

Whats the best way to make low noise, low recoil ammo? I mean the least legal stuff but that is legal. You know the "stuff" that gives you the "edge" to beat your "betters". I ask because I have seen some strange ammo used at local matches.

Now I am slow so I would lose if I was shooting 22's. At what point does one need to move up to shoot with the big boys by using barely legal ammo. Is it an ego thing, my equiptment and ammo is the same as a "top dog" so I am one too or what.

I reload a 38 Special round straight out of the S**** #12 manual...... 158 gn. RNFP LEAD and am told its way too hot. Shucks when I hit the target it goes down of course I miss about two or three out of each round.

I guess what I am asking is: Do I need to do what other people do or do I go my own way?

You pick your own path.

The "big boys" don't shoot faster than you (or me) with fewer misses because of their ammo :)

Denver Deb (Mrs. Carson) probably shoots approximately the same load you do; "way too hot" is in the eyes of the beholder.

-Chris

Shoot what your comfortable with. Let the gammers play with the squib loads, mouse farts and dudds. They chance blowing up their guns all the time with their speed runs. In my view, it's more realistic to feel the gun buck in your hand when the hammer drops. Handeling the recoil is all part of the game. Let's leave it to Hollywood to be the only place a 45 goes bang and the barrel doesn't move.

just my opinion mind you. I'm sure others will disagree.

Dutchman

The "top dog" practice.

A lot.

Combine that with talent and you have the difference, not just ammo.

I like whopping big loads and I don't practice. :lol:

You seem to have the misconception that light loads enable folks to be a "top gun", they don't. In this sport (as in almost every sport) it takes dedication, practice, natural ability and more practice. In your question you state that you miss quite a bit.......missing certainly does not help your times any. Most of the time saved on a stage is not in light loads or shooting fast, it's saved in the none shooting portion.......movement, transitions and the like. I suggest that you watch the "top guns" to observe what they are doing that makes them so fast. You'll find that it isn't light loads that makes them competitive.

Bemoaning light loads will not make you a "top gun". If you want to get better, you'll need to look within yourself. If you have that desire and determination........practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

C.S.

The anmswer to your question is, "This is a game. It's for fun. Do what makes YOU happy as long as it's within the rules."

I've had the priveledge of shooting and hangin' out with folks who are tryly the top shooters in the game. That includes numerous World Champions. I've even had a moment or two myself, (blind luck). Contrary to what some would have you think, MOST of them,(I can't think of a single one off hand that dosen't) shoot a more than respectable load combination. I've found that the "mouse fart" protesters are really few and far between, if mostly more vocal, and they are the same ones who will tell you that 38s and 9mms are wimp loads and not good enough for defense purposes. I defy any of them to stand in front of any of the rounds fired by the folks they complain about.

'Too hot' means that your loads are chronographing at over 1000fps from your pistols or 1400fps from your rifle (which are the legal limits), OR damaging targets. If your load is legal and safe, then folks are just expressing their opinion and we all know about people and opinions. <_<

By the way, light loads don't equal fast. Being smooth with your transitions and actually PRACTICING will help you a whole bunch more than just loading up some primer powered spitballs ever will. I figger it this way, I could shoot 60 gr .32 bullets loaded to the legal minimum PF against any of the 100 top shooters in the game who were using 255gr .45 Colt BP loads and still get whooped. The ammo I shoot ain't got a single thing to do with me getting beat by them. The fact that they have PRACTICED more, have more natural athletic ability and are simply faster than I am does.

Fast is fast, no matter what loads, guns or category they shoot and changing to a minimal load isn't going to change anything for you if you aren't fast to begin with.

Archived