SASS Wire Forum

On not missing TV

Chantry

When I moved into my condo, I decided to wait a couple of months for the new monthly bills to settle out, so I didn't get cable. After a while I realized I didn't really miss TV. When the country converted to a digital signal, I didn't bother getting a digital converter box. Now my TV is only good for playing DVD's and VHS tapes.

Reasons I don't miss watching TV:

1. No damn commercials

2. No stupid reality shows

3. No inane sit coms

4. No blood, death, despair, famine or the world's ending on the evening news

5. No expensive cable bills

6. More time to read

7. More time to be producitve around the house.

8. If it is REALLY good, it'll be out on DVD in six months anyway.

9. No daytime TV

10. NO POLITICAL SPEECHES!!!!

I have to +1 every bit of that!

If only I could detach myself from the computer now. :wacko:

I went to bare bones cable about a year ago where all I get are local stations. The only reason I did that was because I didn't want to mess with the converter boxes as they had bad reviews. Besides, the cable is only $5/month. When this 1996 Sony bites the dust and I have to replace it, the cable goes too.

I used to check the listings to see what I was missing, but haven't found anything except on rare occasions. $700/year is a lot of money for what little (and lousy) programming there is between commercials.

$700/year is a lot of money for what little (and lousy) programming there is between commercials.

I would have to agree.

I've got about 500 channels that I'm getting ready to drop.

I ain't found a good show in months.

I don't know about cable service where some of y'all are at, but it sucks here!

~EE Taft~

When I moved into my condo, I decided to wait a couple of months for the new monthly bills to settle out, so I didn't get cable. After a while I realized I didn't really miss TV. When the country converted to a digital signal, I didn't bother getting a digital converter box. Now my TV is only good for playing DVD's and VHS tapes.

Reasons I don't miss watching TV:

1. No damn commercials

2. No stupid reality shows

3. No inane sit coms

4. No blood, death, despair, famine or the world's ending on the evening news

5. No expensive cable bills

6. More time to read

7. More time to be producitve around the house.

8. If it is REALLY good, it'll be out on DVD in six months anyway.

9. No daytime TV

10. NO POLITICAL SPEECHES!!!!

I have it... but I am on the puter a lot so I miss most of the programs.. The DVR is the only way to go so you can watch stuff and not have to watch the junk..

Glad to hear that you are not missing the TV. Your aim must still be good! :D

Every time I aim at the #$%^&* thing, my wife yells at me until I put the artillery away.

The View. So-called Reality shows. Histerical reporters and weather prognosticators. Etc. Etc. Etc. :angry:

My favorite control on the #$%^& thing is the "OFF" switch.

Warhorse

Ya'll are inspiring me to git rid of this cable or at least cut it down to bare bones. 500 channels and nothing on worth a dar, 'cept fer Justified. That's on FX, don't know if that's on the bare bones plan or not. The westerns channel is a waste. I do like the HD format though but I could get weened away from that too.:angry:

I'm in total agreement. I dropped the satelite system about 5 years ago. Too much money for too little enjoyment. When I found myself going to the movie rack because there was nothing I wanted to watch in nearly 200 channels, it was time to drop the whole deal. I got one of those digital boxes for the TV, but then when the switch over happened, I have no signal. So I put my money into movies and collections of old TV shows, and watch them when I have the time.

I saw some tv at the car dealership the other day while having some service work done. With all the commercials they run now, how do you keep up with the program you're trying to watch?

Nope, don't miss it a bit.

Well, there are some programs on TLC, Discovery, and History that I enjoy.

Our weekly paper doesn't have very much news in it.

Satellite is necessary where we are, no reception, no cable.

And if there's a big storm coming I'd like to know about it. ;)

I do know where the off button is and I don't keep any loaded guns near the TV. ;)

I am with Utah on this. I like the History channel and the military channel once in a while an old movie. Saw one last night made in 1942 about the British navy. Kinda hokey but fun to watch. Some of the old movies have great planes, boats and cars in them. Watched the series on the Enterprise Aircraft Carrier the other day.

Funny thing, in my minds eye, I can still see Robert Taylor in a tin hat on Bataan.

My wife is a news junkie and I guess I either have to get rid of her or keep the news. :lol:

About 2 years ago we dropped satellite for Netflix and Hulu. Pretty much any show I wanna watch I can watch for free on Hulu with less commercials. About the only thing I miss out on is some basketball but that is what friends with satellite are for :rolleyes:

No ball games? Awesome.

Actually, Mo, my interest in baseball was revived by not having a TV on weekends...now I listen to the Sox on the radio, on my back porch with a cigar, and enjoy it more than ever.

With the demise of meaningful news reporting, TV is a wasteland. Buy movies and shows like Justifed on DVD.

LL

I dropped cable in 1996. Not out to make a statement, or anything...I just deployed. Came back to the States in 2000, tried to watch TV that first night back...it was all Judge This and Judge That, intermixed with "reality" shows (one was about putting married folks together on a tropical island and seeing how long it would take for them to cheat on their spouses), and I just couldn't get into it.

Turns out I just lost the taste for TV.

We have Netflix, and the family watches a movie or two together on the weekend.

The only TV show I watch is NCIS and I just wait and buy an entire season on DVD.

News and weather I get online, I prefer a variety of sources.

Regarding what on the History & Military channels that may interest me, I generally have books that go into far greater detail on subjects that I am interested in.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

We still got mucho TV at the house... mainly for the kids... but I ain't watched it now for nigh on a coupla years.

Not since I found out that there ain't no broads on the show.... Locked Up ABroad.... and there ain't no beer discussions on... Cold Case. Misleadin' as hell... if ya ask me.

Then... here while back... I tuned in to SASS... and took Uturn's and Texas Jim Henry's advice... and taped the show... Justified. Dam... first episode I saw... this ol' woman on there started whuppin' some big fella's pinned knuckles with a ballpeen hammer. Knowin' somethin' bout that kinda behavior... I aint' watched it since.

TV just ain't for me. Besides... I like to ride horses.

ts

TLC, Discovery, History, Cooking Channel and I'm done. Momma gets a lot of movies on Netflix.

Haven't watched a news show for months. Tried when I came back from the Bayou Blast to learn about the earthquake and tidal wave. All I got was a bunch of doofus running around waving their arms about the non-existant radioactivity.

Sure was too bad I missed the speech last night. I bet there were some good excuses tossed out. :huh:

Watching shows on the computer doesn't appeal to me.

The desk chair isn't that comfortable and it's a long way to the refrigerator. ;)

Buy a Roku brand converter box to use with Netflix. Costs about $100 and you can connect it to your computer network and watch all the Netflix programs on you TV.

We dropped satellite and went to Verizon Fios basic TV package. With that and Netflix we cut our bill by about $100 a month, still get news when we want it and lots of great shows from Netflix. The bonus is I can watch movies on my lap top via Netflix when I stay out of town for work.

I mostly watch the Western channel. A few other things like the outdoor channel for shows like Cowboys & all the shooting shows.

Until last year we just had the rabbit ears on the T.V's to get local network channels. Then that dang digital T.V thing came out and we couldn't find any antenna's to work in our area. So for Fathers Day last year the wife and kids suprised me by getting Dish network installed....I :wub: my dish!!

Chili Pepper Kid

I think you guys are on to something. Between Netflix and Hulu I can pretty much watch anything I really want to. I am going to seriously look at cutting the cable down to near nothing. That should get the kids outside a little bit more too.

Got no dish, cable, Fios, or anything else I pay for. Got about 300 cubic feet of antenna in my attic and use it to watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune every day and, maybe once or twice a month, a movie.

Have a Netflix account and watch a DVD = or - almost every night. just returned from 8 days in Utah and never turned the TV on except to check road conditions the whole time I was there. Rediscovered Heinlein , Agatha Christie, Grafton, and Hillerman...five books in 6 days, two days of driving up and back.

Archived