SASS Wire Forum

Posness Warren

Prairie Dog

I just picked up PW 800b, the shells come out perfect except for a small hole in the center of the crimp, in about 1 out of 10 the hole is big enough to let the shot out. This only happens with double As,Rem STS are fine thanks for your help.

hmmmm....it sounds like you have too much wad depth OR the wrong wad size for the load.

Dawg, on my Mec that is caused by the crimp die is out of adjustment. it should be the second one after the shot is dropped. Cant remember if it needs less or more...may need to be lowered,,,try one if it's worse go the other way.

hope it helps

cheyenne, see ya soon (5 weeks) culpepper

I just picked up PW 800b, the shells come out perfect except for a small hole in the center of the crimp, in about 1 out of 10 the hole is big enough to let the shot out. This only happens with double As,Rem STS are fine thanks for your help.

I have a PW that I had to change pre crimp out,this adjustment is critical I would lower it slightly ,if you get rid of whole completely it will bulge the case on some of the shells & cause a pain so just barely move it.

good luck AO

An STS hull is slightly longer than a AA......I can't load them "perfect" on my MEC. I have to set up for one or the other. I have had it where the STS gets a little spiral to it and the AA's were just right but rather than mess with it I just went to one hull and adjusted it for that. I sold my PW but you may check some skeet forums if you don't get your answer here.

I used to load huge volumes of AAs on a Texan Progressive machine and after about 6 or so reloads the problem would show up on some shells. I just got a hot melt glue gun and put a dab on the offending hole this would work for a few more loads till the mouth was too badly worn for further use... this made more sense to me than adjusting for worn shells and then back to normal used shells settings...

What ever happened to the Texan Press company? back in the 70s it was considered the next best thing in Progressives after the Posness Warren which most volume shooters considered the best you could buy at the time.

Archived