SASS Wire Forum

Video - Shooting cap and ball paper cartridges

Great video! Are you SURE John doesn't want to take orders? Not even for 1858 Remington New Armies? I might know someone who'd be interested! :)

Anyway, another wonderful video!

As a sidebar, do you have any website recommendations for adjusting the POA/POI for the above-mentioned Remmies? I'm just getting started and imagine that will be a part of the process as I begin using the two I purchased.

J.J.

Good and informative video. I've made my own paper cartridges in the past. They are easy to do, though mine did not come out looking nearly as good as the ones in the video. But they worked fine. Think I originally got the idea from a Chronicle "how to" article from several years ago. For the materials use either cigarette rolling papers or tea bags cut to appropriate size. The tea bags are stronger and less likely to tear than the papers. Use a dowel about the same diameter as the ball or bullet, put a thin bead of white glue around the base of the lead and wrap the paper around, using the dowel to form the hollow tube. Seal the seam with more white glue, slide the dowel out and allow to try. Then fill with the appropriate amount of powder, fold over or twist the opening closed and use a little more glue to seal. Time consuming to make but makes loading in the field a lot more efficient. Haven't made any in a while as I do not shot my cap and ball pistols much, just occasional plinking.

Bucky

Tried it years ago. Seemed like more trouble than it was worth for me. Has a high cool factor though.

Awesome video pard - I have done that in the past too - wasn't difficult - and very fun...

Mine were a little tapered some in the rear for ease in loading..but, they didn't look as nice as yours :D .

GG ~ :FlagAm:

J.J.,

A good site for Remington info is the Society of Remington revolver shooters (SCORRS). Also the SCORRS forum on CAS City.

Not sure if they'll have exactly what you're looking for, but there's lots of good info there.

SCORRS site

Archived