SASS Wire Forum

Pondering getting a "Spencer"

Knarley Bob

Been kickin' the idea around for awhile, the gun is ungainley, I know, but it's got a cool factor to it.( Kinda like my '87 Winchester 12.)

Any thoughts yay or nay, first hand intell great. I am talking a "repro" I hear Uberti has a nice one. Worth it or not?

Thanks

Knarley

Like you said, lot's of cool but not much faster than a single shot.

I had one in .56-50. It is mighty slow compared to other lever guns. I gave up on using it at matches. I used it for hunting and it really worked out great on hogs. Alas, I sold it when I needed some cash before a deployment & I've regretted it ever since

What Noz sez... you won't win many matches, but style points up the kazoo~!! ^_^

A. Lincoln liked 'em~! :)

I have one in 56-50, I shoot it in both main match and our local "Cody Dixon" category. In the main match, I load 7 and then singly load 3 on the clock. Or, I load 3 and then reload 7 using a Blakeslee tube. In the CD match I load 5 and then 1 on the clock as our local rules require. Doesn't matter to me, I'm usually in the lower 4Th of the shooters.

As long as your not looking for speed competiton . . and want "Style Points" it cud be a good one. Maybe not your only rifle . . . do you have a lever gun already ? Spencer would be nice for "once in a while" especially if you dress "Civil War". :) I read a very nice article someplace by a Civil War Reenactor, . . it was bout how he was making disposable ammunition . . I think he was using cut down .410 shells . . no need to pick up brass . . very handy on a Civil War battle ground and he could do a whole lot more shooting that the other reenactors using "front stuffers". Do not recall where I saw that article.

If you crave one . . . then BUY IT ! Money is for buying guns and having FUN :)

Contact Beans Maracco. He's got one and can tell ya.

Purty much what dem other fellers said.

After looking at the price tag............ Them style points 'aint cheap!! Course they never are.

Knarley

I have one, in .45 Schofield, and love shooting it. Magazine tube holds 8 rounds, so I almost always have to load two "over the top." I usually rank at or near the bottom of the pack with my score, but when I shoot my Spencer I DON'T CARE!!! I've had so many people come up to me after a match and ask to look it over. Some even ask if they can shoot it. I don't mind, I always take extra ammo along and let anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

If you want one, get it it. Just know you won't be fast. At this point in my SASS "career" I don't care about that any more. I care about how well I shoot and how good I look doing it.

Archived