SASS Wire Forum

Camdex loader.............anybody know of any....?

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

Wolfie, there are a few around. Getting one new enough that it can be fixed will run about $15K if you are lucky. As I recall Long Hunter sold his to Meister Bullet, I hear they have moved them since, (not sure) Matt Masterson has an Autoload (I think) nothing but trouble with lead bullets with either machine. Bullet lube screws them up. Matt loads his bullets with no lube. I believe the reason Meister cleaned their bullets after lubing was so they could get them to feed (somewhat) A lot cheaper to get some Dillon 1050's and put auto drives on them. Unless you do over 20K rounds per month it is a losing proposition. Also need a type 6 FFL if you sell ammo and INSURANCE !!!

Hey Happy Jack........thanks for the info.........now that you mention it - I remember hearing something about folks having trouble doing Cowboy loads..........let me know if you hear of any machines that are available.....thanks.......Wolf

I loaded on a camdex for almost 10 years and only loaded lead bullets to train LEO's. The statement about trouble with lead is not true on the two machines that I used. I also purchased one machine for about $6000 in the 90's. The bullets that I loaded were the Speer 148 gr. HBWC and was lubed with the Speer lube which looked like a white slick powder. The bullets were packed in long plastic tubes to use in the Camdex. The other bullet loaded was the 158 gr Speer SWC and it loaded with no problems. The Camdex has a rheostat that controls the speed at which it loads. Most problems showed up when a unknowing person tried to go too fast and the first thing to jamb was the auto primer feed. When in operation the machine has a large case feeder that held thousands in a funnel shaped holder.The bullets were fed through long plastic tubes that held over a hundred bullets IIRC. The primer feed was in tubes like the Dillon uses. If you tore down the feeder bar every day which only required the removal of a couple of bolts and gave the machine a good cleaning it was problem free.I was training a new guy to load and when he got a primer jamb he used a hammer to hit the jammed primer feed so that he would not have to take off the bar to clear it. It blew the entire primer feed and tubes through the ceiling. Last time for that mistake. They are like any other machine in that if you run it correctly and do proper maintenance then it will work for you.

Fairshake, the Camdex machines don't operate that way anymore. They no longer support the machines you are talking about. IF you can get them to upgrade an old machine (they will do it on some but no all) it is about 6-10K depending on the vintage. Times change !!!

Although it has been since 1990 since I loaded on one they would be models around I would think. They had several small Depts that purchased the machines and then went to the semi autos and purchased factory ammo. I know I am old and out of touch but I was referring to what may be found still in a usable condition. If it worked and performed the job needed what would it matter? It seems that any person who worked with Camdex would be a source of information. Sorry I brought up model T info.

Hey thanks Fairshake............... do you happen to remember the model numbers you loaded on?

Regards.......Wolf

Now you are streaching it. My wife will tell you that I don't remember much. I tore them machines down for cleaning and general maintance so many times I have lost count. If I see a picture of it I can tell that is it as I loaded on them for about 10 years or more. They worked with a stainless bar that was cut out to half a case. The other piece was left on the machine. It had a powder check shutdown stage It also had the reostat to control speed from a craw to faster than all git out. I will try to find some paper work that I signed on one of them. We were given a Federal Grant to purchase the machine from another LEO that bought it and then changed over to semi auto and decided to shoot the j bullets. The machine was less than a year old and that is what I meant by my posting. Just as they still have them pan head Harleys in barns, so they still have them old camdex's stored in some towns surplus barn.

Archived