SASS Wire Forum

AZOOM Snap Caps

Beeline Bullet

I didn't want to hijack another thread so asking this question here.

I have been using the same AZoom snap caps for over a year and was wondering how long the soft inserts that the firing pin strikes normally last? When new the made a 'thud' sound but it didn't take too long before a metalic sound started. When I have the hammer down there is still a gap between the hammer and the frame and you can push down further with your thumb.

Does that metalic sound indicate something bad?

Thanks

Beeline.

I didn't want to hijack another thread so asking this question here.

I have been using the same AZoom snap caps for over a year and was wondering how long the soft inserts that the firing pin strikes normally last? When new the made a 'thud' sound but it didn't take too long before a metalic sound started. When I have the hammer down there is still a gap between the hammer and the frame and you can push down further with your thumb.

Does that metalic sound indicate something bad?

Thanks

Beeline.

I replace mine about every 3-4 months, as the insert gets a noticable divot and the FP no longer hits it anyway. Can't hear well enough to notice any funny sounds when dry firing so no help there, course wife says I don't hear any normal sounds either :lol: , at least I think thats what she said :lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The metallic sound is the hammer face hitting the frame. If there is still enough resilience in the little rubber baby buggy bumper to slow the hammer, no harm, no foul. Unfortunately, no way to accurately measure the remaining resistance. Since snap caps are cheap, and guns aren't, if your in doubt, replace 'em.

Coffinmaker

The test that was recommended to me by AJ (who makes the best snap caps going)is to push the hammer hard against the caps surface and watch for a spring back effect. If the hammer springs back smartly then there is still life left in the snap cap but if there is a mushy return or no return, the protection is minimal or non existent. With the A-Zooms I have had mixed results for some reason, a few lasting only a short time while others have lasted very well with moderate use. A-Zooms are to expensive not to offer dependable protection for a long period and though AJs are very pricey, they seem to be lasting indefinitely and the guns that use 45s have become my dry fire go to pistols. AJ does not do the 44-40 so I now use my A-Zooms for the rifle.

Archived