SASS Wire Forum

Shot size recommendations?

Arizona Pete, SASS#27943

I'm loading 10 ga. shells, and have been using 7.5 shot.... but having trouble finding 7.5

I have a bag of 8.5, and wondering if it makes much difference...

Loading the 10's with 100 gr. of BP.... :ph34r:

wondering if it makes much difference...

Pete, look at it this way, your shooting CAS distances not trying to hit a duck at 40 yards!

So the only difference is the shot is smaller and there are 147 more pellets per ounce

With them 147 extras - Zero Excuses for Misses! :D

Cheaper to use what you already have. I have yet to see any KD stand up to a direct hit from a 20 ga. much less from a 10ga.

I can't imagine that you'll know the difference for CAS.

100 gr of black powder!?!? A man after me own heart. Just don't point that cannon close to anything you wish not to incinerate! :wub: I shoot 75 gr FFg in my 12, and my dear departed pard El Paso Pete told me at EoT the time I met him that my loads were kinda light! :blink:

The Dark Side is strong in this one!

JHC ;)

I can't imagine that you'll know the difference for CAS.

100 gr of black powder!?!? A man after me own heart. Just don't point that cannon close to anything you wish not to incinerate! :wub: I shoot 75 gr FFg in my 12, and my dear departed pard El Paso Pete told me at EoT the time I met him that my loads were kinda light! :blink:

The Dark Side is strong in this one!

JHC ;)

Yep ! Smoke, fire & BOOM! LOL :D

I doubt you'll see any difference between 7.5 and 8.5 in that ten gauge! :blink:

Actual weight of the shot charge will be a little more, don't see where that will make any difference to ya, biggest change is of course pattern density but you ain't shootin at ducks!

In 1oz 12ga loads (or less but I don't shoot a lot of 7/8oz loads) I think the 7.5 is an advantage (in theory) because it has a bit more oomph when it hits than the 8's or teeny-weeny 9's. But in any case, ya still gotta get enough shot ON the target to take'er down! :o

Some of the clubs I shoot at have shotgun targets in poor condition. Smaller shot when it flys back hurts less so I often load with 8 1/2 shot. A thin, over-the-shot card keeps the tiny shot in place when a crimp dosen't close completely.

Some of the clubs I shoot at have shotgun targets in poor condition. Smaller shot when it flys back hurts less so I often load with 8 1/2 shot. A thin, over-the-shot card keeps the tiny shot in place when a crimp dosen't close completely.

I use an over-shot card and a roll crimp, so don't have a problem with shot 'dribble' LOL

It's the weight of the shot plus the force (powder charge) behind it that matters for CAS. The size the BBs is irrelevant for our game. Having said that, too much power will give you a pattern like a donut which is useless for knockdowns. Match the charge to the weight and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

I have discovered that these CAS shooting targets are a big harder to kill than sheet when you hit them.

I hope you get a limit! :)

Archived