SASS Wire Forum

1873 uberti carrier

Jim8086

There's 2 schools of thought on that.One the aluminum is lighter,therefore faster to a degree over the brass one.The other is the brass has a longer life than the aluminum has so the aluminum one will need to be replaced sooner.A 73 with a short stroke kit as a rule uses the aluminum carrier.If all you want is a non short stroked action job,I can tell you for a fact that one done on a brass carrier is very smooth and you will notice a definate difference over an out of the box rifle.I had Longhunter do just action jobs on 2 of my 73's and his work is superb.

There are a few guys that are running the fastest splits possible on the 73's using brass or aluminum caarriers. It's impossible to measure. To say one is faster over the other is a shot in the dark. At best it's a mod that only about 2% of the shooters in the sport could take advantage of. Save your money stick with brass and buy more ammo components with the savings.You'll be much farther ahead.

Plus One to Deuce Stevens.

The difference in "speed" between an Aluminum Carrier and a Brass one is ......... negligible. I build a lot of competition rifles and the majority of my customers request a Brass Carrier. Of those who have requested Aluminum about half have switched back to Brass within a year. If your shooting a stock Uberti, or one with an action job alone, you'll need the mass of the Brass Carrier for the rifle to function well as it gets dirty (it will), so I recommend sticking with the Brass Carrier.

Some shooters just have to have the latest "high tech" stuff, just knowing it will make them faster. NOT. Practice grasshopper, practice!!

Coffinmaker

What Deuce said! An aluminum is lighter and the action will "feel" lighter on the opening stroke than with brass. On the other hand when the action gets gummy, the aluminum carrier lacks the weight to "help" it lower but if your springs are set up correctly, this might not be a problem.

Is AL "faster" than BR ? Like Deuce said, I doubt many shooters could even take advantage of this IF it is true. I think brass carriers are more reliable, myself and that's what I use.

There are a few guys that are running the fastest splits possible on the 73's using brass or aluminum caarriers. It's impossible to measure. To say one is faster over the other is a shot in the dark. At best it's a mod that only about 2% of the shooters in the sport could take advantage of. Save your money stick with brass and buy more ammo components with the savings.You'll be much farther ahead.

Hi, I am new to SASS so i have a question-when a 1873 is tuned up-which is better a alunimum lifter/carrier or a brass one? Thanks

:rolleyes: Have two of each, can't tell a nits worth of difference. Ain't worn any of them out yet. gotta keep tryin'. C.W. :FlagAm:

Switched back to brass and rifle worked much better. Of course my brass carrier has been milled to lightened it and works great. Aluminum carrier don't last longer than brass, IMHO.

Just my humble opinion -- wife often says I'm wrong ;)

If a '73 is set up properly, the lever will move the carrier up and move it down at the proper time and the weight of the carrier is not a factor.

The carrier hangs on the end of the lifter arm out about 3 inches from the pivot point (screw) and is activated by the lever that hits the lifter arm about a 1/2 inch from the pivot. The weight of the carrier has the mechanical advantage.

A stock, brass carrier weighs about 4 oz. A machined and lightened brass carrier weighs about 3 oz. An aluminum carrier weighs about 1 oz.

The weight of the carrier is a factor as to the required tension on the lifter arm spring and (as Don said) as to the ease of levering down. The lifter arm spring merely holds the carrier all the way up at the top or all the way down at the bottom. The lighter the carrier, the lighter (theoretically) you can set the lifter arm spring. This, coupled with the lighter weight of the carrier hanging on the end of the lifter arm, can make for a lighter feeling action. But,,,,,, if you run the thing as fast as Deuce, you will never know :lol: .

Different strokes for different folks --- your mileage may vary :)

Archived