SASS Wire Forum

44 mag/special Vaqueros?

Charlie Harley, #14153

I have a pair of old model Vaqueros in 44 mag. These are the original heavy frame guns and I love them to death. My nephew, a 17 year old high school junior and hopeful West Point candidate, has taken a liking to them also. As he said today while we were shooting at my parents' farm, "They have the right amount of 'Thump!'"

I went looking on Ruger's web site but it appears that they now only sell 357 and 45 Colt models. I recall that the 44 mag was dropped from the line due to the smaller frame not being able to handle Keith's creation.

Does anybody know if Ruger makes any 44 mag Vaqueros, or maybe some in 44 specials? I'm going to poke around in the Classifieds too.

I have a pair of old model Vaqueros in 44 mag. These are the original heavy frame guns and I love them to death. My nephew, a 17 year old high school junior and hopeful West Point candidate, has taken a liking to them also. As he said today while we were shooting at my parents' farm, "They have the right amount of 'Thump!'"

I went looking on Ruger's web site but it appears that they now only sell 357 and 45 Colt models. I recall that the 44 mag was dropped from the line due to the smaller frame not being able to handle Keith's creation.

Does anybody know if Ruger makes any 44 mag Vaqueros, or maybe some in 44 specials? I'm going to poke around in the Classifieds too.

Check Ruger's site under "distributer exclusives" in the Vaquero section. They have em in 44spl, but no new Vaqueros in 44 mag.

Just ordered a set of Rugers in 44 Special, Model #5145 :D

these are Sheriffs model with 3 3/4 in. barrels in S/S.

These are from Ruger. They are not making any Vaqueros

in 44 Magnum, yet!

Happy trails :)

QSG/Mike

The NewVaqs are not strong enough for 44Mag. They CAN however be safety upgraded from the 357 variety to 41Mag on a custom basis.

See my notes on page 2 of this thread:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166362

Upshot: the NewVaqs (including the 44Spl models which are marked "Vaquero" only!) are fundamentally better guns than the large-frame in terms of average accuracy, uniform cylinder bores and the cylinder's dimensions.

They only make the Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem Magnum now.

There are the old large frame Vaqueros in .44 Rem Magnum still out there. I have acquired a pair in the last six months...one off the wire and one at a local gun show.

You may have to shop for a bit, but you can find them.

Howdy,

If that young fella really likes 44 mag, some time he should try the

superblackhawk. Ruger designed this revolver around the 44 mag.

And the longer barrels allow development of full speed and impact.

Over the years Ruger has created several very interesting 44 mag offerings.

44 mag deerslayer auto carbine

44 mag lever action carbine

44 mag superblackhawk

44 mag blackhawk

44 mag vaquero

44 mag redhawk

and probably a couple that dont come to mind.

Best

CR

Just ordered a set of Rugers in 44 Special, Model #5145 :D

these are Sheriffs model with 3 3/4 in. barrels in S/S.

These are from Ruger. They are not making any Vaqueros

in 44 Magnum, yet!

Happy trails :)

QSG/Mike

I've had mine for a little over a month now and they are seriously fun to shoot. But then again what isn't fun to shoot...

QWL

CH

I decided on the old model 44 mag in stainless and 5 1/2 inch barrels. Part of this decision was to eventually shoot in the CC class. The 44 mag is a prime example of why the terminology of "new Vaquero" and "old Vaquero". The New Vaquero was invented to create a gun with less weight to mimic the classic Colt. The Old Vaquero is significantly a heavier weight of gun. Thus the newer version cannot handle the stress of 44 mags and I imagine scaling back to fewer calibers helped Rugers bottom line.

The good news is there are still plenty of Vaquero and Bisley Vaqueros available in 44 mag on Gunbroker.com. Stainless, blued and 4 3/4, 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 barrel lengths are out there as well as new unfired or used. Read the specs under the sale and you will see consecutive pairs available upon request.

I love mine and will practice with my cowboy loads but before I am done will fire off a box of hot magnum rounds. Best of both worlds....good luck

I just wanted something in .44 special to shoot SASS. I have a

Cimarron Sheriffs model nickle w/birdshead grips and was looking for

a second one (still am) and a Taurus Pug, now this is a fun gun

to shoot. I do like the .44 Special :blush:

Happy trails

QDG

Ruger does not make the OM Vaquero any longer in any caliber. They are out there on the used market. There is a 44 Spcl out there in the New Model Vaquero, SS, its a great looking gun. I will not part with my OM Vaq. in .44 because of how solid they are. You can find them though.....Good luck

I know u said Vequero, but I bought a pair of SS Blackhawk .44 sp recently for back up to my .357s

The were worked on by Surly Dave. and they are great to shoot.

See ya

CCBA :FlagAm:

All of my 44 mags are decidedly more fun to shoot loaded as 44 specials. My go to war load is 44 spec 240 grainers at 1000 fps Skeeter Skelton load. Given the only 44s I have are ruger 44 mags I dont worry about the pressure and would never let anyone else have the skeeter reloads. Preemptive strike for you flamers out there. Non go to war are just about factory 44 specs.

I like the original bigger framed Vaqueros in 44 mag. I shoot them with blackpowder 44 Russians or specials. The biggest change to me was putting the Gunfighter grips on them. They felt 100% better compared to the stock grips for me shooting duelist. I haven't tried any Vaqueros with the lower hammer to compare.

IT IS NOT GOT THAT-IT IS NOT OLD MODEL VAQUERO :) BUT "VAQUERO" :)

HAR!!! Give it up Slic, ye are wasting yer breath. I have ranted at these jaspers over and over and over that there is NO such thing as an Old MODEL Vaquero. ALL Vaqueros, original RVs and New Vaqueros alike are New Model Rugers. There has never been and can never possibly be any such thing as an OMV. They flat plain do not care. They are gonna do what they are gonna do and that is call original Vaqueros -- (what we used to abbreviate as RVs) Old Model Vaqueros even tho they ain't and cannot be.

Why is beyond me, but at least 90% of the denizens here still say OMV and NMV when it is easier and with less key-strokes (you'd think a buncha gamers and wanna be gamers would go for this) to just type RV or old Vaquero and NV or New Vaquero, instead of insisting on putting that word model in-between there. Even tho the last Old MODEL Ruger was built 20 years before the FIRST Vaquero rolled off the line. Losin' battle, I had to pretty much admit defeat at...

Just one of life's consternatin' mysteries...

Take a look at gunbroker.

They have several 5.5 inch 44 mag "old" model vaqueros closing today.

There are 6 closing today with 2 of them bisley models.

2 of them (non-bisley) are offered by the same vendor for $490 each, no bids so far closes 1:59 eastern today.

Most are listed New inbox.

BNVI475 I think that is ruger speak for "old" model vaquero.

HAR!!! Give it up Slic, ye are wasting yer breath. I have ranted at these jaspers over and over and over that there is NO such thing as an Old MODEL Vaquero. ALL Vaqueros, original RVs and New Vaqueros alike are New Model Rugers. There has never been and can never possibly be any such thing as an OMV.

You're being pedantic.

The original Vaquero became the old model Vaquero (is it better if I don't capitalize it?) the instant the New Vaquero came out. It has nothing to do with the Blackhawk model nomenclature, in which "New Model Blackhawk" refers to the models which incorporate a transfer bar.

OMV and NMV are handy, concise, logical abbreviations to draw an important distinction between the old large-frame Vaqueros and the new medium-frame ones, a distinction that Ruger left fuzzy.

I don't know what pedantic means nor do I care. I do however know that when referring to Ruger revolvers Old MODEL means a gun put together with screws and NO transfer bar. It is not limited to JUST Blackhawks. There were Old Model Single Sixes and Bearcats too. There were NO Old Model Vaqueros. Twenty years went by between the last Old Model Ruger and the FIRST Vaquero. Therefore there is NO such thing, never was and can never be ANY such thing as an Old Model Vaquero. There are Ruger Vaqueros (RVs), old Vaqueros, original Vaqueros, big Vaqueros, and New Vaqueros BUT there are NO Old Model Vaqueros.

Period. End of story. Except in the minds of cowboy shooters. If you use the misnomer Old Model Vaquero on the Ruger forum, you will be taken to task posthaste. As you should.

OMV and NMV are not "convenient" terms of reference. At least one(OMV) is just flat plain wrong and a misnomer and should be forsworn, shunned, and, indeed banned. NMV is repetitious and one unnecessary letter too long. ALL Vaqueros are New Models. Much easier and more accurate to just say New Vaquero and Vaquero or Old Vaq. Leave that word Model out. Why not do it? I cannot fathom or comprehend.

I know I am outnumbered here (but only here) at least 91 to 9 but I will never say die on this. Listen to Slic Lee and me guys.

I appreciate the PMs that folks sent regarding access to another Old Model Vaquero or two in 44 Mag. I'll pass the notes on to my dad. He's looking to get one as a graduation present for my nephew 'cause I'm not going to sell him mine. But I'll let Lou enjoy the guns until Grandpa comes through with another Old Model Vaquero.

Yep, I sure do like the beefier feel of the Old Model Vaqueros. My nephew has tried Grandpa's Colt SAA, which is what the New Model Vaquero is supposed to feel like. He says it's just not quite the same heft in the hand as my Old Model Vaquero.

It ain't the "O" that's the bone of contention, it's the "M".

Old Vaquero and original Vaquero are just fine, shorter and easier to type. Easy squeezy, what a concept.

Old Model Vaquero is just wrong. OMV is something that never was, is not and can never be.

This is not hard. Except for us hard heads.

I know of the availability of a 5.5 inch blue steel Vaquero in 44 mag. E-mail me @ dr3498@hotmail.com....Yoos-ta-be-kid, Flagstaff AZ

You want a good set of .44 mag Vaquero's buy NIB off one of the auction sites. Send then to Oglesby & Oglesby to be worked on. I have several custom six-guns and have shot a lot of other smith's worked guns and I have not found any smith better. Wes is up there with Bill Oglesby for the Rugers. Everyone that knows me knows I shoot 2nd gen Colt 1851's but the one of only 2 smokeless matches I have shoot in the last 8 yeas is with the Oglesby .44's. The only other match was with special order pair of Colt 3rd gen Nickle plated black powder framed .44WCF.

I don't know what pedantic means nor do I care. I do however know that when referring to Ruger revolvers Old MODEL means a gun put together with screws and NO transfer bar. It is not limited to JUST Blackhawks. There were Old Model Single Sixes and Bearcats too. There were NO Old Model Vaqueros. Twenty years went by between the last Old Model Ruger and the FIRST Vaquero. Therefore there is NO such thing, never was and can never be ANY such thing as an Old Model Vaquero. There are Ruger Vaqueros (RVs), old Vaqueros, original Vaqueros, big Vaqueros, and New Vaqueros BUT there are NO Old Model Vaqueros.

Period. End of story. Except in the minds of cowboy shooters. If you use the misnomer Old Model Vaquero on the Ruger forum, you will be taken to task posthaste. As you should.

OMV and NMV are not "convenient" terms of reference. At least one(OMV) is just flat plain wrong and a misnomer and should be forsworn, shunned, and, indeed banned. NMV is repetitious and one unnecessary letter too long. ALL Vaqueros are New Models. Much easier and more accurate to just say New Vaquero and Vaquero or Old Vaq. Leave that word Model out. Why not do it? I cannot fathom or comprehend.

I know I am outnumbered here (but only here) at least 91 to 9 but I will never say die on this. Listen to Slic Lee and me guys.

Hey Lone Dog,

Did you ever see a Blackhawk, Bearcat or Single Six with the words "Old Model" stamped on the lower half of the cylinder frame? No, no you havn't, at least not from the factory. Ruger only taged these guns with the name "Old Model" because they had a significant design change. They never made guns labeled that way. These original were refered to "Old Models" after they were built and there was a safety design change.

http://www.ruger.com/safety/announcements.html

As far as the internals go there hasn't been much of a change if any in the last 30 years? There hasn't been a safety recall so Ruger has not needed to do a single action line recall notice to all Ruger shooters like they did in the years past. What do you think Ruger would refer to the Vaqueros as if they decided to recall them? -_-

That being said, I do not understand why some of you guys here and on the Ruger forum get their dander up when someone refers to the first run of Vaqueros as old models, these are not New Models as the current ones are just as the original Blackhawks, SuperBlackhawks, Single Sixes, and Bearcats were not manufactured as "Old Models" either. As I said above, if you can show me where any of these were marked from the factory as such then I will see your point is valid. JMHO.

KQ

My point is, and this is widely recognized everywhere but here on the SASS wire where the majority also believe there are two "o"s in lose, is that there are Old Model Rugers and there are New Model Rugers.

ALL Vaqueros are New Models.

Don't feel bad. They think you have two "strong" side holsters too. :rolleyes:

Only if you're truly ambidextrous do you have two "strong" sides ;)

Howdy,

If that young fella really likes 44 mag, some time he should try the

superblackhawk. Ruger designed this revolver around the 44 mag.

And the longer barrels allow development of full speed and impact.

Over the years Ruger has created several very interesting 44 mag offerings.

44 mag deerslayer auto carbine

44 mag lever action carbine

44 mag superblackhawk

44 mag blackhawk

44 mag vaquero

44 mag redhawk

and probably a couple that dont come to mind.

Best

CR

Model 77/44 as well.

Archived