SASS Wire Forum

Was gonna buy a Bisley today.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, after much hemming and hawing over it, I went to a very nice gunstore up in Maine with the intent of purchasing a Colt Bisley, 4-3/4" bbl .32-20 made in 1907 according to the serial number. The finish looks old, as you would expect, the grips are worn pretty smooth, but mechancinally, the gun is flawless, and the bore is very good. Cost was $1650.00

All things considered, I think it was a steal at that price. And I have always thought the Bisley was a facinating looking gun, and considered it'd be a good thing to have in the collection. Plus, I need a second revolver in .32-20 to complete that battery.

But I didn't buy it.

Simply put, the odd shape grips don't fit my hand well at all. Whilst cocking the gun, I found it difficult to not be holding the trigger back, or I'd find it "slipping" to the half cock notch unless I was very precise in my movements. It soon became clear to me that this was not the gun for me. Especially not if I wanted to try to shoot it as quickly as possible.

Now, I am not saying that the Bisley is a bad design, I am just saying that it did not work for ME. In all honesty, I've never found a gun before that I didn't feel that I could properly operate, and I've got a very varied and ecclectic collection of stuff.

If there is any "moral" to this story, other than it being hopefully interesting, it is that it is always worth the effort to actually handle a gun of a type you've not had before prior to the purchase. You just might find that, as nice as it is, it's not right for you.

I too find the "Bisley" grip shape hard to handel for fast,,,,, For me anyway,,, shooting

But I can also use the OMV real well for target shooting ,,, just not for, from the holster quick shooting ...

I second the try BEFORE you BUY !!!!

Jabez Cowboy

I recently sold my Colt Bisley (.32 WCF made in 1902) because its grips was so different than my OMV and Colt SAA clones.

If you are still looking for a steal on a Colt, check out www.cherrys.com. They have brand new third-gens for $1250 for nickel. The newer Colts are much better than those made 10-20 years ago.

The .32 WCF is a great round. I have a Winnie '73 made in 1890 that is one of my most accurate rifles.

I just got a pair of Uberti Bisleys that are a copy of the Colt. I find it as easy if not easier to cock the hammer than the SAA's. I have somewhat medium sized hands and the grips on the Bisleys fit pretty good but not as comfortable as the SAA's, in fact no guns are as comfortable as the SAA's. Rye B)

I don't like the way the Colt Bisleys feel. However... I lub :wub: my Ruger Bisleys. They don't have that huge swell at the bottom of the grip to bother my big mitts.

The Bisley was originated as a slow fire precision target gun. It was never intended as a rapid fire or combat gun.

All that being said, I find the Bisley perfect for a Sass match. Target gun, cool. Taget grip allows me to stay on target as fast as I can rip it. Not that that's very fast, the youngins are showing us what's fast. After more than a few years of shooting a vaquero and stating how aful they looked and felt, I realized what a jack*** I was. I used a pards pair of Bisleys one day at a match, mostly cause I had left my pistols on the bench in the gun room at home. That one match changed my mine, clean and fast, you know for me. I grabbed a pair of bisley within a few weeks and I've been grinning every since. And thats been four or five years ago. So decide fer you own selt, but keep an open mind..............

I had a pair of uberti Bisley's with 5 1/2 in. barrels and in .45. I loved the guns, I thought they looked great. I was shooting duelist and near the end of each string i would start to miss. shooting low. I think I was breaking my wrist. Traded them for a yellow boy and a SXS shotgun and later got a air of 58 Remingtons with 7 1/2 in barrels and conversion cylinders started hitting the targets more (few clean matches over the years).

The Bisley's looked great, but not everyone can shoot them.

Keep them on the metal boys!

Archived