SASS Wire Forum

why is it hard to find an M9 bayonet

Trigger Mike

It's my understanding that the earlier model had the pouch sheath and it was removed on later models. The early ones are getting scarce.

More info

Here's a copy

You seem to make a big deal over a M9 bayonet...Not being a combat Vet, why...This is not to hurt any ones feeling...Just want know...

Texas lizard

Can't speak for th OP...but

I am not a vet and I like to collect various military implements when I can - for me it's acquiring a piece of history.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You seem to make a big deal over a M9 bayonet...Not being a combat Vet, why...This is not to hurt any ones feeling...Just want know...

Texas lizard

Huh? Didn't see anybody makin a big deal about it. MIke was just lookin fer one with the pouch is all.

Mebbe he's got some barb wire to cut.

Or an M-4 that needs a counter balance. :lol:

Texas lizard

It is just what I was issued and took with me to the sand box. I have a M-7 like my dad had in Vietnam already and want to round everything out with an M9 like I carried. I don't really want a chinese version and want one with the pouch as we had a pouch on our scabbard.

It is just what I was issued and took with me to the sand box. I have a M-7 like my dad had in Vietnam already and want to round everything out with an M9 like I carried. I don't really want a chinese version and want one with the pouch as we had a pouch on our scabbard.

I suspect bayonet prices will continue to rise what with the demise of bayonet training.

They no longer do bayonet training? Oh my! why!??

Change in training doctrine.

Don't get me started.

They no longer do bayonet training? Oh my! why!??

Change in training doctrine.

Don't get me started.

Link

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

How much do you want to spend??

M-9

I spend that much for a M9 bayonet... there best be a rifle attached to it.

dang...

ts

Texas lizard

Collectors, and "combat vets" enjoy collecting and acquiring these and other items used by military forces throughout history. Myself, I collected USAAF and Luftwaffe items from WW2, including dress swords, daggers, and bayonets. MT

I should like to point out that the genius who thought up the plan, Gen. Hertling, is not an Infantry officer. He is an Armor officer.

I have never seen a bayonet on a tank. <_<

I should like to point out that the genius who thought up the plan, Gen. Hertling, is not an Infantry officer. He is an Armor officer.

I have never seen a bayonet on a tank. dry.gif

Well - it is what it is....sadly.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have never seen a bayonet on a tank. <_<

Gen Hertling was the first Brigade commander I ever served under, in the 90s when he was a O-6. He was indeed an Armor officer. I can’t speak for him now, but even then, that man could out-run and out-PT ANYONE I’ve ever seen, could outrun the youngest of his officers no matter where they came from or what branch they were. While I had great respect for the man as a leader, I too question some of his policy-related decisions later on. He has however led the charge to change the PT test into an obstacle course to be run in gear with weapons in some events. I think that’s a improvement over how many sit-ups and pushups someone can do.

As for the bayonets, the early ones were made by various companies. They got rid of the pouch pretty early and mounted the sharpening stone recessed into the back of the scabbard. I still have mine from active duty, “creatively acquired” as I never had to sign for it (and all those who served knows what that means). Mine was made by Phobis, but was the pattern after they got rid of the pouch. I too have been looking for one of the early ones as I’m doing historical displays about Desert Storm this year but have had real problems finding an original one of that pattern. The later ones, I can find all over the place.

Archived