SASS Wire Forum

"Best" '97 Shotgun repro of the moment?

Wes Durn, SASS#18998

Hello folks,

I know "best" is subjective to say the least - but just wondering what is considered the best/better '97 repro currently offered.(in terms of quality, finish, etc.) I'm tired of trying to extend the life of already well-worn original old-timers, so think it's finally time to "take the plunge" and pick up a copy to hit the range with(and hopefully the targets as well ^_^ )

Any and all opinions appreciated - thanks in advance,

Wes

IAC

Close to 2k through mine, and I've been pretty pleased. Make sure the serial number starts with 04 or later. (4th generation or better.)

Yup, Uno Mas or one more in agreement with Uno Mas.

They all can use a little slicking up, but when I cycle my very slick Winchester is goes Shunk-shunk.

When I cycle my IAC's, they go Clack-clack. Evidently due to a little harder steel in better shape.

The Winchesters semm to be just a little slicker, but I don't notice any difference between the them after the beep.

But I've worn out two Winchesters in about half the time I've been shooting two IACs and the IACs are still going strong.

Mack,

I assume you mean an IAC 97.

If you find an 'excellent condition' used one, its probably a recent (last couple years) purchase and probably cost about $300-350 new.

BUT, that being stated, I would figure one in EX condition would be worth $300.....especially if its an 09 series.

I've been told the 10 series is out there but I haven't seen one.

I got two of my 09 series for $300 and another one for $375 that had been smithed real nice.

Anyhow, thats strickly a 'guess' of mine based on my experiences this past 18 months.

..........Widder

Picked up an 09 series NIB last month for $370. Seems plenty solid.

Word of warning: check and tighten all the screws before heading to the range with one. The Uberti screw gorilla does not work for Norinco.

I ended up buying a cimarron repro from a local dealer this week to get ready for WB shooting, and I found two things to be true:

1) it holds 6 x 2 3/4" with no problem, and

2) it slam fires just fine - went through 50 rounds today without a hitch.

The butt-pad on it not the prettiest thing (wood to pad fit is poor, and the pad does not follow the 'lines' of the stock), but other than that it has a pretty good fit & finish.

Ok, how do you tell the difference between an 09, 03, 06, or a 10 series?

The series will be the first 2 digits of the serial number.

I have an IAC 97 and 97 trench gun and 2 93/97s. None has ever skipped a beat. Can't say that about all my old originals.

I suspect Cimarron has upped the quality of the former TTN 97 a bunch. Don't know that for sure, just suspect it.

Whatever you do, steer clear of the CAI 97 made by Kuandian. Good only for a tomato stake. Some guys are often trying to sell one here on the SASS Classifieds and they never mention what dogs they are. I do not understand how a "pard" can do this. I bought one that was supposed to be an IAC and even had a picture in the post of an actual IAC laying on the IAC box. Should have known that the price was too good to be true. He took it back and swapped it for the real deal but not at the advertised price. An expensive lesson. The dogs are imported by Century (CAI) and made by Kuandian. If you see either name on one, run away.

Man, I really want the '97 Trench Broom.

I'll put the 16" pig sticker on it. That'll get the TO's attention!

Best get one now Uno.

I understand it's on the DOJ/ATF hit list of shotguns they want to ban the importation of since it doesn't meet the "sporting purposes" canard.

I just ordered a Trench Gun from Buds for the above reason. I'll use it in WB matches.

Where's a good place to get a replica WWI bayonet?

Where's a good place to get a replica WWI bayonet?

Found this one for $70 => http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=322977

With originals going for $200 to $400, it might be your best bet.

Man, I really want the '97 Trench Broom.

I'll put the 16" pig sticker on it. That'll get the TO's attention!

Over on the WB wire I asked if I could shoot matches with bayonet attached to my trench gun.

The powers that be said NO in no uncertain terms.

Dang it.

Best get one now Uno.

I understand it's on the DOJ/ATF hit list of shotguns they want to ban the importation of since it doesn't meet the "sporting purposes" canard.

Unfortunately, it doesn't meet the wife's "sporting purposes" definition either.

Church Key, if I may, how much did you pay?

Lone Dog: What Party Poopers! :lol:

It was $381 delivered to my FFL; bought via Gunbroker from Buds. My FFL charges $5! There is lots of competition for transfers in WV.

If I had gotten it directly from Buds (bypassing Gunbroker) it would have been $366 X 1.03 (Visa charge) = $377.

I still like the bayonet for a house gun. Charging down the steps and screaming real loud with it would discourage most burglars.

It was $381 delivered to my FFL; bought via Gunbroker from Buds. My FFL charges $5! There is lots of competition for transfers in WV.

If I had gotten it directly from Buds (bypassing Gunbroker) it would have been $366 X 1.03 (Visa charge) = $377.

I still like the bayonet for a house gun. Charging down the steps and screaming real loud with it would discourage most burglars.

Thank yee, sir!

A bayonet for a home defense weapon? Hell, you'd win on style points alone.

I have a brand new/unfired IAC 97 that since it makes for my 4th cowboy shotgun and I won't be shooting Wild Bunch is extra and available for probably cheap. (ie. no more than 300 bucks). I lost the Styrofoam box in the move, but the gun was well padded in a gun cabinet during the move and is ready to sell. Any offers? Smithy.

Smithy, auctions are not allowed here per the SASS Wire guidelines. If you want to sell it, you must post it on the Classifieds section and set an initial price.

I.E. $300 plus shipping or free shipping for example. If no one bites then you are free to start dropping the price until someone can no longer resist. Pards are also welcome to post lower offers on your for sale thread, which you may accept or respectfully decline.

I would think it would sell pretty quick at 300 especially if that is shipped.

Smithy, auctions are not allowed here per the SASS Wire guidelines. If you want to sell it, you must post it on the Classifieds section and set an initial price.

I.E. $300 plus shipping or free shipping for example. If no one bites then you are free to start dropping the price until someone can no longer resist. Pards are also welcome to post lower offers on your for sale thread, which you may accept or respectfully decline.

I would think it would sell pretty quick at 300 especially if that is shipped.

Whoops! Sorry about that. I was going for the direct route and forgot about the rules/classifieds etc. I have since placed an ad in the classifieds with a couple extra items that hopefully will go quick. Thanks for the heads up. Smithy.

What Generation, Smithy?

Whoops!

Came from Able's Ammo less than 2 months ago if that'll tell you what you need. Otherwise I'll need directions on what to look for on the gun to be able to tell you any more. Smithy.

I have two Winchester 1897 and two IAC 97's, all of them have had work done to them and run pretty well. I mainly use my Winchester all the time. But I had bought a IAC 97 that was worked on by Jimmy Spurs and it is one sweet gun. I have thought about using it more often and putting the Winny to bed for awhile.

HUd McCoy

Archived