SASS Wire Forum

Gubsmoke TX

Lucky Lennie, #22244

The main match is in the books. The best of the many I have been to. The speed demons who stayed away missed a good one. The pistol targets were up close with no tricky shooting orders. The white elephant hasn't fully chnaged its color yet. The rifle targets were still out there, but they were hitable. If they could bring them in 10 feet all would ne happy. I did miss 2 rifle. 2 miss's for this match for a old senior deulist not bad. Over all I would rate this a good shoot. Best yet

Lucky Lennie,22244 LTG Regulator

Better to be lucky than good.

Hey Lucky Lennie, Hi from a fellow posse member. It was my first time at Traihead and all the negative hype made me consider not going but I thought they deserved a chance. I am very glad I made this match. Yeah, the rifle targets were out there but they were fair size and yes, I did miss a lot more than you but I am not that great a shooter. I missed the pistol targets too but they were big enough and at an okay distance. It was me and not the targets. Now, a couple of shotgun targets were puny but you know if I put the bead on them I got them. I have met the nicest people here and am so very glad I gave the match a chance. My hat is off to those who did such a great job putting on this match.

I arrived back home this morning from Trailhead.......a great match with really nice people. I thought the match was first rate and a pleasure to shoot. Congratulations Indian Jack on your Wild Bunch win and Indian Ray for showing me what an award looks like! LOL.

Yes, I too think the rifle targets need to be moved in some, and a few bigger ones added here and there. Other than that, this probably was the best Trailhead ever in terms of shooting. Too bad so many listened to the negative comments of a few and stayed away. Now, if I can just get my AMMUNITION problems resolved.

Yep it was a good match. It has the potential of being a GREAT match.

So far 3 post say move in the Rifle targets. I was told by someone in the know "that won't happen."

The shooters in the top 10 will most of the time be in the top 10. No matter what the size and distance to the target. It's the other shooters ya want to make happy. You also want to bring back the ones that left. Haven't seen the scores yet so don't know how many or if there were any clean shooters. Always a good way to measure a match's success.

I'll be back.

Wyandot

I arrived back home this morning from Trailhead.......a great match with really nice people. I thought the match was first rate and a pleasure to shoot. Congratulations Indian Jack on your Wild Bunch win and Indian Ray for showing me what an award looks like! LOL.

It was a great match and great people running it...my first time there and yes the targets were far out there but EVERYBODY had to shoot at them equally. Good to finally meet you down there Concho Billy......and Ray had a great time...it is all about the kids.

Wild Bunch category was a LOT of fun....most fun you can have with a $200.00 S&W Hand Ejector 38 and a $300.00 High Standard 1911. Ray and I will Def be back in 2012.

Yep it was a good match. It has the potential of being a GREAT match.

So far 3 post say move in the Rifle targets. I was told by someone in the know "that won't happen."

The shooters in the top 10 will most of the time be in the top 10. No matter what the size and distance to the target. It's the other shooters ya want to make happy. You also want to bring back the ones that left. Haven't seen the scores yet so don't know how many or if there were any clean shooters. Always a good way to measure a match's success.

I'll be back.

Wyandot

3 clean shooters.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Gubsmoke TX Traihead 2011

Don't think I ever saw any smoked Gubs.

(jes joshin' withya, Lennie... sounds like you had a real good time. I been plannin' on goin' now for nigh on three years... but my work always keeps me from it.0

ts

Out of how many shooters?

6 full posses ...i didn't count heads...

I attended the SASS Nebraska state championship one year and was one of 3 to clean the match. Didn't hear anyone there bitchin' about the size and distance of the targets. Wasn't any need to. So maybe there's more to it than the size and distance of the targets. Might be other factors. I do know my clean match there meant something to me. I also know my clean match at Jailbreak one year(along with 40-some others)meant very little, since it was so easy to do. Someone once said: What is too easily obtained is too little esteemed(or words to that effect). I agree.

Whether or not they change things some more at THSS is not up to me. But I'm not going to stop going just because I don't like everything about it. If members want more change they'll have to get officers who will give them what they want. Until then, I'll keep shootin' and I'll make the best of it.

I don't type or spell well, as you can see. 200% increase in clean shooter's a inprovement. NO P traps this year. An inprovement may be small but still a better shoot than in the past. While the improvement may be small still some is better. At least when you hit the shotgun targets they fallover. With time I am sure the rifle targets will come in a little. When I go to Trialhead I know what I am getting into. Yet as charter member of the PISS and MOAN ABOUT EVERYTHING CLUB. This better shoot than some other clubs in the greater Austin area. This week back to Michigan and matchs were, how fast can you cycle your guns at 5 yd pistol and 12yd rifle. I the big question as how much blood will I loose. Trying to have fun with all matches I enter and make the best of it. Speed deamons come to MI and shoot with the likes of Duce Stevens, Colt Mcallister, Three Gun cole, Doc Noper, Two Rig A Tony, and more.

Lucky Lennie

Really, I did not experience anything that could be considered a "P" trap in this shoot. The entire process was kind of easy.....just my opinion, but I didn't hear anyone claiming that they became confused on a stage. The pistol targets were about like any of the other clubs around Texas, outside maybe two who use really big & really close targets (I won't mention any club names here). The rifle targets are out there a bit and they are a challenge to try and run fast, but everyone is on the same level playing field, so it was ok. The only negative I saw was the price of Gasoline to get there......LOL.

My opinion was asked and was given freely. It was better than previous years but there is need of improvement if the goal is a larger attendance. There was some repetiveness in some of the stages and there was at least one stage with seperate order on each pistol and a different order on the rifle. I my opinion that was a P trap. With the distance, size, and lack of audio on the rifle targets it makes it too difficult for some counters to be accurate in counting. All that aside we were treated good by the match officials and they graciously allowed us to shoot through given Rattlesnake has missed so much school for other shoots.

There were other things that happened at the match that I was not happy about and it had nothing to do with the match or club. One of the things that happened was I overheard someone on one the posses making fun of and insulting my 12 year old son Rattlesnake. Now anyone who knows me knows I can take joking around and teasing stc. but when it comes to my son it's a whole other story. This person didn't know either one of us that I know of. I'm very glad that Rattlesnake did not hear what this person said about him because it would've crushed him for the match. After that incident my head was not into the game at all. I never told Rattlesnake what was said and I'm not going to. Incidently, on this particular stage there was a built in miss because you had to throw a stick of dynamite in a box off the clock for a five second bonus making it a built in miss for some people. However, Rattlesnake burnt this stage to the ground in a scorching 13 seconds.

OK 1 stage 3 pistol targets a nevada sweep from the left and nevada sweep from the right with 2nd pistol. Lewarence welk sweep on four rifle and 1,2,3,4. with shotgun. if this is a P trap folks then you need to find a different game to play. That was by far the most difficult stage. 3 bonus stages one trowing of the clock and the other 2 were shooting. Still most were stand and deliver. One bad stage in my appion was stage 5, I don't care to be running with my rifle back towards the crowd. Keep it pioned down range,our possie had no problem with it. One bad for trailhead not bad when compaired to other years, and most clubs in TX and MI for fact seem to find a bad stage from time to time.

Lennie

Better to be LUCKY than good.

My opinion was asked and was given freely. It was better than previous years but there is need of improvement if the goal is a larger attendance. There was some repetiveness in some of the stages and there was at least one stage with seperate order on each pistol and a different order on the rifle. I my opinion that was a P trap. With the distance, size, and lack of audio on the rifle targets it makes it too difficult for some counters to be accurate in counting. All that aside we were treated good by the match officials and they graciously allowed us to shoot through given Rattlesnake has missed so much school for other shoots.

There were other things that happened at the match that I was not happy about and it had nothing to do with the match or club. One of the things that happened was I overheard someone on one the posses making fun of and insulting my 12 year old son Rattlesnake. Now anyone who knows me knows I can take joking around and teasing stc. but when it comes to my son it's a whole other story. This person didn't know either one of us that I know of. I'm very glad that Rattlesnake did not hear what this person said about him because it would've crushed him for the match. After that incident my head was not into the game at all. I never told Rattlesnake what was said and I'm not going to. Incidently, on this particular stage there was a built in miss because you had to throw a stick of dynamite in a box off the clock for a five second bonus making it a built in miss for some people. However, Rattlesnake burnt this stage to the ground in a scorching 13 seconds.

Well, I'm glad I wasn't there because I don't think I could have controlled myself over someone insulting that fine young man you got there. Takes all kinds I guess.

Cant imagine what someone could say about a nice kid like Rattlesnake. From what I have seen he is a fine young man, good poker player and great shooter (13 seconds!!! wow). I hope you took the thoughtless feller to task.

Glad to hear things are getting better at Trailhead, maybe I will rethink next year.

Well, I'm glad I wasn't there because I don't think I could have controlled myself over someone insulting that fine young man you got there. Takes all kinds I guess.

Let me tell you Deuce it was all I could do to keep from it! I will say this, Rattlesnake thinks the world of you too. He watches your you tube videos everyday. He's always saying Deuce does this this way etc. It's awesome! It was funny at Winter Range they were calling him "Little Deuce" because of his speed and style of shooting is much like yours!

Colt

Sorry to hear that Colt, no one should insult a young man even if he didn't hear their words and Rattlesnake shot better than most of us anyway.

Yea Colt I have known Rattlesnake for a least 6 years and watched him grow into a good Kid. Sorry to hear that. You know me well enough to know if it would have been about my Grandson. Welllllll that's when the fight started.

Since he was #9 I would say he shot better than most. Like better than a 121 others.

Jim

Yea Colt I have known Rattlesnake for a least 6 years and watched him grow into a good Kid. Sorry to hear that. You know me well enough to know if it would have been about my Grandson. Welllllll that's when the fight started.

Since he was #9 I would say he shot better than most. Like better than a 121 others.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words Jim. Rattlesnake never said a word to the guy and I don't think he knew I was his father (although how could you not know that right? LOL?) Rattlesnake was 9th overall and shot like crap compared to his usual. I'm proud of him no matter how well he shoots he's got a big heart and he's a great kid. It's a shame someone thought so little of themselves to attack him.

Colt

Your a bigger man than me. You know how much I think of Rattlesnake. If I had been there and heard what was said..it may have turned into an old fashioned a$$ whoopin. Dont you change a thing on how your raising that boy.

Two Gun

....and Im glad to here that some things were good about the shoot itself. I like to see all clubs do well

Colt to bad words were said about your boy. I would have taken them to task with the range master. Know the real reason was the young boy was kickkkkking their ass. Just goes to show ya if a younging can do that good. Keep it up with the boy. The former CA shooter and winer that liked it so well in CA. Now wants the liberal CA inposed on Texans. I still feel it was the best Trailhead yet...... 10 years ago I was flying to attend this match. It was a good shoot them by the standards back then. I only hope they can make some more small changes.

Lennie Got LUCKY 1st Senior Deulist and haven't seen scores yet.

Better to be LUCKY than good.

sorry scores did not work

PICOSA

VERDADERO

WHEELGUN LUKE

LUCKY LENNIE

HEY YOU

WALTER DURBIN

COLT FARO

WYANDOT JIM

RATTLESNAKE WRANGLER

TENNESSEE SNUFFY

GALVEZ

WELL DIGGER

BOOTS CASSIDY

MARSHAL BIG DADDY JENKS

MAD DOG MCCOY

CROSSCUT HARDY

CATFISH DOYLE

DAKOTA DOC

CHEROKEE JONES

HAWKSHAW FRED

EL MACHO GRANDE

TELL SACKETT

LAWLESS VALLEY

NAVARRO NED

BRUSHY CREEK BILL

BARBWIRE BERNARD

CHARLES GOODNIGHT

TEXAS GHOST

CACTUS KAY

As another CA shooter who moved to TX and have called it home for over 20 years; am proud of the fact that my 1st US passort listed Dallas, TX as my port of entry in 1952; and having attended THSS' 1st shoot AND their 1st Annual, I can say that it still saddens me to read and hear reports like this of what should a model for other clubs to emmulate. I have met many fine folks from THSS... but some seem to lacked a good southern upbringing.

Gentlemen, may I remind you that we're ALL representatives of SASS and our respective clubs?

This week back to Michigan and matchs were, how fast can you cycle your guns at 5 yd pistol and 12yd rifle. I the big question as how much blood will I loose. Trying to have fun with all matches I enter and make the best of it. Speed deamons come to MI and shoot with the likes of Duce Stevens, Colt Mcallister, Three Gun cole, Doc Noper, Two Rig A Tony, and more.

Lucky Lennie

Lennie, does this mean you won't be showing up at these terrible matches in MI. I don't know if we could stand it if we didn't have to listen to the constant wailing on how they "do it in Texas". We will continue to run em big and close so bring lots of blood.

Howdy Phantom,

don't know if it was anyone at (this club) or one of the shooters, but being one of the marshalls I would have told the person to apolize or leave,Rattlesnake is a great kid and if whoever said that is because he out shot them.We need young shooter to carry on the sport.You should have been there it was a lot of fun.we had a gatlering (sorry can't spell) gun to shoot and the banquet was fun.

cobra

I would love to shoot there someday...always have said so. I've heard wonderful things about your range.

But I'm pretty stuck in my ways regarding match design...making it enjoyable for inexperienced shooters...not designing matches with the idea that you're going to make participants better shooters.

I hope that someday I'll be able to shoot at THSS.

Glad y'all had fun. Hope next year is successful for you folks.

Phantom (Whining Liberal ex-Californian that some wish would leave Texas)

:FlagAm:

Deuce, I am with you and Phantom. It really makes me sad though, to hear when someone goes to a match and doesnt have fun because it was so easy to shoot a clean match. All this time I thought it was fun to shoot a little faster and clean rather than slow and have a bunch of misses and P's. I guess I should re-evaluate the way I write stages and set targets.

NO GUNSLINGER DON'T DO THAT!!!

The stages that Gunslinger writes are fun, fast and challenging. Perfect formula for a successful cowboy match. There are some big and close and some you have to slow down a bit. I don't mind shooting something that's out there a bit but I sure don't want the whole thing that way. I guess us guys and girls that are so called gamers or speed demons challenge ourselves in a different way. The fact is that's the direction this sport has moved in for what I consider Mainstream shooters. That's why EOT, Winter Range and the SW Regional is set up the way it is. I personally like the rush I get when I shoot a stage fast with movement and hit all my targets and every gun just flows together. It's an awesome feeling!

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion but when they ask "why is attendance down and what can we do to get more shooters" well the answer is pretty much in the formula and example of the other successful matches in the country. If you don't want to change then you best get ok with mediocrity. Because that's what your going to get these days. This ain't rocket science and it doesn't take an expert in marketing and promotion to figure that out.

Ok I said my peace

Colt

I thought I read somewhere, before the match, that some of the targets were gonna be bigger and had been moved in some? Did that happen?

What size and distance were the targets?

It sounds like scenarios flowed better?

Possum

I thought I read somewhere, before the match, that some of the targets were gonna be bigger and had been moved in some? Did that happen?

What size and distance were the targets?

It sounds like scenarios flowed better?

Possum

Hey Possum,

I'm a horrible judge of distance. The pistol targets were not bad, not what most other clubs do but fair size. Most of the rifle targets were from 45-70 yards I think. Some were good size some like the Oxy cylinders are tall but not very wide. The scenarios were very simple only a couple had minor P traps to watch for. To me you should always shoot the gun where it is staged and left where it is shot. Gets rid of the P factor. JMHO.

From the SASS rule book.

Targets are set at close to medium range. There are no absolute rules, but we suggest

the following distances, by firearm, if using a target approximately 16" X 16":

Revolver – 7 to 10 yards Shotgun – 8 to 16 yards Rifle – 13 to 50 yards.

So you can see there are no rules just a suggestion FOR A 16"x16" TARGET

Myself I really don't care where the targets are. If I slow down I can hit them. I hit both of the 4" bonus rifle targets. It's what the other CUSTOMERS want. Taking a vote at a match doesn't do much good. It's the ones that are not there to vote since they already voted with their FEET.

Take care Pard

Wyandot

:lol::lol::lol: I voted!!!! Gunslinger don't change a thing, you know I like 'em even closer and bigger but, I appreciate your scenarios and LOVE the range....won't miss Oakwood, only been to THSS once and once was enough! JMHO Deuce, would love to shoot up there with you someday, can I stay at your house? :) And I don't know what others tell you but, the way we do it in MY part of Texas is close and big. Have you heard about the 3' x 3' pistol targets at Fort Parker? Don't lean over the firing line you might scrape 'em! But you sure as heck can miss 'em! Granted Justin and I shoot at many clubs and they are not all close but, we don't shoot at clubs that have Aiming as their #1 priority :lol::lol::lol: Not for Justin, he can shoot anything, but NANA is old!!!!! I AM one of those middle of the pack shooters and I like to go fast and hit, aiming is over rated. AND you know, if NANA aint happy we don't shoot!

Talking trash about Rattlesnake in some parts of Texas might get your head thumped. The "person" that bad talked that youngun best understand that he's got a whole lot of adopted daddy's, grandpa's and mom's and grandma's around these parts. I may be old and slow when I shoot, but messing with the "kid" just ain't a safe thing to so in my presence. (Unless I'm the one messing with him) :ph34r:

Lennie, does this mean you won't be showing up at these terrible matches in MI. I don't know if we could stand it if we didn't have to listen to the constant wailing on how they "do it in Texas". We will continue to run em big and close so bring lots of blood.

Hell Deuce Rattlesnake and I may just come up there and shoot with y'all this summer! Sounds like we would love your kind of matches!

Colt

Archived