SASS Wire Forum

How did you get started?

Cash Creak

Morning,

I'm a newbie.Hope to get my guns next week, they are on order !! Cant wait.My job involves guns, so when I learned about the Old West Cowboy Action Shooting, I really wanted to try it.I live on the East Coast and there are not many clubs in Maryland !!! I will have to do some traveling to get to some matches !! Wish me luck !!

Cowgirl Ross

Welcome Cowgirlfriend!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spring 2006, went to a gun show & met some cowboys talking about SASS, hada pair of SA 44-40's & SxS 12. They invited me to come to an event w/my guns. I went & someone loaned me a rifle, cold & windy but I had a blast. I bought a lever 44-40 and returned. Did that for over a year then shot in a larger event. One of the cowboys said why not join SASS so I did - haven't been the same since.

I was in Dixie Gun Works the summer of 2009 (i think). I didn't buy much just one of their catalogs. The Cover had a picture of the Judge on it and the inside cover was a story about SASS. Well I went on line when I got home to North Carolina and found the wire. I was so exited that I went ahead and joined up. I read every post I could then I contacted one of our local clubs and went to visit.

That was it. I started buying guns and clothes and took 1st place at my very first match. (I was the only senior Shooting)

Watched my first match in December of 1999. A Stoeger SXS showed up under the Christmas Tree.

Shot my first match in March of 2000, February was way to cold and January was hunting Season.

Still shooting the same Stoeger SXS, but have changed rifles and revolvers a bunch of times.

I remember sometime in the mid-80's while on a family vacation, there was an issue of Guns magazine with a picture of a Winchester on the cover, I think it was a 71, so I bought it.

Inside, there was an article about something called, "End of the Trail Shooting." It intrigued me, and I really wanted to try it. About 20 years later, I finally did. My first shoot consisted of my Dad's .45 Colt, a Rossi 92 in .44 Special, and an 1920's vintage Winchester 97. I borrowed another shooter's Ruger .38 for a second pistol at the shoot.

Since then, I have gotten a lot more guns that are useful in this sport. 1st addition was an Uberti '58 Remmington with a Krist converstion to run .38 S&W's through it. After that, I can't keep track of all I've picked up!

Grew up playing cowboys/Indians - always enjoyed the old west. Worked in the airline business and played golf with large group that flew all over the US playing golf (flying was free). Job got outsourced and my golf crew kind of dispersed all over the country so started looking for a new diversion. I had run across information on cowboy action shooting at some point in time and filed it away - so got on the Interent and found their were a couple of local NC clubs. Somewhere around 2002, I just showed up at a monthly match at Old North State Posse and hung around for 2 or 3 months asking questions (Royal Barnes probably got tired of seeing me coming) - they put me to work shagging brass and setting targets while trying to convince me to get started. Finally started rounding up equipment and it has been one of the more fun hobbies in which I have ever participated. Still enjoy the people and continue to learn and try new parts of cowboy action shooting.

Archived