SASS Wire Forum

How did you get started?

Cash Creak

My old friend Crooked River Pete dropped by the house one day back around the turn of the century (2000, not 1900). By old friend I mean it - we grew up in the same neighborhood and have known each other for about 50 years now.

He gets to telling me about this great shooting sport he discovered. Went to a match that weekend, and the bug bit hard.

My wallet's empty and my gunsafe is full, and I don't regret a thing. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been hunting and grew up around guns since I was a pup. Always loved Cowboys and anything to do with the old west. Visited Texas 5 years ago and the Alamo, bought a replica SA revolver for show. In the spring of 2009 I was playing on the net, googling cowboy stuff and tripped over SASS. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, grown men and women dressing up and actually shooting real cowboy guns!!! On my 50th birthday in September 2009 I got a SxS Stoeger, Christmas I bought a Rossi 92, introduced a friend to what I had discovered he bought a pair of Uberti Outlaws and we shot our 1st match in June of 2010 sharing the riggin. Now We have started our own club and as of May will be shooting a monthly match right here locally.

YeeeHaaaaw! :lol:

I've always shot lever actions and single actions, never for speed, nor the varieties offered by CAS. Read an article in a magazine about CAS, checked out the SASS website and found several clubs in my area. So one weekend we decided to see what it was all about, even brought along my firearms just in case. Well to make a long story short, the club wasn't to friendly, even though I went to talk to several shooters about CAS, answers were short, one even said he was getting himself prepared for the match and couldn't be bothered. We walked away, it was 2 years later, and the bug was biting me, so we went to another club, and lo and behold, shooters came out oif the woodwork to be friendly, helpful, and good advise. Next month I started shooting, and couldn't have had a better teacher, High Ransom took me in hand at each stage, and saw me through the match. Been addicted ever since. MT

About 5 years ago wife and I were driving down County Road 114 in Red River County Texas .And there it was the BAR 3 ,wife says there is the cowboy shoot I was telling you about .I had tried SASS in 1999 did not have the money or time now I was retired and was going to give it another try.

Have been shooting there for about 5 years ,we even bought a small home in Clarksville,We have shot at other clubs and realy enjoy it.We had plained on getting a RV and going to other big matches did not happen gas is just too high.

LOVE SASS AND YOUALLL

JOE BOY

Boys and I were at a bird hunt, friend of mine saw my son using my old rusky sxs said we should come out to the cowboy shoot. So we did. :D

Hi Folks,

Hubby had been shooting for many years. I was going to school. During the High Sierra match, a friend and his wife (she didn't shoot) talked us into staying at the Hotel Leger in Mokelumne Hill during the match. One night, we went out and played cards at the Gouge Eye Saloon at the range. I thought the costumes were cool. However, at that time, I enjoyed spending the days in the antique stores in Jackson and Sutter Creek more. Also, working, snow skiing, and studying kept me pretty busy during the fall, winter, and spring.

I graduated from school in December and shot my first match in May 1999. I had so much fun. After my first annual (third match), I decided we needed an RV. We got that in August. We shot four to five matches a month for years also attended 5-7 annuals a year until 2005.

I don't shoot that much any more as Hubby no longer shoots. Although I'm not shooting as much, I do try to go new places. In 2006, I shot Klammath Falls and EOT. In 2007, I shot El Dorado. In 2008, I shot the BP night shoot at Chorro Valley and Last Stand at Chimney Rock. In 2009, I shot the Oregon State match and Last Stand at Chimney Rock. In 2010, I shot with Lakewood Marshals and the US Open in Illinois. This year, I plan to shoot Battle of Rogue River in Oregon.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Walked into a Gun Show in Denver. There was this Stage Coach and TV hooked up to a VCR (you do remember VCRs dontcha??) and big fella dressed funny (Easy Money). Talked a few minutes and went to the next match at The Sand Creek Raiders. The rest is history. I'm a lot poorer now, but man is this ever FUN!!

Coffinmaker

One day at work I came into my shop and found a vendor looking over my American Handgunner Magazine, while sitting at my desk. He asked me what kind of shooting I was doing. I told him and he told me that he was shooting cowboy action. I was invited to his next match. I carried my then 11 year old son and we liked it. The next month I shot my first match. I sold one 1911 and bought 2 Ruger Blackhawks and a Stoeger Shotgun. I later purchased a Marlin rifle. That was 11 years ago and I still like it. I'm a lot poorer also.

Later,

Daybreaker

I had shot various disciplines over the years and also done Rev War reenacting for about 8 years. I read an article in a gun magazine about CAS back in 1996, went on the internet and found a club close to home. I went to watch and happened to look up before the match started and saw Carolina Kid, Bull Durham, Marshal Harland Wolf, Oklahoma Charlie and Sliphammer walking toward me. They looked like they were walking down the street in an old west town. I thought, "I can do this!". Then they walked up, welcomed me and explained the basics of the game. Bought my first cowboy clothes that day from a vendor then went home and started selling off and trading modern guns for some from the old west. My wallet has been getting flatter ever since. :)

Years ago they had roy bean matches at Ft Bliss Texas. At the time all it took was 1 Single Action Revolver, 1 Lever action, and the side by side. I had 2 adjustable sight ruger 44 mags, but wanted to shoot traditional. Back then modern was adjustable sights, all else was traditional. Think the Vaquero and the 92 puma 44 mag were $340 each. The Baikal SxS bounty hunter was $299. Shot a few matches, could not compete with the Schofields on 5 round reloads. After a few matches the High Power Club I was shooting with built a 2,3 and 6 hundred yard KD range. Stated shooting across the course vs reduced range high power matches. Trouble was the matches were held on the Roy Bean weekend. Was a more competitive shooting HP than Roy Bean. Shot HP matches. Fast forward about 18 years. Decided it was time to try SASS matches. Game had changed, needed 2 pistols. Put up half the cost with Bday money, brother kicked in the other half and got a second 7.5 inch vaquero. Silly me did not notice it was not blued. Sure looked like it agaist the background in the picture.

No one has thrown me out of a match for the mismatched pistolas. Still not competitive, can no longer blame it on schofield gamers. Lack of practice and not slicking up shotgun are two biggest problems.

Spend a lot more time helping to set up matches than shooting - at least helping out you never see your name in the bottom 3 especially since most lists are alphabetical by alias. Captain, always comes before Deputy or Kid.

While hanging out at the gun shop met a GOOD Pard Sassafrass Kid. We would talk about riding motorcycles for hours on. I knew he did cowboy action shooting, but never talked about it much? Then one day he said i should come and watch a match. Well like every one else once i seen what was going on "I WAS HOOKED" It's been the most fun i have ever had. Even better now because Lady Cheyenne is shootin with me.

It don't get any better than hanging with all are Cowboy & Cowgirl Friends

Well, I've shot paper off and on since early 80's. More off than on.

Dads been shootin since he was a kid and shootin CAS for about 8-10 years now. Mom even got into it a few years back. I am happy that after trying everything else over all these years, they finaly found something they both can enjoy. :wub:

As for me. I asked dad what he was doing for fathers day a couple years ago. He said there is a local shoot here at Snoqualmie. I said I'd like to come watch again. He said "to hell with watchin, ya got the gear, come shoot with us." I said, ok :) . He then gave me the low down on the rules and some of the pointers he has given many others over the years.

I went with them and the first stage had pistol knock downs that could be made up with the shotgun. After the instructions were done, I put up my hand and said I had never shot a shotgun before, let alone from the hip. They obliged and said come on up and give it a try. I put two in dads double closed it and fired away. Low and behold they both fell. Lots of cheers and hollars, then it came out "No more practice for you". ;)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'd been shooting a lot of military pistol and rifle matches around the midwest.

My Pard, Badlands Bob of ND (around 1999), had been telling me about SASS and offered me a real sweet deal on a Puma M-1892 in .44M.

Since I've always liked the Old West and shooting, I was hooked.

I already had a pair of .44 Super Blackhawks, that a customer ordered, but never came by and paid for.

So I made up a pair of crude leather holsters.

I already had a work hat and boots.

I bought a Stoeger 12 ga SXS.

We kinda went all out since then.

Mustang Gregg, TG

Was stationed at Ft Sill in Oklahoma a few years ago, a friend ahad told me about CAS and SASS. He had read about in a magazine. I went to the closest club on the web site, the Shortgrass Rangers. Best bunch of folks you can find. Went to watch and was handed more guns and handshakes and smiles than I knew what to do with. That was the start. Shot on a Saturday and then couple of weeks later on a Sunday, did that for about 7 mos then moved to Texas. Now shoot almost every weeekned....

I went to observe a local match about a dozen or more years back, asked a bunch of questions, many of them pretty DUMB in hindsight, then showed up at the next match with two 4 5/8" .45 Blackhawks, one blue and one stainless, a stainless 24" .45 Rossi Puma 1892, and a 12g Rossi Overland hammer coach gun. There weren't a lot of shooters, maybe 25, but I finished 9th overall! :)

My wife and I used to play golf together a couple of times a week. When I had to give up golf due to my back, we started shooting a lot more. I joined a club that had a 1,000 yard range so we could shoot precision rifles. After joining, we started checking out the different competitions that the club offered. One was CAS, which we kind of joked about. We ended up attending a match just to see what it was all about, and the people were very welcoming and it looked like a lot of fun. I did a lot of research and started buying guns and putting together an outfit. I shot my first match a few months ago and was immediately hooked.

Luckily, my wife has really gotten into it too. I know that she only tried it because I wanted to do it, but she is hooked now. We are looking for more clubs to shoot at so that we can shoot more than twice a month.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

It was after I moved to SLO. I saw a magazine about cowboy guns (GOTOW) that caught my interest back in 98. Later I was driving by the local range and saw a sign announcing "John Wayne Annual" and so I stopped and chatted with a couple of CVR members. I still didnt get involved until 2006 when my non shooting wife made the comment to 'either shoot my guns or get rid of them'. Soon after that I bought a Ruger NMV and joined SASS. Then I ran into an old 4x4 buddy who saw my SASS sticker and gave me the lowdown on when and where CVR had their matches. I have been playing every since.

One afternoon, a co-worker said he was going "cowboy shooting" on that Sunday. I asked him why he wanted to shoot cowboys? He told me what it was, and I went and watched. That was the last shoot of the year. I got some stuff over the winter and was shooting at the first match of the next year. After watching me for 5 years, the wife started shootin', too.

I read about it in a gun magazine sometime in the late 80's. Then I finally found a club near where I lived in Texas in the mid-90's.

And we're all the more knowledgeable because of it!

I also read about it in the early '80s, then one weekday while I was qualifying I wandered over to the rifle range to to sling some lead outta my huntin' rifle and there was a fellar wearin' an EOT t-shirt. He gave me directions and an invite. So if you're inclined to place blame, blame Hank!

Got Rid of my EX-WIFE.

Rev

Started pulling triggers in Fall 2005.

Winter 2006, went shopping for a new wheelgun.

Spotted the cowboy guns, and the shopkeep noticed the twinkle in my eye. Took all of them out, and showed me how they worked.

I settled on a Ruger New Vaquero.

Shopkeep told me to check out the SASS website.

As I left, shopkeep said he looked forward to seeing me again in about 3 months time.

3 months later I picked up my 2nd Ruger, and found a local club.

My Old Man had some old SASS legal Winchesters, that I used, and still use today.

SASS puts a BIG grin on my face, as well as my Father's since he see's me having as much fun with his old toys as he did.

Well in the regular way I reckon, a guy meet this girl and took a fancy to to her, got married and I came along nine months later. O you mean in shooting cowboy action, saw an ad in guns of the old west and new then I had to do this no matter how far I had to go, no matter how much it cost, I was gonna do it. Was brought up in the sixty's during the golden age of TV cowboys, my uncle gave me my first Winchester when I was 3 years old, in other words I was born to be a cowboy till the day I die. See ya on the trail NOOSE

Say when. Since I was very young, the guns have been real...and the horses weren't fake either. :D That sleepy looking horse was wicked fast.

As far as CAS, in November 2004, my Lions club had a couple, Two Ponies and Two Ponies Gal, speak about CAS. I followed them out to their vehicle, handled their guns and haven't been the same since. The smell of gunsmoke has a certain allure addiction for me.

To answer the question, "How did you get started?", I must say slowly and poorly equipped.

As to WHY, I read about it in one of the NRA magazines and it sounded like something I would like to try. Little did I know I could have paid college tuition for what I've spent to become better equipped. Now If I could just get a little FASTER!!

That's mah story and I'm stickin' with it!

SOso

Back in the day I was a bird hunter. I was and still am a deer hunter. I had never been a competitive shooter (some say I still not competitive) and I had owned one pistol in my life (an old Glock that was new then.) I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the Glock so I traded it for a quail gun. Fast forward 15-20 years and I found myself watching a segment of either Shooting USA or Shooting Gallery (I don't remember which) and I thought that looks like fun. Then I saw another episode on TV (the other show or Cowboys) and thought, I want to try that. I told my wife I was going to give that sport a fling for a year. I spent a whole winter dreaming about cowboy shooting. The next March I was ready to go to my first shoot, but the weather went bad and I had to wait a month. I went to a Rocky Branch Rangers shoot in Higginsville, MO and completed falling in love. I haven't looked back.

Because I didn't take wise advice before I shot my first match I had joined SASS, bought my Ruger NMVs, EMF Hartford (all new and in 45) a used Baikal, and some beginner leather. Over the last couple of years I have acquired a complete new set of guns in 357/38 and a couple of additional shotguns.

People tell me I was foolish for buying 45, but I always wanted to shoot 45s dressed up like a cowboy. Love of the game came later. The thing that has kept me shooting is love of the people. I haven't shot with anyone I didn't enjoy. Hopefully they say the same about me.

Dec 05-Saw a show on the tube about CAS.

Went online and found the sass site. Called Midnight Cowboy with Cutter's Raiders and they were shooting that Sat.

Put together my Rossi 92, picked up a couple of Charles daily pistols and my double 20 ga.

My first shoot....the Rossi stovepiped, the Daly's broke and the double kicked like a mule.

Now some 8 or 9 sets of Rugers, Shotguns and Rifles.....I'm still lovin this sport.

I have met some of nicest people who have become very good friends.....and if wealth is measured in friends then I'm truly the richest man on earth.

Saw a CAS segment on " Shooting USA ", and ain't been right since. GREAT sport, FANTASTIC people. Yours. Nota John

Me too!! :D

same here...looked like fun...I was tired of travelling around Texas, oklahoma, Lousiana, and New Mexico racing motorcycles and breaking bones and Doctor bills when I could not heal myself. spending more money now but havent broken any bones since. Wife is happy that maybe I won't break my neck.

Saw a CAS segment on " Shooting USA ", and ain't been right since. GREAT sport, FANTASTIC people. Yours. Nota John

same here...looked like fun...I was tired of travelling around Texas, oklahoma, Lousiana, and New Mexico racing motorcycles and breaking bones and Doctor bills when I could not heal myself. spending more money now but havent broken any bones since. Wife is happy that maybe I won't break my neck.

:lol:

Well, mine and Whiskey Creek's best buddy's dad built a range(Possum Trot) and 2 years later, he let us know about it. He said that he knew it would cost us a small fortune so he waited to tell us.Well, he was right! We went to visit and every cowboy there were shoving their guns at us. Well, I never did much shooting and certainly not with those kind of guns so Of course, I had to try them. And fell in love with it! Then our daughter(Tn. Triple B) and our son-in-law(Tall Drink A. Water) had to start also. So it's a great family thing with some of the best people that you'll ever meet!

Howdy, Pards,

I've been shooting since I was about 12 years old. (Back then, in a Chicago suburb, the village police had NRA .22rf classes...in a school gymnasium, no less! Got interested in the history of the Old West, and shot a bunch of old guns.

About 1990, I joined the Ben Lomond Gun Club, when they were still shooting out of a gravel pit in Palmer Lake, Colorado. That's when I met an hombre duro named Cathouse Bill Blattler. He started cowboy action shooting at the club, then introduced CAS to a number of clubs along the Front Range of Colorado. He was segundo (Match Director) of the Colorado Shaketail Shooters for many years. Sadly, Bill "rode over the Divide" a week or so ago. -_-

Godspeed, Pard! Thanks for showing us the trail to Cowboy Action Shooting and your friendship.

Your saddened Pard,

I watched iot on the Outdoor channel a few times and thought it would be fun to watch live. I searched the internet to see if there was a shoot within driving distance and found it was 7 miles from my house. The wife and I went to watch. The first person to approach us was Ben T. Iron. We was completly decked out in cowboy gear and was kind enough to explain what it was all about. We started to wander around again and Buck D. Law aproached us and introduced himself and asked if we had any questions. He said the best advice he could give us was to go back to the parking lot, get in the car and leave. He warned us if we stayed we would become addicted. We stayed and met Uncle Frank and Granna who told us about the rimfire cowboy shoot at the same range, so I said that would be great since I had everything I needed to shoot the rimfire shoot I could see if it was something I liked before investing in everything I needed for CAS. That was July 4th. By labor day weekend I had shot 3 rimfire shoots and found a great deal on a pait of pistols. Uncle Frank loaned me a rifle and I already had a Stevens 5001 (311). Been hooked every since.

Morning,

I'm a newbie.Hope to get my guns next week, they are on order !! Cant wait.My job involves guns, so when I learned about the Old West Cowboy Action Shooting, I really wanted to try it.I live on the East Coast and there are not many clubs in Maryland !!! I will have to do some traveling to get to some matches !! Wish me luck !!

Cowgirl Ross

Archived