SASS Wire Forum

97 for newbie

evil dogooder

Ok I'm at the gun store and they just put out an original 97 Winchester but I'm a newbie so I don't know if the price is good. They are asking $380.00. One month promise on it will go bang from a national chain. In 12

Any help much appreciated I've shot these before and love them just don't want to get burned

Evil

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Depends on condition... all original parts... finish... etc.

I have paid as much as $500 for an original in mint (with a serial # less than one mil.). I have paid $350 for a fair piece.

Hope this helps.

BTW... what is a dog ooder?

ts

Cycle it slowly and see how it feels. If it is okay, cycle it quickly and see how it feels.

Does it cock and stay cocked both fast and slow?

I'm not real current on prices, but that should a fair deal from what I recall.

I have paid as much as $500 for an original in mint (with a serial # less than one mil.). I have paid $350 for a fair piece.

Hope this helps.

ts

Serial # 359537

Do good er someone who does good.... give me a break I'm from a generation that doesn't. Spell well

Evil

Hope this helps.

ts

A dog ooder can be found on a female with pups. Several of them actually. ;)

Talked them down to $300. One year on ftee repair.... bore is mirror smooth... thanks for all the help. Think I'll pull the trigger on this one.

Except Tennessee.... now I need to find a new alias

Evil

Ok I'm at the gun store and they just put out an original 97 Winchester but I'm a newbie so I don't know if the price is good. They are asking $380.00. One month promise on it will go bang from a national chain. In 12

Any help much appreciated I've shot these before and love them just don't want to get burned

Evil

Evil

OOPS:

Hola Evil:

Your 97 was manufactured in 1908.

Price is right.

Lester

Well Tennessee looks like I'm am going to have to find a way to get to a match where you are so I can heckle you while you miss oops I'm ment while you shoot

Evil

Update

Got it home action is silky smooth. Handles like a dream. Tube is 26" most of finish is gone but stocks are immaculate.

I think both the dealer and I came away happy. he was happy to have interest in it, so happy in fact I received a good discount on a case of feather lites and a camouflaged zippered gun case for free. All in all a good day.

A good start on my cowboy guns

A good deal

A wife that didn't mind me buying it

Someone to antagonize ( Tennessee )

And a good price on ammo

Thanks all for the help.

Oh two questions

Is it being made in 1908 a good thing?

Did I get the right ammo. I'm going to shoot my first match with borrowed guns and as I want to show I'm greatfull for the courtesy I want to bring as much ammo as I can to repay.

So far two boxes 45 factory cowboy. With an additional fifty rounds once fired brass.

Two boxes 38 special with additional one hundred rounds once fired brass

Case of feather lites.

Is there anything else I should bring?

Evil

The year doesn't generally mean too much. The heat treating varied through out the years. Some of the early ones were as well or better made than later ones. Generally the best are considered in the late 40's and early 50's. But you got a good deal.

And the ammo is just right.

Update

Got it home action is silky smooth. Handles like a dream. Tube is 26" most of finish is gone but stocks are immaculate.

I think both the dealer and I came away happy. he was happy to have interest in it, so happy in fact I received a good discount on a case of feather lites and a camouflaged zippered gun case for free. All in all a good day.

A good start on my cowboy guns

A good deal

A wife that didn't mind me buying it

Sounds like a good deal

Someone to antagonize ( Tennessee )

Doesn't sound like a good idea

And a good price on ammo

Thanks all for the help.

Oh two questions

Is it being made in 1908 a good thing?

Did I get the right ammo. I'm going to shoot my first match with borrowed guns and as I want to show I'm greatfull for the courtesy I want to bring as much ammo as I can to repay.

So far two boxes 45 factory cowboy. With an additional fifty rounds once fired brass.

Two boxes 38 special with additional one hundred rounds once fired brass

Case of feather lites.

Is there anything else I should bring?

A willingness to learn and a sense of humor

Evil

Therer are many folks here who know the 97 (I don;t)

but OUTLAW GAMBLER lives by these gun - sells 'em too. Might want to PM or call him.

http://www.classicoldwestarms.com/shotguns.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You stole that gun. Haven't seen many originals that cheap lately. Before cowboys got the price way up they were going begging for 150-175.

If ye are gonna hang around here ye will have to develop some thicker skin. The Stud needles everybody (kinda like Monte Walsh) so don't go feelin' special or get your feelings hurt.

Evil, I like your name... and I got it on the first try.

I'd keep it. ^_^

+1, good price on the 97.

My Dad goes to auctions all the time back home in Illinois and he has been complaining about the price of these guns and SxS shotguns.

I told him we were to blame. lol

You stole that gun. Haven't seen many originals that cheap lately. Before cowboys got the price way up they were going begging for 150-175.

If ye are gonna hang around here ye will have to develop some thicker skin. The Stud needles everybody (kinda like Monte Walsh) so don't go feelin' special or get your feelings hurt.

Not to worry I had a big brother I can take anything dished out. Lol I just don't want to offend anyone.

Seems to me that one who does good should be called a good doer.

But what do I know? :lol:

Talked them down to $300. One year on ftee repair.... bore is mirror smooth... thanks for all the help. Think I'll pull the trigger on this one.

Except Tennessee.... now I need to find a new alias

Evil

You couldn't do gooder than that price - you got a good deal on that one.

I wish I could do gooder with my gun purchases!

If that is a factory 26" with a solid frame and short mag tube, it could be an original "brush gun". They are rare and valuable

How long is a short mag tube? How many rounds would it hold?

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Well Tennessee looks like I'm am going to have to find a way to get to a match where you are so I can heckle you while you miss oops I'm ment while you shoot

Evil

Your a good sport there... Pard. Just hackin' on ya a lil'.

This comin' from a guy who answers to... Stub... Puds... Spud... Duds... Tubs... and...

From that beautimus object of great affection round'chere... Rocky Meadows Muffin....

the Tennessee Gray Gelding

For three hunnert... you got a fine deal.

EDIT: And keep yore alias, if ya want to. The name "Evil"... as in Evil Roy... represents some big shoes to fill for ya... but it ain't a bad moniker. Evil Roy has inspired us all.

ts

Your a good sport there... Pard. Just hackin' on ya a lil'.

This comin' from a guy who answers to... Stub... Puds... Spud... Duds... Tubs... and...

From that beautimus object of great affection round'chere... Rocky Meadows Muffin....

the Tennessee Gray Gelding

For three hunnert... you got a fine deal.

EDIT: And keep yore alias, if ya want to. The name "Evil"... as in Evil Roy... represents some big shoes to fill for ya... but it ain't a bad moniker. Evil Roy has inspired us all.

ts

Ya know there is a good movie quote about hacking an a guy too much.....

Besides ts sounds so much like BS if ya catch my drift.

Shot the new toy more today. Sweet gun but I need to get a shorter stock for it. A little too long for me.

Can't wait till my first shoot. Only three weeks away

Evil

Anyway hackin is all in fun.

Evil (wife says I'm evil because I love pranks)

Dogooder ( because I'm such an innocent little angel)

I'm not changing my alias. It suits me just fine. Besides one of my job's is working in a swine facility. Compaired to that dog ooder isn't too bad

Evil

Archived