SASS Wire Forum

New barrel

Dorado

It's been a while since I've last posted and just thought I'd say Howdy before I start asking questions. So, Howdy! Ok, and now for the questions.

My grandfather just gave me his 1943 M1911a1 I've taken it apart, cleaned and inspected everything and I cannot find anything wrong but I'd like to replace the barrel and use it for Wild Bunch if I can. I was wondering where I could find a barrel that doesn't require a gunsmith to install. I don't trust the ones around here and I don't know how to fit a barrel. Can y'all help me?

Just go to Google and type in 1911 barrels and a bunch will come up. What you want is a "drop-in" barrel. Most of the time they do just "drop-in." Once in a while you might need to have the barrel fitted.

There ain't no "drop-in" barrels Larsen, once in a while you might get lucky and it goes in, shoots and functions but it ain't RIGHT. There's about fifteen different areas that need to be checked for fit to the frame, slide, slide stop and such. Unless there's something wrong with the barrel that prevents shooting (sewer pipe with no rifling, bulged) PLEASE don't mess up that fine old collector gun. You know them WWII 1911's are going for almost 2,000.

There ain't no "drop-in" barrels Larsen, once in a while you might get lucky and it goes in, shoots and functions but it ain't RIGHT. There's about fifteen different areas that need to be checked for fit to the frame, slide, slide stop and such. Unless there's something wrong with the barrel that prevents shooting (sewer pipe with no rifling, bulged) PLEASE don't mess up that fine old collector gun. You know them WWII 1911's are going for almost 2,000.

He didn't say he is building a bullseye gun. There are lots of mil spec drop in barrels that will function and shoot just fine.

I have "assisted" on barrel swaps on two WW2 era 1911s where we swapped the barrel from my mil-spec RIA into them just to see if it works, and it did function fine.

I would keep the original barrel, DON'T let it get away if you do swap it out.

I am NOT a gunsmith and make no pretensions of being one, but I did stay at a Motel 6 once...

PLEASE don't mess up that fine old collector gun. You know them WWII 1911's are going for almost 2,000.

Or more. Ones made by Union Switch & Signal are pushing $3,800 and up.

I'd have it appraised before doing anything else.

It's been a while since I've last posted and just thought I'd say Howdy before I start asking questions. So, Howdy! Ok, and now for the questions.

My grandfather just gave me his 1943 M1911a1 I've taken it apart, cleaned and inspected everything and I cannot find anything wrong but I'd like to replace the barrel and use it for Wild Bunch if I can. I was wondering where I could find a barrel that doesn't require a gunsmith to install. I don't trust the ones around here and I don't know how to fit a barrel. Can y'all help me?

Oh.... Sorry. I misunderstood. :blush:

Aunt Jen

The gun is in great shape and fully functional but I'd still like to be able to shoot it. I'd rather not mess up the original barrel and I didn't know if there was any major differences between mine and the new gov't models.

I've been looking at a Colt Semi-drop in barrel for about $100 and I didn't know if it required a lot of gunsmithing or if it'd be something I could do myself. I've already had trouble getting my carry pistol back from one of them and the others look to be about the same as the first. I don't want to leave it with one of them just to watch them "lose" it.

I guess you're right on that Bill, I'll give it a try and see what happens. But at the same time I'd still like to shoot it with full power jacketed rounds when I'm not out being a cowboy.

I like to use some of my original 1911 & 1911A1 for wild bunch. If you use the original barrel they are pitted from old corrosive primers and lead up pretty bad. I have an extra plain barrel that I have droped into several without any problems. Go ahead and shoot the old ones. They are collectable but I will let my grandkids worry about that. Have fun and appreciate their history.

Archived