SASS Wire Forum

1873 uberti extractor issue

goettagun

I recently bought a 1873 Uberti from Taylor and co and have been having problems with extraction. I believe the culprit is the extractor as its loose in the bolt (vertical play); a quick conversation with a gunsmith at Taylor and Co seems to agree with the diagnosis. Recommendations were to pull the bolt and send it back for repair or replacement so to not have to ship the rifle back. A quick bit of work has the side plates off, the toggle assy's out, the dust cover slid back to the bearing catch, and the pin holding the bolt together pressed out of its hole. The fun has stopped as short of removing the trigger group and hammer I can't figure out how to remove the bolt from the frame. The rear portion of the bolt / firing pin won't clear the back wall of the frame (due to the hammer being in the way) thus not allowing me to drop the bolt.

Any suggestions? There is precious little info online on how to proceed

thanks

You have to take the little screw out of the front of the dust cover and slide the cover retractor forward out from under the front of the cover and out of the receiver. Then you should be able to pull the firing pin extension back out of the bolt. Looking at your list, I don't see that you removed the lever. You have to remove it to get clearance to drop the bolt. The bolt can then be slid to the rear and angled down to come out of the receiver. If you have to remove the trigger group, no big deal. Just remove the two screws and slide it down a little.

Remove the stock and then remove the 2 screws that hold the trigger and hammer tang in place. Remove the bottom tag along with the hammer and trigger. Then pull the firing pin extension pin all the way out. If you have not removed the little screw on top of the hood do it now and slide the hood back just a little and remove the part the screw goes it. If you slide the hood back too far a little spring and ball may get away from you. Then the bolt will come out.

Hope this helps,

Daybreaker

larson is right.........take the dust cover retractor out....the extractor is designed to catch that and retract it if you choose to keep the cover closed........there is a little steel ball bearing that is easily lost so be careful.......I usually slide the screw hole of the cover just over it.....It keeps the bearing caught in the hole...

If you are going to go to all the trouble of tearing the gun down that far, why not just replace the extractor yourself?......It's not that difficult, especially if you have the old one to measure off of....

CW

You have to take the little screw out of the front of the dust cover and slide the cover retractor forward out from under the front of the cover and out of the receiver.

Done

Then you should be able to pull the firing pin extension back out of the bolt.

The firing pin extension is loose from the bolt but not removed from the frame due to the hammer restricting its motion towards the stock (see image) Pulling the hammer back to beyond full cock does not allow it to pass out the back of the frame. Approximately .25" of it is still inside the opening in the frame preventing me from pulling the bolt all the way back and angled out of the frame.

Looking at your list, I don't see that you removed the lever. You have to remove it to get clearance to drop the bolt.

Just removed

The bolt can then be slid to the rear and angled down to come out of the receiver.

If you have to remove the trigger group, no big deal. Just remove the two screws and slide it down a little.

I took the screws out of the frame near the trigger group but it doesn't appear to be able to be moved. Per the parts diagram it looks like I have to remove the stock to gain access to the pivot in order to move it.

Thanks for the help BTW

You have to take the little screw out of the front of the dust cover and slide the cover retractor forward out from under the front of the cover and out of the receiver.

Done

Then you should be able to pull the firing pin extension back out of the bolt.

The firing pin extension is loose from the bolt but not removed from the frame due to the hammer restricting its motion towards the stock (see image) Pulling the hammer back to beyond full cock does not allow it to pass out the back of the frame. Approximately .25" of it is still inside the opening in the frame preventing me from pulling the bolt all the way back and angled out of the frame.

Looking at your list, I don't see that you removed the lever. You have to remove it to get clearance to drop the bolt.

Just removed

The bolt can then be slid to the rear and angled down to come out of the receiver.

If you have to remove the trigger group, no big deal. Just remove the two screws and slide it down a little.

I took the screws out of the frame near the trigger group but it doesn't appear to be able to be moved. Per the parts diagram it looks like I have to remove the stock to gain access to the pivot in order to move it.

Thanks for the help BTW

Yes, you have to remove the stock to lover the trigger group since they are screwed together. There are two stock screws, One machine screw that goes in from the top and one wood screw that goes in from the bottom.

Howdy,

The hammer will prevent the back part of the bolt to slide back far enough for the front part to clear even after you have removed the small screw from the top of the dust cover and slide it back ( watch out for detent ball if slide cover back to far) so here's a little trick with out tearing it down sny farther, ounce you have the bolt apart slide the back half until it touches hammer then take a brass punch and gently tap it back against the hammer until the front half of the bolt clears enough to remove it, don't leave the back half of the bolt wedged against the hammer tap it forward to relieve pressure off the hammer and firing pin extention.

KK

Archived