SASS Wire Forum

What hammers to replace with

Finagler 6853 Life

Looks like I'm not going to get the new model Vaqueros with the lowered hammers so what do I need to get to convert my old model Vaqueros from the stock hammers to the lower profile ones? Are they Blackhawk hammers as I think there was a fair amount of fitting with these or are they Montado hammers? Can you give me some advice? Thanks

Looks like I'm not going to get the new model Vaqueros with the lowered hammers so what do I need to get to convert my old model Vaqueros from the stock hammers to the lower profile ones? Are they Blackhawk hammers as I think there was a fair amount of fitting with these or are they Montado hammers? Can you give me some advice? Thanks

Super Blackhawk hammers are a drop-in fit, giving you a lower profile & a wider hammer spur. Midway has them. they will probably be on backorder but they usually beat the delivery date they will quote. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I know the SBH hammer will drop right into the new Vaquero, and everything I've read on the matter indicates it'll fit the old Vaquero too. The difference in ease of cocking is like night & day over the stock hammer. They're worth the investment.

I was on the backorder list at Midway - said I could expect delivery in March, and that was back in December. They arrived the second week of January. Just depends on how quickly Ruger can make them and ship them to the retailers.

:FlagAm: You might want to contact Choctaw Silver Wolf. He reconfigures the hammer spur of your hammer for $30.00. I have had him redo several hammers for us including four OMV. The turn around time has been one week and he does excellent work. The cost is less than buying new hammers and if you have had an action job done already, nothing is altered in that regard.

Chas B. Wolfson

What's wrong with the stock hammers? You shoot one-handed?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Point well taken for those who might just and only be wanting the "latest & greatest" thing. The hammer is so much lower that two handed shooters might find the hammer hitting their strong hand while cocking. My wife tried mine and found this to be the case. As GF or duelist, it's the cat's meow. Super Blackhawk low flat spur is the way to go.

CR

What's wrong with the stock hammers? You shoot one-handed?

Phantom

:FlagAm:

Yep, I was about to ask the same thing and make a comment similair to Cowboy Rick's.

I've had more than a couple Pards who shoot Trad style tell me that they aren't very fond of the lowered hammers.

BUT, on the other hand, it seems quite a few one-handers like those lowered hammers very well.

I shoot GF. I have 2 sets of OMV's that have SBH hammers installed and really love em.

I will probably take a 3rd set and do the same.

..........Widder

Yep, I was about to ask the same thing and make a comment similair to Cowboy Rick's.

I've had more than a couple Pards who shoot Trad style tell me that they aren't very fond of the lowered hammers.

BUT, on the other hand, it seems quite a few one-handers like those lowered hammers very well.

I shoot GF. I have 2 sets of OMV's that have SBH hammers installed and really love em.

I will probably take a 3rd set and do the same.

..........Widder

Does anyone have a photo of the Super Blackhawk hammers n where to get them?

Aunt Jen.

iPhone

Aunt Jen:

the pick only shows the side view which give you a look at the lowered spur.

But also, that spur is wider.....much wider than the normal spurs.

..........Nephew Widder

:FlagAm: You might want to contact Choctaw Silver Wolf. He reconfigures the hammer spur of your hammer for $30.00. I have had him redo several hammers for us including four OMV. The turn around time has been one week and he does excellent work. The cost is less than buying new hammers and if you have had an action job done already, nothing is altered in that regard.

Chas B. Wolfson

Plus 1 for Choctaw Silver Wolf, he does a great job and very fast turn a round time. And will save the much needed coins by going this route! ;)

Slick

Archived