SASS Wire Forum

Ruckus at Red Rock

another thread just got me thinking and realizing this match is only three weeks away.

i'm getting excited to see some old friends and shoot this match again. if southern utah is in your radius for fun i suggest you make plans to join this one. its less than 2 hours from las vegas http://www.dixiedesperados.com/

Hey Charlie.....thanks for the fun plug....you are spot on.......BTW - when you get up here, I would like you to come visit us at the house one afternoon/evening.....JT will be staying with us - (but come anyway :rolleyes:) ......talk to ya about details when ya get here...........

Also - found out are stuff did not make it to teh Chronicle........so if ya would check out my other htread and add your comments there..........helps us get the word out..thanks abunch .......regards....Wolf

PS: almost forgot......were you avolunteer at WR?

Larsen.....was great to see you at WR....and you really should come up to the Rukus .....shoot some pictures and have fun in sunny Southern Utah.....you will not be disapointed....folks will tell you it is one of the best matches around......looking like mid 70's and clear to partly sunny.........I heard it might be cold and damp at Stampede...????

Hope you can make it......regards..............Wolf

Larsen,

you know what i like (and what i dont like) and i like this match. it was well run and organized. the targets are good size and reasonably placed. the scenarios were cool and although my dumbass got a P there werent any traps. awards were sat night with an excellent meal included. i'm sure you'll have a good time if you go. hope to see there.

and ya Wolf, Nine Toe Joe coerced me into "volunteering" but we had such a good time were actually going to do it again.

CC

This is very fun shoot and the club works very hard to get the range ready. We have one of the best ranges around with 12 permanent props. Several on cement slabs. We look forward to warm weather and lots of great friends, but looking to make more. If you can make it to Utah's Dixie April 13-16 we would love to have ya.

As I said on Wolfies other site, I already have confirmation in hand for myself and Light Angel, so that is two that will be there. I think Gaucho and Bitteroot Beaver will be there too.......This is a truly fun shoot, I think I have been to all of them at the new range and about a half dozen or so at the old range and the new range is GREAT. See ya there..... :)

Ruckus at Red Rock is held in Saint George, Utah, mid April. St. George is located in southern Utah and is far enough south to miss the cold from the north in late fall/winter/early spring and far enough north, to miss the extreme heat in the summer from the southwest (Las Vegas/Phonix/the like) So, in April, the weather is better that most of the rest of the country. Think mid 70's or warmer in April. Also, very low humity for those that know higher humity hurts when cold or hot.

The Dixie Desperados have consistantly put on great matches. They have experience.. think of a club that has a good core of fit as a fiddle retirees that have plenty of time to think of how to improve the club. Their big matches are the Ruckus at Red Rocks, Huntsman Senior Games and the Holiday Shoot near New Years of each year. Dixie Deperados have a permanent range site, with permanent steel (good steel) left out and more and more permanent facades.... and the facades have their own personal touches to make them more 1870's cowboy looking.

Ruckus is a nice small (100+/-), friendly shooters shoot. You have time to get to know just about everyone before the match is done. Targets and scenerios are shooter friendly,, something for everyone and nothing to tough for anyone.. No two for one shot gun stuff.... but they do like their fliers/poopers with stationary makeups for those that are going for a clean match. Price is reasonable, good value for the shooters (six stages per day) and just plain fun. No Sunday shooting which allows travelers a head start to get back home. Lots of affordable to expensive motel rooms to pick from. Heck, during the Senior Games, the town can accomodate nearly 10,000 athletes in a two week period. Camping too. It doesn't take too long to get from the far end of town to the other far end of town,,,, 12-15 miles longest distance??? or something like that. Oh yes, they have a Sportsmans Warehouse. :rolleyes:

Huntsman Senior Games is a whole different shoot and people 50+ years old are elgible to go. That is for another topic.

I am not saying the Ruckus at Red Rock is the best shoot, but it is a good one and well worth considering if you live in Utah or one of the surrounding states bordering Utah. Heck come on over even if you have to drive through another to get there.

I can afford to attend the three major matches at the Dixie Desperados vs one major such as WR or EOT. I have limited SASS funding. I am just saying....

Well that is about all I can give for a plug to a very good cowboy shoot.

Blastmaster

Thanks Blastmaster and Parie Dog, Danite and Kid & Charlie....

We need to get the word out --- somehow our ADD did not make it in the Chronicle.....so we need to let folks know by word-of-mouth....and those are some pretty good words coming out of your mouths.....thanks :FlagAm:

And to sweeten the pot........(besides the free thank you for shootin withus lunch on Friday)....I got us another gun for a door prize.....(we have a couple already)...Sportsmans donated a Cimmaron 38 Plowhandle to the pot..real nice gun.......WHO WANTS IT????? ;)

See ya'll in about 17 days........be well ......Wolf

Thanks Blastmaster and Parie Dog, Danite and Kid & Charlie....

We need to get the word out --- somehow our ADD did not make it in the Chronicle.....so we need to let folks know by word-of-mouth....and those are some pretty good words coming out of your mouths.....thanks :FlagAm:

And to sweeten the pot........(besides the free thank you for shootin withus lunch on Friday)....I got us another gun for a door prize.....(we have a couple already)...Sportsmans donated a Cimmaron 38 Plowhandle to the pot..real nice gun.......WHO WANTS IT????? ;)

See ya'll in about 17 days........be well ......Wolf

Wolfy.

I can not speak for anyone else, but all the out of town shoots I've ever attended have been learned from folks that have been there, and recommended the shoot, and that has been by word of mouth.

Maybe it is a good thing it didn't make it to the paper. Either you know about it, heard about already or are going anyway. The ad money can be put toward more steel or building material for a new prop. Maybe some meat for the stew pot. That would be nice. :lol:

Blastmaster

What all these boys didn't mention is the dinner is in doors so us girls can really dress up and even some of the cowboys. There is a great costume contest just before the dinner.

There is a total of 3 guns now to be given away and more door prizes coming in daily.

Did they mention the WILD BUNCH match.. 5 stages decaticated to John M Browning. This match is scored seperatly and will have it's own awards.

Long Range (hopefully out to 600 yds!

Lots of side matches plus someone tell them about the shotgun challenge.

Every time I shoot my shotgun it's a challenge.

LoL!!!

Wish you could have joined us this past weekend at Western Cup. Madd Mike set up a shotgun challenge that was FANTASTIC! 16 targets including two birds and one soda popper with plenty of movement. Everyone had a blast. Half a Hand Henri even remembered to cock her hammers..................................occasionally. :lol:

Slim........

Shotgun Challenge ---- or better know as the "Bowling Ball Stage"...... :ph34r:

Usually set up between 12 and 18 rounds........ :rolleyes:

Several Clays and usually at least one soda can and one charcoal brickette....... :unsure:

Start standing on the "Gallows".....ominious enough yet??? :angry:

Shoot first knockdown which releases the first bowling ball which rolls and releases a flying Clay then continues to roll and realeses a Brickette....... :lol:

Shoot other knock down which releases another bowling ball which rolls.....(and in the mean time you shoot other knock downs, one with a soda can, one with another Clay flier)....then other bowling ball hits.....(((Course all depends on how fast you are - as to how many other targets you engage before 2nd bowling ball hits...????)))...and when the 2nd Bowling ball hits another Clay flies up......and finish off the rest of the knockdowns if you havn't shot them yet..... :o:P:blink:

Kinda get the idea.......????? this is one of those side matches that folks love and hate at the same time......and keep coming back for more to see if they can do better..... :wub:

Of course it can be shot in any order and when they set it up each year..they set it up different each time........

SO you up for the Challenge Sparkey....????

Regards....Wolf

Hold the presses! I talked to Hanka Chief at the Arizona Expo yesterday and he is going to be a food vendor at Ruckus. I have my green chile cheeseburger on order! As soon as the April welfare check arrives, I'm sending in my application.

Slim........

Shotgun Challenge ---- or better know as the "Bowling Ball Stage"...... :ph34r:

Usually set up between 12 and 18 rounds........ :rolleyes:

Several Clays and usually at least one soda can and one charcoal brickette....... :unsure:

Start standing on the "Gallows".....ominious enough yet??? :angry:

Shoot first knockdown which releases the first bowling ball which rolls and releases a flying Clay then continues to roll and realeses a Brickette....... :lol:

Shoot other knock down which releases another bowling ball which rolls.....(and in the mean time you shoot other knock downs, one with a soda can, one with another Clay flier)....then other bowling ball hits.....(((Course all depends on how fast you are - as to how many other targets you engage before 2nd bowling ball hits...????)))...and when the 2nd Bowling ball hits another Clay flies up......and finish off the rest of the knockdowns if you havn't shot them yet..... :o:P:blink:

Kinda get the idea.......????? this is one of those side matches that folks love and hate at the same time......and keep coming back for more to see if they can do better..... :wub:

Of course it can be shot in any order and when they set it up each year..they set it up different each time........

SO you up for the Challenge Sparkey....????

Regards....Wolf

I was resetting our version of that same challenge this past weekend. Made the mistake of not ensuring the bowling ball was 100% secure before going to set the bird launcher. I'll probably still have a bruise on my right calf at your match.

I'll make sure to bring extra shotgun shells. :D

I was resetting our version of that same challenge this past weekend. Made the mistake of not ensuring the bowling ball was 100% secure before going to set the bird launcher. I'll probably still have a bruise on my right calf at your match.

I'll make sure to bring extra shotgun shells. :D

Those launchers at the Ruckus will plan take your head off if you are not careful and mindfull of what you are suppose to be doing. Good launchers, but.....be sure the trip target is reset and there is slack in the rope to the launcher before resetting it.

I heard they are trying to replace them with another type of launcher but man do those old ones really sail those birds. They will set them so the bird will go straight up, across, straight away, you name it. It is a challenge for sure but the course has been shot clean by people with sxs.

Blastmaster

Hold the presses! I talked to Hanka Chief at the Arizona Expo yesterday and he is going to be a food vendor at Ruckus. I have my green chile cheeseburger on order! As soon as the April welfare check arrives, I'm sending in my application.

I heard that Hanka Chiefs Philly Cheese Steak sandwich is pretty good too.

RUCKUS IS COMING -- Better make sure we're ready --

-----------------------------------------

Application and money sent ----------- X (Check)

Confirmation received ---------------- X

Ammo loaded ------------------------- X

Gun cart restocked ------------------ X

Hotel Reservations ------------------ X

Car gassed and packed --------------- X

Ready to have fun ------------------- XXX

Wait until April 13th to leave ------ Aggggghhhhh -I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been told by many of our friends that this is one GREAT SHOOT. We'll be there.

Conejo & Darlin' Dakota Jo

HEY WOLF,

I just noticed that you don't have a POST on the SASS EVENTS WIRE on this website. I reference the EVENTS WIRE all the time when looking for upcoming shoots.

That's a good place to "get the word out".

Conejo.

I have that on order for the next afternoon.

Save room for the banquet. It will be held again at George Stingles mini Old West town. Lots of antiques on display and some for sale. Banquet room is open and looks kinda like a barn. Good atmosphere.. Last year, George served Dutch Oven cobbler with ice cream for desert. I hope he does it again this year. George also donated an old-old wagon to the club. We hope to get it set at the entrance of the range before the Ruckus. George also sold, at a very reduced price, some old farm/livery stuff to hang on the walls of some of the facades. You will see some of the stuff at the Livery Stage. George is a good guy and not even a shooter, but he likes what Cowboy shooting is all about. Then there is Mr. Squib, the pig, at the Livery Stable. Be sure to say hello to him when you shoot the stage. :rolleyes:

Another plus in attending the Ruckus is,,, you can bring a firearm to be dropped off to be repaired by TL Miller (Cowboy & Indian fame),,, who lives in St George (Washington town to be exact). He may not get it fixed by the time you leave, but at least you saved shipping price to him. Or, you can pick up your firearm that you have already sent him and save the shipping back. Once way or the other, you probably can talk to him face to face and explain in person what all you want/need done. What value and I hope TL (President of the club) doesn't mind the plug..... nor SASS doesn't mind either.

This all started talking about food? :)

To clarify more about what Wolf/Dixie said about the Shotgun Challenge. The targets can be engaged in any order. Left to right, Right to left, middle outwards, doesn't matter,, shooters choice. It takes about four people to reset the stage after each shooter. Please take a few minutes to help reset targets, position bowling balls, and such after you have completed the course. At least in the past, you can go through more than once. There may be an additional charge after the first try. Gurantee, you will want to try more than once. :P

To bad there will not be the Couples Shoot that O T Hutch mentioned in the Chronicle that was so successful last year at the Senior Games. There just isn't enough time (with everything else being offered) at the Ruckus to schedule it this year.

Blastmaster

Did you boys head we going to have a 2 stage night shoot on Friday evening. William Waddy just love to see the fireworks after dark. No other details yet but bring your guns.

Wolfie: Haven't seen you in a while, Shaky says HI!!! And is practicing his howl........

Do you have a round count for the Wild Bunch mini match? Shaky is looking forward to that. I wish April 12 would hurry up and get here, we love your matches put on by the Dixie Desperados.

Why Howdy Miss Skye..........

No count for the Wild Bunch Match yet........I will see what I can do......

Tell Shaky I said HI!.....and I don't need to practice my "HOOOWWLLL" as it comes natural for us Wolves>>> ;)

It will be great to see you'll again.......warmest regards....Wolf :D:ph34r:B):FlagAm:

I Will be running the Pocket Pistol and Derringer side match and need clearifcation: ARE 22 CAL. ALLOWED

In fact I can not find to much information on side matches.

If I could figure out how to add pictures to this post I would show how nice our props are looking. Weather is really looking promising.

I Will be running the Pocket Pistol and Derringer side match and need clearifcation: ARE 22 CAL. ALLOWED

In fact I can not find to much information on side matches.

If I could figure out how to add pictures to this post I would show how nice our props are looking. Weather is really looking promising.

Shooters Handbook, Page 17:

Pocket Pistol is .31caliber or larger.

Derringer is .22caliber or larger.

Dang Ross - that was quick ;)

12 days left.......WWW

Wolf,

I am bringing over 1000rds of rifle, 1000rds of pistol and a flat of shotgun shells. Do you think that will be enough for practice and the match? :rolleyes:

I will also be bringing another 150 pounds of props (stuff) for some of the shooting bays to help dress them up a bit more. I hope I do not get stopped by the Highway Patrol and try to explain why and what all I have in my trunk that is destined for Dixie Desperatos. :lol:

Blastmaster

Blastmaster

Well now....the 1000 rifle and pistol rounds should do you fine....... :mellow:

Now that flat of shotgun rounds - not so sure...depends on how many times you have to try the shotgun Challenge.... :unsure:

Glad your bringing more stuff.......and try not to get stopped by the UHP.....see ya in about 11 days....... :FlagAm:

Danite...glad Gaucho and Beaver are gonna make it..............look forward to seein you as always..............be well .....Wolf

Archived