SASS Wire Forum

Weird question for Friday

Iron Pony

Just asking...was shooting some of the subsonic heavy bullet "sniper" rounds out of the little beretta pistol and noticed right off they smelled like crayon lube or such. Never smelled a 22 before, other then burned powder that is. Have shot these out of rifles previously and not noticed it. Is it the powder, the lube they use on the bullet, the fact the beretta has that open top slide or what?

They dont shoot well out of the short bbl and function on the slide was goofy too, stove piped twice and threw a bunch of schmutz back into my face so I was glad to be wearing shooting glasses.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
Do Aguila 22s smell funny?

Funny? Yep... my dentist uses Aguila fumes instead of laughin' gas.

(jes joshin' Arn Pony!)

They do have a rather fragrant scent...

I normally shoot off a couple of Aguila .22's... right before I come out of a lengthy bathroom readin' session. Works fairly good... 'ceptin' them holes up in the ceilin'.

(I believe that some of the powder in Aguila .22 subsonics is black powder... sure produces a lot of dark, dirty smoke.)

ts

I normally shoot off a couple of Aguila .22's... right before I come out of a lengthy bathroom readin' session. Works fairly good... 'ceptin' them holes up in the ceilin'.

ts

Fortunately, TS's bathroom is located 100 yards from the house, so holes in the ceiling aren't that big of a thing. They certainly aren't as big as the knothole in the side wall or the quarter moon in the front door. :D

(Good seeing you "on board" again, Stud.)

It's the ELEY priming compound used. It smells like melted plastic...

Thats easy to check Sgt, I've got their colibri rounds as well which is only primer compound. Thought it might be lube on the bullets but when I tried wiping it off there was no residue.

Archived