SASS Wire Forum

Interesting article on how to survive a bear attack

Interesting article.

Synopsis:

1. Grizzly / Brown Bear - You are a threat, he wants to neutralize you. Play dead and protect your vitals.

2. Black Bear - You are scarier than him/her, act loud and aggressive, don't run.

3. Polar Bear - You are lunch. You are also pretty much screwed. Playing dead just makes the job easier, and ain't gonna intimidate him either. Better have a really big gun. And be a REALLY good shot.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/how-to-survive-a-bear-attack?hpt=Sbin

Always travel with somebody who runs slower than you.

ts

:lol: :lol:

In case you can't run faster, when I was flying the bush the old timers said best bear gun is a .22, when confrinted by a bear shoot whoever is with ya in the knee and run like hell

When travelling in bear country it is a good idea to carry pepper spray and tie bells to your shoelaces. A suprised bear is the most dangerous. If they hear you coming, with luck, they will leave the trail in your advance. Also it's important to be able to recognize different kinds of bear scat so you'll know what you might encounter. Brown bear scat will usually contain rabbit fur and wild berries. Grizzly bear scat often contains little bells and smells like pepper!

I am going to study this cuz Charlies post about a bare attack and me on the wire.. I guess I need to learn to protect myself.. from Charlies posts anyhow.. lol. Grizz.. lol.... Robert Redford as Johnson was a hoot.. lol

So THAT's why people keep inviting me to go bear hunting!

Do they ask you to carry the watermelon? lol.. In AZ per my friend that worked for AZ Game and Fish Bears love Watermelon..

Yup, they sure did, now I see that I was just bait!

rotfl ... you are funny... It;'s okay I carried the watermelon too.. lol

At least I was smart enough not to carry the pepper spray and ring a little bell!

I need to buy a bell.. lol... For some reason my system just signed me out.. lol... Odd... huh>> Hey in CA you can't just buy pepper spray you have to have some sort of training.. I can aim darn it.. lol.. Oh, I will BRB.. door bell.. later.. DV

I am going to study this cuz Charlies post about a bare attack and me on the wire.. I guess I need to learn to protect myself.. from Charlies posts anyhow.. lol. Grizz.. lol.... Robert Redford as Johnson was a hoot.. lol

Charlie managed to change bear to bare.

I guess Deja never heard the old joke about bears....

Ranger: you should carry pepper spray and a bell to ring in case you are confronted by bears. You should be extra careful when you see bear scat around.

BMC: Mr Ranger man, how can you tell if it's bear scat?

Ranger: Bear scat smells like pepper and has bells in it.

That's all for me, nite folks, off to dream of shiney guns and loud bangs.

Grizz-zzzz-zzzzzzzzzzz

Charlie managed to change bear to bare.

yep.. he did the post about the bare lady.. lol... This post just cracked me up, so I simply had to TAG Charlies.. lol... Too funny...

I guess Deja never heard the old joke about bears....

Ranger: you should carry pepper spray and a bell to ring in case you are confronted by bears. You should be extra careful when you see bear scat around.

BMC: Mr Ranger man, how can you tell if it's bear scat?

Ranger: Bear scat smells like pepper and has bells in it.

That's all for me, nite folks, off to dream of shiney guns and loud bangs.

Grizz-zzzz-zzzzzzzzzzz

lol... about the size of it.. The moral of the story is Don't carry a watermelon and a bell into bear country...lol... no matter who tells you it's okay to do it.. lol Cuz they are looking for entertainment..

Fuzzy Wuzzy

Was a bear

Fuzzy Wuzzy

Had no hair

Fuzzy Wuzzy

Wasn't fuzzy, was he?

Was he bare?

:P:wacko::blink::lol: :lol:

lol... Fuzzy wzzy wasn't fuzzy so I guess he was buzzy.. or bare.. lol

Do not sleep with candy,toothpaste, or other smellies...like your socks

And never let you best friend store his food and laundry in your tent camper.. lol.. yeah I know that now.. lol

:lol: :lol:

In case you can't run faster, when I was flying the bush the old timers said best bear gun is a .22, when confrinted by a bear shoot whoever is with ya in the knee and run like hell

Monitor clean up in aisle three.

Good article, and fairly accurate..grizzlies do tend to just bat ya around some if they attack, and the "play dead stuff" will work unless they plan on eating you-Which they sometimes do.

If a black bear attacks, they generally plan on killing you..So fight like yer life depends on it-Because it probably does! Punch the critter in the nose, or better yet poke him in the eye iffn' ya can!

There have been a few instances in which a blackie has dined on human..But as a general rule, they only attack when suprised or scared, perceive a threat to their cubs, or over a food source.

I noticed the article didn't mention the use of firearms..In the case of a polar bear, a gun is probably the only thing that's going to keep ya from gettin' et..Preferably nothing smaller than a .375 Magnum rifle.

I ran into a hiker and his lady one day on the Blue Ridge Parkway and noticed he was carrying a can of dog spray..I asked him what it was for and he said "Bears". I told him the best thing he could do was leave it in his car if that was all he had, it would do nothing but pi** the bear off.. :blink:

As for me, I'm going to pack a gun anytime I'm in the woods..Just makes good sense, not really so much for four legged critters as the two legged ones.. :ph34r:

As for me, I'm going to pack a gun anytime I'm in the woods..Just makes good sense, not really so much for four legged critters as the two legged ones.. :ph34r:

Worried about them bigfoot critters huh? :D

I see no reference to the probability that an increase in bear attacks is due to an increase in ecotourists attempting to hand feed bears ham sandwiches. Sometimes known as the Timothy Treadwell factor.

Frank, I think what you are referring to is the EBBGAS Fund (Every Brown Bear Gets a Sandwich). This is a highly respected organization, and is in fact my favorite animal charity. I would suggest you look at the link below and get all the information before making such rash remarks. Thank You.

Respectfully,

Ridgetop

Bare attack? Ya got me with that one, Deja! :rolleyes:

I have a very good friend who was chomped on by a black bear while camping in the Smokies several years ago. He was sleeping in a hammock and was spooked awake when the bear sniffed his nose. He woke up with a start, the bear jumped back and back then bit down on his torso. He let go right away and then chomped his arm.

His wife doesn't go camping any more.

Frank, I think what you are referring to is the EBBGAS Fund (Every Brown Bear Gets a Sandwich). This is a highly respected organization, and is in fact my favorite animal charity. I would suggest you look at the link below and get all the information before making such rash remarks. Thank You.

Respectfully,

Ridgetop

I got a little muddled on the message (the messanger was a little distracting). Does this mean you're donating to a charity that feeds small children to brown bears? If so there are a few around here I'd like to contribute.

Bare attack? Ya got me with that one, Deja! :rolleyes:

I have a very good friend who was chomped on by a black bear while camping in the Smokies several years ago. He was sleeping in a hammock and was spooked awake when the bear sniffed his nose. He woke up with a start, the bear jumped back and back then bit down on his torso. He let go right away and then chomped his arm.

His wife doesn't go camping any more.

Not exactly a great camping trip.. yikes... I am so sorry.. I was waiting for a line there.. like his wife doesn't going hunting with her "honey" anymore.. lol

Charlies, you had that one coming... lol

Yeah, rumor has it that she caused quite a stir being on the cover of Maxim magazine a couple of months ago. Something about personal grooming habits.... :P:wacko: :wacko: :blink::lol:

RR's are you talking about me, the bear, or the lady who jumped bare off the cliff?

Archived