SASS Wire Forum

Palmetto Whitney Revolver Problem

Preacher Clint

I have a Palmetto Arms Whitney 36 C&B revolver that I bought a few weeks ago. I was getting ready to take it out to the range and was cycling the action when I noticed that the cylinder wasn't turning sometimes. Other times it wouldn't cycle all the way. And other times it operated perfectly. My first thought was a broken hand spring, but such was not the case. Interestingly, when I point the muzzle downward, the hand seemingly does not engage the ratchet on the cylinder. When I tip the muzzle almost straight up, it cycles as it should (most of the time, but not always). There is no excess gap between the cylinder and the barrel. No side to side play. Locks up tight as a drum and no early bolt engagement symptoms. I thought that perhaps the handspring was weak, so I replaced it with one off of an 1858 replica. Same problems as before. Need some thoughts, hints, and advice. This is a really nice example and I bought it to shoot.:huh:

Preacher Clint I'll bet you still have a cracked or broken hand spring. Had this happen in an open-top I own. The hand spring was still in one piece, however it had a crack which made it only function when you held it near vertical. Replace the hand spring with a replacement VTI 1861 Navy hand sprig and your Whitney will function fine.

Tennessee Deadeye

Archived