SASS Wire Forum

Baikal rework Question

I'm in the process of tuning my Baikal double. I'm getting a set of papa Daves cocking cams and have replaced the lever spring. I know Mohave Gambler has shortened the hammer springs but I cannot find on his site just how much he took off these springs. Can anyone help me out here ? Thanks

I'm in the process of tuning my Baikal double. I'm getting a set of papa Daves cocking cams and have replaced the lever spring. I know Mohave Gambler has shortened the hammer springs but I cannot find on his site just how much he took off these springs. Can anyone help me out here ? Thanks

Dee Mak Jack

You too need to read the warning by Nate Kiowa Jones. Your project may be headed for trouble if not careful. RBK

Caution

A word of caution from Nate Kiowa Jones, a noted gunsmith on cowboy guns.

Changing or modifying the cockers or reducing the hammer springs so the gun will open wider/easier without retiming the hinge area can lead to the forarm hanger on the bottom of the barrels to be damaged on these SXS's. This is happening with the Stoegers and the Baikals. Some have had this hanger/lug crack and break off. I was shown a Baikal here recently that had the under-rib were the lug attaches, come un-soldered and was buckled, as well.

What happens when the cockers and/or reducing the hammer springs alone are done is, the hook tries to roll off the hinge pin forcing the fore-iron hard into the hanger/lug when the gun is slammed open. The heavy hammersprings dampen this effect.

To avoid these problems, the hinge area needs to be retimed so it will open wider but the hammers go to full cock later in the opening so that when they are at full cocked the gun will still be open enough to easily load. This gun can be made to open wide, stay open without having this problem but it is more involved than just reducing springs

If you haven't worked on one before, it isn't that expensive to hire an experienced gunsmith to tune your Baikal. And if you do want to do the work yourself, I know that Nate and Gunslinger are both open to phone calls. At least they were in the past.

By the way, I shipped my then new to me Baikal to Gunslinger. Somebody had done some cowboy gunsmithing on it. He had to replace several unanticipated parts to make it safe and reliable.

I would try it with the new cocking levers before I messed with the firing springs. Since you have already changed the release lever spring it should work a lot easier, mine did. I did not shorten or change the firing springs.

But I did check to make sure that the fore-end was not hitting when opening.

Also I am not a gunsmith just a tinkerer. So if you are in doubt call a professional.

Archived