SASS Wire Forum

4 barrel shotguns?

Doc Windshadow

On todays American Rifleman TV show they were showing some of the Amazing Peterson collection guns and at the start of the piece they panned by a display of 4 barrel shotguns the 4 were in a S/S/O/U and I just got to wondering if they would be legal in a SASS shoot. Should be fast on a 4 shotgun knockdowns but I expect that load and reload times would even it up on 6 shot string...

Just curious as I expect guns of that sort (given what they showed in detail of his collection) to be worth more than my house!

BTW there was a Nock volley gun rather anachronistically displayed on one of his many Gattling guns

On todays American Rifleman TV show they were showing some of the Amazing Peterson collection guns and at the start of the piece they panned by a display of 4 barrel shotguns the 4 were in a S/S/O/U and I just got to wondering if they would be legal in a SASS shoot.

NO...please refer to "Shotgun Requirements" in the SHOOTERS HANDBOOK (page 10)

Should be fast on a 4 shotgun knockdowns but I expect that load and reload times would even it up on 6 shot string...

Just curious as I expect guns of that sort (given what they showed in detail of his collection) to be worth more than my house!

BTW there was a Nock volley gun rather anachronistically displayed on one of his many Gattling guns

Happy with the ruling Boss As I would never be rich enough to afford one but as these seem to be SXS and also O/U at the same time I see your point

But I guess they could be in an X pattern in which case you have a pure SxS just 2 pair of SxS and the rule has no restriction that I see in the number of Side by side barrels in a shotgun it might be a sticky point if a Daddy Warbucks type showed up with one at a shoot :lol:

Cheers,

Windy

Just playing the "what if" game

PaleWolf, happy to see you are making folks read the words in the Handbook themselves - instead of spoon feeding them with the printed words when another one of those 'wondering' posts crop up, like they do.

Here's a trick for all to make it easier when looking up information in the SASS books ... they are pdf file. Acrobat Reader has a feature on the toolbar: Edit > Find

Click on it and enter a word or phrase your looking for. The find command takes you to every occurrence of the word or phrase in the complete document. Piece of cake - Try It!

In a word......Gunzilla!

Tis True...Gunzilla has one he had made up..I seen it......heard it drives the match directors at some matches a bit nuts.

Doc Windshadow, on 23 March 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

On todays American Rifleman TV show they were showing some of the Amazing Peterson collection guns and at the start of the piece they panned by a display of 4 barrel shotguns the 4 were in a S/S/O/U and I just got to wondering if they would be legal in a SASS shoot.

NO...please refer to "Shotgun Requirements" in the SHOOTERS HANDBOOK (page 10)

Should be fast on a 4 shotgun knockdowns but I expect that load and reload times would even it up on 6 shot string...

But PW, what if I ducke-taped TWO doubles, one on top of the other (Ok, duck-tape ain't cowboy so could I use leather wrap?) and did it thataway? Aiming would be a problem but most cowboy targets are sooo close, who needs sights? :blink:

But PW, what if I ducke-taped TWO doubles, one on top of the other (Ok, duck-tape ain't cowboy so could I use leather wrap?) and did it thataway? Aiming would be a problem but most cowboy targets are sooo close, who needs sights? :blink:

Been done...been ruled on (at EoT).

NOT LEGAL.

O/U's are NOT allowed...neither is taking two SxS's to the line (whether the shooter loads four rounds or not.

In a word......Gunzilla!

Tis True...Gunzilla has one he had made up..I seen it......heard it drives the match directors at some matches a bit nuts.

Been done...been ruled on (at EoT).

NOT LEGAL

O/U's are NOT allowed...neither is taking two SxS's to the line (whether the shooter loads four rounds or not).

"Local" rules may vary...but NOT at a "SASS-sanctioned" match that purports to follow SASS rules.

Gunzilla shoots in a "No Class" category.

He is a character of the first order and does his best to make every shoot he attends fun for everyone.

His "Dragon Gun" was two O/U shotguns bolted together. Each set of barrels was enclosed in a stainless steel tube. When he pulled the improvised triggers both barrels on one side would fire.

His costuming is a hoot to figure out. One of the things he wears is a ladies high heeled shoe on a string around his neck. When asked he will tell you that it is his "Lucky Whores Shoe"

Some people don't like him because he is "poking fun at our sport".

I think he is a hoot and I'll shoot with him anytime.

Most unique SxS that I ever saw was a double barrel muzzle loader that had two hammers on each barrel; one set in the usual position and one further down the barrel. It would be loaded with tandem charges in each barrel and fired by a unique trigger interlock system that precluded the rear from being fired before the front was discharged. Certainly couldn't be used for SASS since muzzleloading shotguns are not allowed due to the fact that they are not "centerfire".

Gunzilla shoots in a "No Class" category.

He is a character of the first order and does his best to make every shoot he attends fun for everyone.

His "Dragon Gun" was two O/U shotguns bolted together. Each set of barrels was enclosed in a stainless steel tube. When he pulled the improvised triggers both barrels on one side would fire.

His costuming is a hoot to figure out. One of the things he wears is a ladies high heeled shoe on a string around his neck. When asked he will tell you that it is his "Lucky Whores Shoe"

Some people don't like him because he is "poking fun at our sport".

I think he is a hoot and I'll shoot with him anytime.

Yep. He is FUN.

Most all around here lets him shoot it. And his rifle in the guitar. :wacko:

Just put him in his own category.

I think they should let him wonder around from posse to posse and let him shoot

with all of them. Just for the entertainment factor.

And he does entertain.

Archived