SASS Wire Forum

ww2 pt boat

Red Logan #12252

There were two company's making them, Elco was one. can't remember the other one off hand. At the end of the war, they burned a lot of them instead of bringing them home.......Buck :blush:

Higgins, I do believe...

Another thing just crossed my foggy brain. :rolleyes::wacko:

the PT's last hurrah was the Battle of Surigao Strait in conjunction with the 7th Fleet during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. they had a hand in wiping out Admiral Nishimura's group the night before the big dust up in the Gulf....... :FlagAm::blush:

These boats were so well made that many that survived the War and made it back were sold and converted to pleasure boats and such. When I was a teenager a friend of my Dads had one that was converted to a sport fishing boat in Long Beach, California. I used to work on it as a deckhand on weekend fishing trips. It was a wonderful craft, but because it was wood, required a lot of work. It was eventually sold and went to Mexico with a new owner. :(

I would like to restore a 21/2 ton truck (M211) from that era. I have collected some of the parts but I need to find a non rusted out truck for the base.

Did Huckins make any??

:blush:

Yes, Huckins made 18 PT Boats. None saw combat action. Most were used to patrol the Panama Canal,

and a few were in Hawaii for patrols.

I believe it was that Huckins was a much smaller outfit than Elco or Higgins that prevented them from

producing the numbers needed by the Navy for combat boats. Also, there were some "peculiarities" about

the Huckins model that were not prevalent in the Elco & Higgins, which didn't lend themselves well

to combat.

I recall when they made the movie PT 109, they had to use converted sub chasers because of the rarity of operating PT boats.

Back in the early 70s, my Dad was going through chemo at M D Anderson Hosp. in Houston. He became friends with a former PT Boat skipper who was also going through chemo. This guy told some interesting stories about PTs in the Pacific during WW2.

From the foggy depths of my noggin comes a memory of a story I read as a teenager... described a PT attack on ships in a Japanese convoy. The one detail I recall from the story was that the Japanese would initally train their searchlights skyward... somewhat duped by the sound of the Packard aircraft engines.

Don't think it fooled 'em for long, though. :mellow:

(Even back then I wondered about that - an aircraft engine just wouldn't sound the same in a boat with exhaust ported below the waterline... or was it?)

Archived