SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1866 problem

Noz

Here's the problem.

New after market firing pin with spring.

With new spring in place. After a couple of cycles of dry fire, spring sticks in channel and does not retract the firing pin.

With old spring in place. The firing pin retracts but the pin goes forward with a lot of resistance. Feels like pushing it through sand (poetic license). Not smooth. The old spring also has a lot more strength. I have an occasional "failure to fire" primer and I'm wondering if this grityness and/or the strong spring is the cause for that.

This is not a new problem. I have been fighting this for 6-8 months.

I've polished everything I can see that can stand being polished.

Any thoughts?

Base of the firing pin to big and dragging?

Pin should slide easily thru the hole, does it? No? Hole out of round or burr?

WD40 the living daylights out of the assembly ( good cleaning).

Base of the firing pin to big and dragging?

Pin should slide easily thru the hole, does it? No? Hole out of round or burr?

WD40 the living daylights out of the assembly ( good cleaning).

Nope, it slides easily.

Put the old one back in.

Way too simple. Old one is a trifle too short.

Noz,

This may seem like an odd question, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy... but...

You say you are dry firing, are you using dummy rounds?

Do you have something in the chamber to receive the impact of the pin?

Is the firing pin extrension sticking in the bolt? I had the same problem with light hits and there was a burr in the bolt that caused the firing pin extension to drag when the gun was fired and the firing pin to not retract.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Noz it's pretty hard to tell at this range but if the firing pin is sticking it probably isn't the spring. The other possiblities are firing pin is tapered or oversized and a little more polishing will fix it or a burr has developed that cacthes the firing pin or the hole in the bolt is smaller than it should be or out of round. Given that with the old spring there is a lot of resistance I would guess that the pin is oversized and the pin is being forced though the spring which would get you that grity feeling. Good luck

"If" your dry firing without some form of snap cap, the head of the firing pin is driving the spring deeper into the bore, deforming it, of only temporarily. The head of the firing pin is also peening it's seat at the bottom the initial bore.

Coffinmaker

Extension and firing pin are polished to a mirror finish. The after market spring sticks in it's channel and does not function properly. The original spring functions but feels very gritty. I'm wondering if there is a burr in the spring channel area?

After the rifle is cycled, whether fired or not and the hammer is back-a push on the extension will make the pin slide forward and return when released but it feels gritty(old spring) new spring-firing pin is not spring loaded. If pushed forward does not return.

Have you checked to see if there's a loose nut at the end of the stock? :rolleyes:

I have that one tightened regularly. Momma does it for me.

I'm wondering if there is a burr in the spring channel area?

Thought you told us that you had deburred and polished all applicable areas? Yeah, check the firing pin hole in the bolt. Find a drill bit that just fits the hole, insert it and twist BY HAND - if you have a burr the bit should catch on it. After removing burr, slot a small diameter wood rod and catch a small piece of 600 grit abrasive paper in the slot, then turn that slowly with a drill motor and buff out the inside of the firing pin hole. Down at the face of the bolt, of course, the hole steps down in diameter. That is harder to get a burr out of, but also easier to see with a strong light behind the bolt, looking through the hole from the face. Strong chance you have a burr in the larger diameter section of that hole, in the rear 2/3 of the bolt.

Brownells and some tool suppliers have small diameter "floating ball" hones that make this job easy.

Good luck, GJ

Sounds like to me that the FP extension is binding in the bolt bore.Common problem with toggle link guns with considerable wear, although I have seen it in newer guns too. With the light weight spring it does not have enough pressure to overcome the binding and will not retract. The binding is probably the "gritty" feeling you are getting. There are several things you can do to fix the condition, none of which are cheap or easy. I would put a new mainspring in it, make sure the new firing pin is fitted correctly, use a FP spring that will retract the pin fully and on time. That should cure your light strike problem for the time being. As stated before, the FP must be fitted to the rifle, usually not a "drop in" part.

Mink...........

Thanks guys: Here's the fix.

7/64 bit chucked cutting end in the chuck of a cordless drill.

Piece of scotch tape 1/8 wide stuck onto the bit length ways with a 1/4" x 1" piece of 600 grit paper. Form the paper to the bit butt by running it slowly against your fingers. Insert into the spring channel. Run drill slowly for 30 sec or so.

Re-try after market spring, throw it away.

Use factory spring with 2 loops cut off.

Pin retracts. Little force required to over come the springs pressure. No grit feel.

Problem solved.

Thinking thanks to Fungus Sam.

Archived