SASS Wire Forum

Wham, Bam, Pow. Beat Up By Facebook

Howdy Doody

That Bottom Dealin' Mike owes me a six pack for sure. Yup, 'ol BDM needed somebody to like him, actually 25 folks on Facebook to get an address for his GOTOW articles and stuff. Well, I figured I'd give the old boy a hand. I signed up on Facebook as Howie Doody (Howdy must have been taken) and checked that I liked BDM. What's this like stuff. Good thing it isn't love stuff. I then went to put some grips I like on the RVs I am going to shoot this weekend and then came back in and logged into my email. Then it happened.

Wham, bam, pow, zap, kapowie.

I had 68 emails from facebook dealing with friends that want me to be theirs and vice versa. Well, I started in opening them and discovered that if the picture was not clear or not there I had no idea who was who. I don't know many cowboys real names I am afraid. I spent an hour wading through it and I really will feel bad if I have slighted anyone. I just don't recognize some. I scored a 100% on the wimmin folks though. I can recognize a cowgirl even if the picture isn't clear and if she can cook or make brownies, then it is a love thing. Super powers or something. :wub:

So, for an old goat that learned to communicate with a postcard or letter, then a telephone. Still no cell phone though. This is a big step in my small world. I just am a computer idjit and Facebook has me intimidated. Help! Will it all settle down or am I going to have to cancel it out and go back to my cave and the way it used to be. I love my friends and pards since school, Navy, job, Cowboy Action Shooting and Patriot Guard Riders, but what should I do?

:)

Howdy HOWDY.

thats funny. BUT, that is exactly why I won't get on FaceBook. TOOOOOOO many women out there looking for me.... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Me too, and they all have summons or some kind of injunctions and such. What is this cease and desist stuff?

I am off to work now, Facebook is blocked there along with U Tube, but I will mull over what has happened to my serene life prior to signing on with Facebook this morning and then maybe I can sort it all out.

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy....Facebook? My entire view and understanding of the Universe was just disrupted! What's next, smokeless powder?

Howdy, Howdy, Howdy....Facebook? My entire view and understanding of the Universe was just disrupted! What's next, smokeless powder?

My hypocracy goes just so far. No smokeless powder for this kid. Extra portions of the real stuff, yes. You should try it Trainwreck Dammit. I have already made friends with some very wonderful ladies on there. Most of them are great dancers too. Maybe you should reconsider Facebook.

I guess I don't understand the problem. When I get a "friend" request, I accept it. Sorting out folks SASS alias from real names is too much work. A couple of the ladies had websites that were pay per view, but I'm too cheap to visit when all my money goes for bullets, brass, and primers and caps--and diesel. So I have no idea what they're selling.

But if Facebook is too much for you, don't get an iPhone. Between Facebook and iPhone, all of my time is wasted now.

Hi Howdy!!

Long time since I talked to you!! Facebook can be confusing and it is difficult because we know most people by their alias!!

Happy Trails

Navasota Kid

Ding, ding, ding. That is exactly my problem pard. I just don't know folks real names, like I would remember them anyway. The pictures help me a lot though. I have always recognized faces and sometime not the alias that goes with it when meeting up at a match. That is why I use the word pard so much. It covers the meeting up and I don't come off stupider than I already am. :D

Hardpan, where you been hiding out? On Facebook? I am looking forward to shooting with you again sometime soon. Maybe this next time the match will not be held up and hour in the middle of it, but it was a good time for everyone to catch their breath and get to know each other, huh? :)

Pards, things slowed down a bunch on my second day on Facebook. I am not used to that many emails at once. I'll hang on and see how it works out. I do actually like seeing folks I know on there.

Guest Foothills Drifter, SASS# 26563

Ding, ding, ding. That is exactly my problem pard. I just don't know folks real names, like I would remember them anyway. The pictures help me a lot though. I have always recognized faces and sometime not the alias that goes with it when meeting up at a match. That is why I use the word pard so much. It covers the meeting up and I don't come off stupider than I already am. :D

Hardpan, where you been hiding out? On Facebook? I am looking forward to shooting with you again sometime soon. Maybe this next time the match will not be held up and hour in the middle of it, but it was a good time for everyone to catch their breath and get to know each other, huh? :)

Pards, things slowed down a bunch on my second day on Facebook. I am not used to that many emails at once. I'll hang on and see how it works out. I do actually like seeing folks I know on there.

Howdy Rick...

What about me :unsure:

I was thinkin bout sendin ya somthin.....

You know who.......... :ph34r:

Once you get in there, FB is really easy. Sort of a personal newspaper that comes directly to you with just the people and things you are most interested in. Great way to connect and reconnect.

The best tip someone gave me early on...when you get a lot of posts from people about games, horiscope etc. is to block just posts related to that topic. I love that feature. Enjoy hearing about my friends, but not so much interested in their farm and such. ;)

Once you get in there, FB is really easy. Sort of a personal newspaper that comes directly to you with just the people and things you are most interested in. Great way to connect and reconnect.

The best tip someone gave me early on...when you get a lot of posts from people about games, horiscope etc. is to block just posts related to that topic. I love that feature. Enjoy hearing about my friends, but not so much interested in their farm and such. ;)

What she said!

:wub:

Allie

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy, Howdy! ^_^

It has been a while~!

Shux, the past couple years I've been busier'n a junebug in a barnyard full of ducks - hopin' to change that in the not-too-distant future and get back to wearin' out some guns! :rolleyes:

But... Facebook??? :huh: Runs counter to my natural course of maintainin' a looooow profile...! :ph34r:

Howdy, Howdy! ^_^

It has been a while~!

Shux, the past couple years I've been busier'n a junebug in a barnyard full of ducks - hopin' to change that in the not-too-distant future and get back to wearin' out some guns! :rolleyes:

But... Facebook??? :huh: Runs counter to my natural course of maintainin' a looooow profile...! :ph34r:

Howdy pard. Well, I never gave it a thought. Facebook that is, but I did it to help out Bottom Dealin' Mike, since he has helped me along over the years with his articles and even an email or two.

However, I might have sounded the alarm a little too soon and now that things have settled down, I am checking out things folks I know have going on and pretty much enjoy that.I found that some friends took a trip I didn't know they were going on. Well, they had a pics of that on facebook. The pics made me feel like I had been there. Where else are you gonna get valuable information like that? :D

Thanks for all the tips pards and yes, I am starting to get the hang of it.

Allie Mo, we don't need Facebook, we will be seeing each other face to face in a matter of days. Hold up on rain for me if you can. Even though, smoke looks great in wet weather and once in a while I can even hit a target too. :D

...Allie Mo, we don't need Facebook, we will be seeing each other face to face in a matter of days. Hold up on rain for me if you can. Even though, smoke looks great in wet weather and once in a while I can even hit a target too. :D

Woo Hoo! Yippee! Hooray!

I'm shooting WB Wed. and Thur. Guess you are w*#king. :(

See ya soon!

AM

Woo Hoo! Yippee! Hooray!

I'm shooting WB Wed. and Thur. Guess you are w*#king. :(

See ya soon!

AM

It's OK, it's a four letter word that can be said. WORK. Yes, I will work Wednesday night and throw my gear and Heidi Doody in the truck and head north on Thursday. I'll hit the range on Friday morning early.

Thats the reason I put my alias along with my real name. That way friends, family and my shooting family can all find me.

http://www.facebook.com/ShayneHudson.SmokeyShane

I checked your page and it looks nice. I also noticed that we have about 26 mutual friends so I sent you a friend request. Who knows we might get to posse up together someday and we will already know each other. :)

It happens. I run into Wire folks I never thought I would get to know and we at least have a knowledge of each other right off.

Sounds good. Thats one reason I have added a lot of the shooters, hoping that someday I will get to meet a few of them at a match somewhere.

I have had the pleasure of meeting a few people at matches that I have talked with on the Wire before, and I hope to get to meet many more

What was odd about the deal when I signed up was that it would not take Howdy at all. I did a search to see if there was already one and I got a thing about the old TV show. I think the name Howdy Doody might have a copyright or something. So I made it Howie Doody.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I had to change my alias :D

Howdy,

go to your Facebook profile page...at the top right, click on account...then account settings...then at the top click on notifications...then scroll down and uncheck anything you DONT want FB to send you an email about.. that should stop all the useless emails from them...

Fishcreek

I agree! Plus, if I get a friend request from someone I don't think I know (or don't recognize by their picture.......I've learned not to feel bad by not adden' 'em!

I think that a lot of folks on Facebook have forgotten the true definition of a "Friend". It's not a numbers game.

BT - who is "Howie's" Friend - on and off Facebook!

I don't know much about Facebook, and I'm not on it. Largely because I heard that if you join, and you do or don't click the right thing, it'll

---use something you did or didn't do as permission to raid your home email account and send invitations or some such to everyone in it

---or something.

And I send out so much stuff for my business that some folks, already, are thinking half my stuff is spam. I don't want them thinking, "OMG, now she's giving our email addresses to Facebook."

I admit I'm probably wrong on some of this. I'm not involved, and so I don't know much about it. But I haven't found the need to risk it for their inter-woven connections (connecting everyone with everyone)......, if there's any truth to that.

So: If Facebook is so good for something, please convince me? Good for something I can't already do with whomever I want?

I'm open to being convinced.

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Facebook has been great in connecting with old friends and schoolmates. I'm part of a big family and it's great to stay in touch via FB. That and skype too. One neat thing is that I am getting connected more and more with SASS pards...and get this....I went to a little private school in Anaheim for K-8 grade. I connected with an old friend from there- and he is a SASS pard!!! Who would have thunk it ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Facebook has been great in connecting with old friends and schoolmates. I'm part of a big family and it's great to stay in touch via FB. That and skype too. One neat thing is that I am getting connected more and more with SASS pards...and get this....I went to a little private school in Anaheim for K-8 grade. I connected with an old friend from there- and he is a SASS pard!!! Who would have thunk it ;)

So if someone else is on there, you may be able to find them. Ok. But will Facebook raid your home email accounts and look for "friends" with them? Or will they send invitations out to everyone on it to look for your facebook page? One is invasive, the other is spam (to most folks I know). I need to know what I'd be getting into and how to stop it.

Thanks

Aunt Jen

So if someone else is on there, you may be able to find them. Ok. But will Facebook raid your home email accounts and look for "friends" with them? Or will they send invitations out to everyone on it to look for your facebook page? One is invasive, the other is spam (to most folks I know). I need to know what I'd be getting into and how to stop it.

Thanks

Aunt Jen

I haven't any issues with your questions above - the privacy settings for me hav eworked fine and I have not received any odd emails or spam that I recognized came from FB.

Anyway, that's been my experience for the last two years I have been involved with it.

Allie Mo is pretty good at keeping a lid on things regarding FB security and such - maybe ask her about it.

What was odd about the deal when I signed up was that it would not take Howdy at all. I did a search to see if there was already one and I got a thing about the old TV show. I think the name Howdy Doody might have a copyright or something. So I made it Howie Doody.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I had to change my alias :D

They wouldn't let me use Filthy. Go figure.

They wouldn't let me use Filthy. Go figure.

Hahahahaha. You know what Feelthy, I think they didn't really want us on there and we had to trick them a bit. It doesn't bother me that I have to use Howie, if I try and say my name after imbibing some pie, it comes out Howie anyways. I had thought of using xxxxxx oops, can't say that here. Some folks, namely Rocky Meadows, has always called me plain old Doody and she might be on to something there. :D

Archived