SASS Wire Forum

Remington manufactured Marlins

Howdy,

I've got a Pard who is just getting into Cowboy Action Shooting and I have recommended a Marlin 1894c in 38 Special. I have heard there has been some problems with Marlins rifle made at the new Remington factory. Has anyone bought a "new" Marlin 1894c and if so what is your opinion/experience been?

Bear Butte

Howdy,

I've got a Pard who is just getting into Cowboy Action Shooting and I have recommended a Marlin 1894c in 38 Special. I have heard there has been some problems with Marlins rifle made at the new Remington factory. Has anyone bought a "new" Marlin 1894c and if so what is your opinion/experience been?

Bear Butte

There are some 'first hand' opinions posted on THIS THREAD.

Howdy,

Bear Butte

My SIL is getting into CAS/SASS, buying his Guns now. He has an 1894/.357 on order from Cabela's. It is due in any day now.

I will be one of the first to see the piece. I'll date it first as to Mfg. date. It may be a prior to Remington buy out of Marlin.

I'll post the results soon as I get a look-see. ;)

My SIL is getting into CAS/SASS, buying his Guns now. He has an 1894/.357 on order from Cabela's. It is due in any day now.

I will be one of the first to see the piece. I'll date it first as to Mfg. date. It may be a prior to Remington buy out of Marlin.

I'll post the results soon as I get a look-see. ;)

Hi Lefty Dude,

I just became aware of Marlin now being owned by Remington. I have noticed that none of the online outlets, eg. Gallery of Guns, Able Ammo,

Impact guns have the 20" or 24" rifles in stock they do have the 9 round carbines. How long has this shortage been going on? I know Remington closed it's Gardner, MA plant, but was the Marlin plant also closed? When will the Marlins be readily available. I tried to contact Marlin, the only accept

snailmail, no phone calls, no emails.

Due to health problems, I am just trying to reacquire SASS guns, having had to sell every gun I had to pay medical bills. I just didn't know all

of these problems were going on!

Kind Regards,

Never Sleeps, 13,790

Hi Lefty Dude,

I just became aware of Marlin now being owned by Remington. I have noticed that none of the online outlets, eg. Gallery of Guns, Able Ammo,

Impact guns have the 20" or 24" rifles in stock they do have the 9 round carbines. How long has this shortage been going on? I know Remington closed it's Gardner, MA plant, but was the Marlin plant also closed? When will the Marlins be readily available. I tried to contact Marlin, the only accept

snailmail, no phone calls, no emails.

Due to health problems, I am just trying to reacquire SASS guns, having had to sell every gun I had to pay medical bills. I just didn't know all

of these problems were going on!

Kind Regards,

Never Sleeps, 13,790

Just for a heads up they discontinued the 24" guns a few years ago.

Remington's parent co has owned Marlin for a couple or three years now. They eventually decided to combine their operations along with their other brands at Ilion NY (their .22s went to Mayfield KY)

The last lever actions were made at the (now gone) Marlin works last summer. It took months to move and/or replace machinery and get back to manufacturing leverguns at Ilion, home to Remington, Bushmaster, H&R, and a host of other labels produced under the same massive roof at the old "Remington Arms" plant.

I was given a tour of the "Big Green" works in August 2010, and at that time only a few components for leverguns were in process, notably 1895/336 receivers, and yes, I saw some 1894 bolts being made.

This was a massive move and in some cases machinery was scrapped and operations updated to modern cnc methods, etc. Frankly I applaud them for getting ANY levers out the door this soon. It's gonna be a while yet before "business as usual" returns to the familiar levers. That there might be some "teething" issues is expected, but in the end, I fully expect better rifles than were made for the last several years at Marlin, where economic as well as "cultural" issues had them down at the heels.

Based on the thread PWB linked to, I'd opine that the rifles seen recently are NOS from Marlin, or were an effort to use up old parts at Marlin when production ceased. I seriously doubt any 24" rifles ort those in odd calibers are NEW production at Remington. We got no choice but to wait and see......

Archived