SASS Wire Forum

Repairing w. rawhide

Tomboy

Howdy,

Does this work (split gunstock) and where do I buy rawhide?

Thanks,

T.

might! is split enough to work in some Elmer's glue? The 'Leather Factory' carries rawhide, but would call the first. I have some scraps of unbleached cow rawhide that you can try if ya want to. This cow rawhide is fairly thick, and just get it wet so it's easy to shape whatever and let it dry.

Yes it works........ do the glue repair but with alphitic glue or a waterproof glue. The leather is soaked overnight and is usually stitched around repair..... TIGHT, and left to dry naturally....... no hairdryer.

Sure, that's how many were done in the day. But as mentioned glue it first. The best I've found is the Super glues from the RC model airplane hobbuy shops. It's very thin so it flows in and beleive me those model bulders know more about glueing wood than anyone, it work well and fast.

As for rawhide, you can buy those rawhide large dog chews, soak it in water and then flatten it out.

Here's a rawhide and tack work 92 I did for a customer.

RAWHIDE & TACKS 92

I like to use Gorilla glue to repair cracks in stocks because it expands to fill the entire crack. It will expand out of the crack and dry on the surface, but you can cut the excess off with a razor blade. Of couse, it sounds like you are talking about a more extensive fix then just a crack.

... you can buy those rawhide large dog chews...

Let me try and think this through...

1) Buy dog chew

2) Soak and apply to '73

3) Admire effect

4) Put rifle and dog into SUV for shoot

5) Have to explain that "The Dog ate my Rifle"

Priceless!

Archived