SASS Wire Forum

spotting scopes for long range

Guest Woody Canton

Guest Woody Canton

I am getting mixed reviews with what is a good value. Since I do not have stupid money I need to get the job done and spend what it takes or save for that event when I can get it done. Expensive scopes may not be the answer. 600 yards is pretty comon and watching the gong move is the task at hand. Who has the one the works?

Woody CAnton

SASS# 88983

Without spending "stupid money", the Nikons, Kowas, and Swarovskis will be out of your budget. Try to find either someone who has or someplace that sells the Konus Konuspot 100 spotter that you could look through. It is the probably the best budget spotter worth considering. If you don't think that it is up to the task, save your money until you can afford one of the high dollar brands.

Guest Chief

Find a group that shoots long range 200-1000 yds and go and watch, I am sure that most of the long range shooters will not only give you good advice but let you try their scopes. If you live in Texas, New Mexico, or AZ let me kinow and I can put you in touch with a group. Chief

It all depends on what your going to use it for, how long your going to be using it,years, last what do you need in a scope, what does it have to do besides bullet holes at what distance, if long range shooting,such as 500, summer or when heat shows will you need the clarity of mirage or not. I was an old chuck shooter, spotting scope was a B&L variable was stolen,also shot high power, the price of a new one was higher, tried Kowa 80 was as good as B&L,could see mirage at 700, I got it with variable was much cheaper than now. As I said, what r u going to use it for, go to single shot magazines, etc online, google scopes, as newbies come in oldies leave-good luck,Lee :)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

We had a Vortex rep at our range day last fall and these weren't too bad for the money. Not a 80mm lens but not $1500 either and the light weight wasn't as shaky in the wind. I've found that a 4lb scope needs a really good tripod in gusty conditions too...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-nomad-20-60x60mm-angled-spotting-scope-nmd-60a.html

I have one of these with a window clamp on it. It doesn't have a great field of view but it will focus on targets just fine and ya dont feel as sick when it falls off the tailgate as I did with my $800 leupold birthday present.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-konuspot-80-80mm-3-1-spotting-scope.html

Good Shooting!!

I see some people spend big bucks for rifle scopes or even long range iron sights for their black powder cartridge rifles then want to scrimp on the spotting scope. A quality spotting scope can be used over a lifetime with every gun you have and is a worthwhile investment for the long range shooter. I bought a 12-40 power 60mm Leupold fifteen years ago and have never regretted it.

Money spent on a quality tripod is also a good investment, you can't really derive much benefit from a quality scope on a discount store tripod. I bought a lower line Bogen which is adequate for what I do and is much better than the el cheapos.

Archived