SASS Wire Forum

kel-tec

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

Not cowboy- but my brother in law was asking me about a kel-tec p11 in 9 mm. I don't know any thing about them and I was hoping some of you with experiance with them could fill me in. thanks- jimmy reb

I have a P11 and love it. Kel-tecs (like Stoegers) might take a little bit of work (the famous Kel-tec fluff and buff)to make them nice. Check out the Kel-tec owners group for the instructions for this. I don't know if mine needed this or not, since I did it prior to ever shooting it. It has been completely reliable. I have only had one failure to eject when I was trying to induce a failure by limp wristing it.

The PF-9 is their newer 9mm and it is much thinner and has a firing pin block safety. If I were buying new, I'd opt for the PF-9 since the price isn't much more than the P11 ($10 difference at a local gun store).

I love Kel-tecs, but I I view them as a utilitarian tool. They are not works of art and the finish isn't the greatest. My P-11 has a large tooling mark down the slide. Would I expect or accept this from H&K or Kimber? No way, but at the price point of Kel-tecs, I can live with cosmetic imperfections as long as it does the job.

http://www.ktog.org/reviews-p11.htm

Here is a site that has some reviews of the P11.

I use one for concealed carry.

Tried one of the smallest 45 first. Too big and uncomfortable to carry.

Then got a P3AT 380, but was worried about the stopping power of the 380.

Then got a P11. Ordered a couple of 12 round mags for it and a belt slide. Carry it with the belt slide in the small of my back where I can reach it with either hand easily.

I would get the parkerized version if I had to get a new one.

I use ammo rated A by Gun Test.

Sometimes I carry the 45 or 380, but most of the time I carry the P11 with an extra mag in a cell phone case.

Chaos

I have a PF-9 that I use for a concealed carry gun. Light & slim and shoots great. :rolleyes:

If you were going to shoot it a lot, check out the website mentioned for more information. I shoot mine a couple of time a year before I clean it to check on sights and function.

:FlagAm:

George Kelgren's design is more than adaquate. It was designed to be a 'pocket pistol' and in that role it is well conceived. I have used a P-11 in several 'combat' courses, including the S&W Academy courses. My carry gun has 60,000 rounds plus through it. My wife has one as well that is her carry gun. Yes, the "fluff and buff" is a technique used by many owners to 'improve' the feel of the P-11. The group, KTOG, (Kel-Tec owners group) was started by a couple of owners to discuss their , then new P-11's. Many good idea and suggestions have come from this endeavour. I have Magna-Ported them, plated them, added lasers and torture tested them. We did a 1,000 round stent at the NRA Range in VA one day, without a hiccup. We own Kel-Tec rifles, P-11 (9mm), .380, .357 Sig, 40 cal and .32's. Kel-tec is now producing a shotgun as well. Several of our Kel-tecs have 3 digit serial numbers. You mileage may vary of course..... Deacon ^_^

I have a PF-11 that I bought used. It would jam about 1 round out of every mag. I took it apart and found the synthetic guide rod under tha barrel was chipped at the end that looks like a nail head. It appeared to have been cleaned with some harsh chemical that had made the material brittle. It was easy to chip off more of the head. It looked so much like a nail that I measured it and a 12# was the same dia, just longer. I cut a nail and smoothed it out with a file and then blued it. It looks just like the original part, but it's steel now. Haven't had any type of malfunction since. Be careful of the chemicals you use to clean it, or be prepared to replace the guide rod. Overall it's a great little gun. Mine goes everywhere with me.

I have a P11 I bought used at a gun show a couple of years back. One of the reasons I bought it was the compatibility with S&W 59/5900 magazines. I was disappointed there: only the factory S&W magazines work, and you have to really push them to get them to seat and lock. Also, the only malfunctions I have ever had with the gun were when I was using a S&W 59 magazine that worked flawlessly in my S&W. A trip to Kel-Tec didn't solve the problem, but they did explain that only the factory mags would work; they test fired the gun and didn't clean it, which I found irritating, but they did ship it back to me on their dime.

OK, that's the bad.

On the good side, I've never had any malfunctions with the gun other than with that S&W magazine, and the gun fits my hand very, very well. Accuracy is at least acceptable; I'm still getting used to the trigger, but that is just a matter of putting in a little more time on the range. I've since bought some of Kel-Tec's 12 round magazines, but haven't gotten to the range since they arrived a few months back.

Despite my small disappointments, I think it is quite a good gun for the money, and evidence that you don't necessarily get what you pay for. Sometimes you get a lot more; I think this is one of those cases.

Although I didn't go with the Kel-Tec P-3AT when I bought a .380 (the Taurus TCP fit my hand much better), I would seriously consider getting other guns from them. I'm particularly interested in their .22 magnum PMR-30 and their upcoming Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG).

I had a 9mm don't remember the Model Number. I was unloading it one day in my apartment to show a friend, dropped the mag, always kept a round chambered so was racking the slide to empty it, lost my grip on the slide, it went back forward and Fired!! Bullet went through 2 walls a candle sitting on a bookshelf and hit a decorative brick wall in the living room! :o Scared the Hell out of me and my friend :blink: Took it to a Gun Show that weekend and sold it!!!!

I have a P11 I bought used at a gun show a couple of years back. One of the reasons I bought it was the compatibility with S&W 59/5900 magazines. I was disappointed there: only the factory S&W magazines work, and you have to really push them to get them to seat and lock. Also, the only malfunctions I have ever had with the gun were when I was using a S&W 59 magazine that worked flawlessly in my S&W. A trip to Kel-Tec didn't solve the problem, but they did explain that only the factory mags would work; they test fired the gun and didn't clean it, which I found irritating, but they did ship it back to me on their dime.

OK, that's the bad.

On the good side, I've never had any malfunctions with the gun other than with that S&W magazine, and the gun fits my hand very, very well. Accuracy is at least acceptable; I'm still getting used to the trigger, but that is just a matter of putting in a little more time on the range. I've since bought some of Kel-Tec's 12 round magazines, but haven't gotten to the range since they arrived a few months back.

Despite my small disappointments, I think it is quite a good gun for the money, and evidence that you don't necessarily get what you pay for. Sometimes you get a lot more; I think this is one of those cases.

Although I didn't go with the Kel-Tec P-3AT when I bought a .380 (the Taurus TCP fit my hand much better), I would seriously consider getting other guns from them. I'm particularly interested in their .22 magnum PMR-30 and their upcoming Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG).

Hi Sebastian. Your experience with the mags is interesting. My P-11 functions equally well with both. The factory Kel-Tec mags and the factory S&W mags are made by the same company, Mec-Gar, just a different name stamped on them. Comparing my Kel-Tec mags with my S&W mags, I can tell no difference. Even the S&W 15 and 20 round mags purchased for my Kel-Tec SUB2000 fold up rifle function perfectly in my P-11.

Sorry you had difficulties. Take care.

I had a 9mm don't remember the Model Number. I was unloading it one day in my apartment to show a friend, dropped the mag, always kept a round chambered so was racking the slide to empty it, lost my grip on the slide, it went back forward and Fired!! Bullet went through 2 walls a candle sitting on a bookshelf and hit a decorative brick wall in the living room! :o Scared the Hell out of me and my friend :blink: Took it to a Gun Show that weekend and sold it!!!!

It was probably the P11. Any pistol without a firing pin block safety has the potential of firing when dropped. A firing pin block was added to the PF-9.

I noticed that a couple of you purchased the 12 round Kel-tec mags. You can modify the follower on the 10 round mags to easily accept 11 rounds (12 rounds if you try hard enough). When I bought them the 12 round mags were about $50 while the 10 round mags were only $10. I now have three 11 round mags :).

Only to moderately hijack the thread, I am fascinated by the Kel Tec PMR-30, the .22WMR semi-auto pistol. If I run across one and the money is there, I will probably be seriously considering it.

Please tell me that you didn’t sell a possibly dangerously defective firearm to someone without disclosing the problem.

Please tell me that you didn’t sell a possibly dangerously defective firearm to someone without disclosing the problem.

There is nothing defective about it. If a dropped pistol without a firing pin block falls at just the right angle and sustains a significant shock, the firing pin can move forward with enough force to set off the primer. It isn't a common occurance, but can certianly happen.

There is nothing defective about it. If a dropped pistol without a firing pin block falls at just the right angle and sustains a significant shock, the firing pin can move forward with enough force to set off the primer. It isn't a common occurance, but can certianly happen.

According to what was posted the slide was released and when the slide went into battery the gun fired, it was not dropped.

We are taught to let the slide go forward by itself when chambering a round, so if this happened as the slide went forward and the gun fired it most certainly was and is dangerously defective.

According to what was posted the slide was released and when the slide went into battery the gun fired, it was not dropped.

We are taught to let the slide go forward by itself when chambering a round, so if this happened as the slide went forward and the gun fired it most certainly was and is dangerously defective.

Yup- you are correct. I read it wrong.

I own a P-11, a P-40 and the P-32.

I find that the triggers are just plain awful. Long DAO pull even with the "fluff and buff".

However, if you run wall drills and can control that trigger it will make you a much better shooter on just about any other trigger system out there bar none.

It will NEVER EVER be a target pistol. It will be what it is. Something to draw and shoot at short distance to defend your life.

I sold it to a dealer, and yes I told him what happened.

Thank you I should have known better than to think otherwise

Only to moderately hijack the thread, I am fascinated by the Kel Tec PMR-30, the .22WMR semi-auto pistol. If I run across one and the money is there, I will probably be seriously considering it.

I want one too.

Do your research up front to make sure you don't get one of the "early" models that had problems.

Also be advised that Kel-Tec is now "recommending" only one type of ammo: CCI Maxi-Mag 40grain

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281719227

Personally, CCI is the only ammo I'll use in a .22 semi-auto... LR or Magnum.

I want one too.

Do your research up front to make sure you don't get one of the "early" models that had problems.

Also be advised that Kel-Tec is now "recommending" only one type of ammo: CCI Maxi-Mag 40grain

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281719227

Personally, CCI is the only ammo I'll use in a .22 semi-auto... LR or Magnum.

Thanks for the head's up. I wasn't aware of problems with the early ones. Is there a serial number cut-off?

CCI is also my preferred ammo when it comes to .22 rimfire.

You learn something every day. I had not tried my S&W mags in my Kel-Tec. They fit. If it ever stops raining I'll have to go out and see how they feed. The 15 rounders give you a longer grip. Now I have 3 guns that take the same mags.

I got early 3 digit P11 and then P32, then I got tired of being a beta testor so I held off for a few years until I recently added a Sub2K and then a Pf9. I was on the KTOG mailing list long before the forum got started, back in the last century.

Keltec keeps making new models and I keep wanting more, but other guns captured my interest.

The Pf9 or little P32 get carried from time to time.

I had a P-11 when they first came out. It didn't conceal as well as I'd hoped. Even though it is fairly small, it's square, so it prints unless you a have really loose fitting covering garment. Currently, I have the PF-9. much thinner, conceals better. Aside from a fluff and buff, I removed the rail; saw absolutely no need for it on a CCW gun.

Some posters here have mentioned the use of S&W 59 mags in the P-11. I can't see where that is going to ad to concealability. IMHO.

I had a P-11 when they first came out. It didn't conceal as well as I'd hoped. Even though it is fairly small, it's square, so it prints unless you a have really loose fitting covering garment. Currently, I have the PF-9. much thinner, conceals better. Aside from a fluff and buff, I removed the rail; saw absolutely no need for it on a CCW gun.

Some posters here have mentioned the use of S&W 59 mags in the P-11. I can't see where that is going to ad to concealability. IMHO.

It wouldn't help with concealability, but it shore would be fun when burning ammo at targets not to have to reload so often.

Archived