SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cleaners and Care

Aunt Jen

When we go to a gun show, we see all these cleaners for guns, and frankly, I can't make heads ner tails of 'em. I've bought some in the past, tried 'em, but I keep going back to the one in the black can---Probe?---you just spray it on, clean, wipe off, and small part of it remains as a lubricant.

Someone please tell me I'm not messing up.

My guns look fine. I've never noticed any problem with them, per cleaning or rust, etc. But I also keep them in silicon socks, in a safe, with a glow rod in there for a bit of warmth.

Aunt Jen

I keep going back to the one in the black can---Probe?---you just spray it on, clean, wipe off, and small part of it remains as a lubricant.

M-Pro 7? It's a good cleaner and rust preventative.

Sounds like you are doing fine. Clean often enough to keep the guns running well. Check the magazine tubes in lever rifles or shotguns with mag tubes. Those mag tubes collect rust and few folks remember to clean them - leads to shells not coming out when you need them.

Good luck, GJ

I'm just like you (although a bit simpler with my BP I use Dawn soap then WD40) Aunt Jen and have wondered the same thing at times. No silicone socks but do have a Golden Rod plugged in, in the safe and never had a rust problem living on the central coast of California. I now live in the central valley of CA and I'm wondering if my same technique will still work for me. I've noticed that I'm running the heater more and from when I lived here as a youth, I'll be running the air conditioning more as well. Does these two things produce household humidity? I don't want to find out when it's already too late. Smithy.

I'm just like you (although a bit simpler with my BP I use Dawn soap then WD40) Aunt Jen and have wondered the same thing at times. No silicone socks but do have a Golden Rod plugged in, in the safe and never had a rust problem living on the central coast of California. I now live in the central valley of CA and I'm wondering if my same technique will still work for me. I've noticed that I'm running the heater more and from when I lived here as a youth, I'll be running the air conditioning more as well. Does these two things produce household humidity? I don't want to find out when it's already too late. Smithy.

The air conditioning serves as a dehumidifier.

The only place I have had trouble is where the ductwork travels in the basement without any inlets/outlets down there. Easily dealt with though, I plugged in a dehumifier down there, -or- you could cut in an intake and an outlet down there to circulate air and consequently dehumidify that space.

If you have oiled the metal of your firearms, it really shouldn't be a problem if you don't have condensation collecting or dripping on them.

Archived