SASS Wire Forum

Moving to DFW area

Wif

My spouse is going to be offered a position with her company in Dallas in the next 6 months or so.

The office is near the DFW airport.

What small towns near by would be a good choice to move to? 30 to 40 minutes commute would be tolerable. I spun the wheel on the Texas map and found a little town called Boyd that kooks interesting.

Your thoughts will be welcomed.

Wif :D

By small do you mean smaller than Ft. Worth or Dallas or are you looking for a farther out SMALL town. You won't get from Boyd to DFW airport in 30 or 40 minutes but Boyd is out there in the country. Closer still is Haslet. Still closer but not country, the cities of Keller, Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine, Coppell, Flower Mound etc. There's a lot to consider and look at.

Horace

Boyd is an interesting tiny town, it has a wildlife rescue "ranch" where you can see real lions and tigers and bears OH MY! It also is famous for a bonafide serial killer, Ricky Lee Green, who was executed several years ago (I actually met him once...creepy) his family still lives there. There is Boyd Raceway where dirt trackers race about three miles from town and a little known gun manufacturer where World War I and World War II automatics are made into semi-automatics for sale in the United States (I know this because my husband developed the technique before he died and I worked there with him). Oh, and they sell lots of other cool toys too! It is also the place where Obama got the White House dog and a semi-famous Gumbo restaurant (never been can't tell you about it).

I personally think it is longer than 30 or 40 minutes from DFW airport but, I am not so good at mileage.

I grew up around these parts and I am about 20 minutes from Boyd over in Azle, Texas.

Horace

I was hoping to find a place out of the "city" and still be a reasonable commute. Looks like it may not happen.

Sweet Beulah Land

Thanks for the insider look at Boyd.

We have lots of time before the move. I'm just trying to get some ideas from the locals.

Wif,

Most of the land north of DFW airport is some of the highest dollar residential real estate in the area (Coppell, Grapevine, Southlake, etc..) Lots of mansions and pro-sports players dwell there.

Some of the nicest rural property is SW of Ft. Worth: Glen Rose & Cleburne (A few nice SASS clubs there too.) That might be more of a commute than you want.

Take a look north of Ft. Worth: Azle, Haslett, & Saginaw.

DFW is a victim of urban sprawl. Lots of developers have chewed up nice rural ranch land and chopped it up into tract home developments.

If you are looking for a nice ranch house that is reasonable in price, you will likely have a significant commute to DFW airport.

Yeah, what Pancho said about the rural area SW of Ft. Worth. Mrs. YC made me head to the east side of the metroplex when we transferred up here - to stay away from the Dallas County property taxes. My commute was an hour & 10 minutes, mostly on I-20. <_< Got used to the drive & I-20 was easy driving. Good luck with your move & WELCOME TO TEXAS - if you ain't livin' here already! ;)

Don't live there but been there a lot on business. My only advice is don't move very close to Cabelas (north of DFW) or you will be spending lots of time and money there shopping. Been there...done that :blush:

My spouse is going to be offered a position with her company in Dallas in the next 6 months or so.

The office is near the DFW airport.

What small towns near by would be a good choice to move to? 30 to 40 minutes commute would be tolerable. I spun the wheel on the Texas map and found a little town called Boyd that kooks interesting.

Your thoughts will be welcomed.

Wif,

The phrase "near DFW" covers a significant amount of ground. There are over 28 sections (18,000+ acres) behind the fence. Google maps can help you quite a bit with the scale of things by using the the "directions" feature. Start with a known (the address where the wife will be working) and plot a course to various places to get a feel for time and distance.

You will find right away that if you want to live in the country you will have to spend considerable time living in your vehicle. Boyd is 40 miles from the west side of DFW.

Try searching with one of the big real estate outfits like Coldwell-Banker, their site can give you a lot of information without having to give up your name and number.

Olen

I live in Highland Village which is really Lewisville / Flower Mound and I can get to DFW airport anytime of day i about 15-20 minutes. Look forward to meeting ya'll where ever you decide to move

Archived