SASS Wire Forum

my solution for fueling cars

Trigger Mike

It would seem to me that the best way to power a car would be by using wind power. Make a car with a 5 gallon gas tank to reduce weight, and for inital starting or if you are in traffic and stopped for a long time. Attached to the roof or trunk is a small windmill. This windmill is tied to a shaft that powers a battery to power the motor. The faster you drive the more power is generated. You start off from your home with the gas engine (or natural gas), by the time you reach 5 miles an hour, the windmill is turning and takes over powering the vehicle. The faster you move down the road the faster you can go down the road. If you are stopped at a traffic light momentum will keep the windmill moving temporarily (much like those hubs that free float on some of these fancy wheels). If you are stopped for a long while the gas or natural gas engine takes over until you move again. Everytime a truck flies by it spins the windmill, giving you more juice. Since it is a battery it can be arranged to provide power to the engine for a long while even while stopped or even after being parked overnight.

We could adjust local speed loaws to not give tickets for speeding while going down hill under the guise you need to generate power to get back up it. The engine would not have to be a 4 cylinder, but could be an 8 cylinder since it is powered by wind.

I'm a "big fan" of wind power, LOL. I told someone just last week that we should cut a hole in the top of that 'gold dome' in downtown Atlanta and mount a wind turbine generator vertically, so it can be powered by all the hot air floating up. Heck, if we did that in Washington DC they could run the whole country on it :lol:

I'm a "big fan" of wind power, LOL. I told someone just last week that we should cut a hole in the top of that 'gold dome' in downtown Atlanta and mount a wind turbine generator vertically, so it can be powered by all the hot air floating up. Heck, if we did that in Washington DC they could run the whole country on it :lol:

BY DINGO, I THINK YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING THERE, MASK MAN!

The image would appropriately convey our legislators attitude towards us.

Just saw an ad for the 2011 Prius Hybrid that gets 50 MPH. XXX??? Had a 91 Geo Metro that got (On average, real calibrations) 56 MPG, and didn't need $2500 worth of batteries replaced every 5 years and had room in the back for a 10 speed, or for me and my adopted sis and college roomie to sleep in if we flipped all the seats and threw a mosquito net over the car with windows open. In 146,000 miles I had little work done on it, it was a 5 speed and did everything the modern hybrids would do and then some. I would love to see one go toe to toe with the new hybs. Don't think they could take a 5 speed. That being said.... Have we REGRESSED in 20 years? Really?

My current commuter car is a 2000 Mitsu Mirage, 5 speed. 40-43 miles per gallon, electric everything and Mitsubishi engineering. Sorry, but almost NOTHING has ever gone wrong on this car! $12K when I bought it and has been paid for since 03. Proof that reliable, energy efficient machinery can be built!

A gas burner could keep up with a hybrid AND get the same or better gas mileage with a 20 year difference in technology like the Geo? Do we have flipping COTTON between our ears? Seriously?

I would LOVE more wind power, hydrolics, natural gas, solar, etc. but seriously, we won't improve on ANY new fuel source until it becomes integrated with cars!

Just saw an ad for the 2011 Prius Hybrid that gets 50 MPH. XXX??? Had a 91 Geo Metro that got (On average, real calibrations) 56 MPG, and didn't need $2500 worth of batteries replaced every 5 years and had room in the back for a 10 speed, or for me and my adopted sis and college roomie to sleep in if we flipped all the seats and threw a mosquito net over the car with windows open. In 146,000 miles I had little work done on it, it was a 5 speed and did everything the modern hybrids would do and then some. I would love to see one go toe to toe with the new hybs. Don't think they could take a 5 speed. That being said.... Have we REGRESSED in 20 years? Really?

My current commuter car is a 2000 Mitsu Mirage, 5 speed. 40-43 miles per gallon, electric everything and Mitsubishi engineering. Sorry, but almost NOTHING has ever gone wrong on this car! $12K when I bought it and has been paid for since 03. Proof that reliable, energy efficient machinery can be built!

A gas burner could keep up with a hybrid AND get the same or better gas mileage with a 20 year difference in technology like the Geo? Do we have flipping COTTON between our ears? Seriously?

I would LOVE more wind power, hydrolics, natural gas, solar, etc. but seriously, we won't improve on ANY new fuel source until it becomes integrated with cars!

Bingo Velvet! Very few people think it thru like you have as many are just leasing them and turn them in after 3 years. The buyers also don't factor in that it takes about 7 years for the gas mileage savings to make up the the extra purchase cost over a comparable gas engine. My wife & I did rent a Prius last year and drove from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and back. Went 600 miles on 12 gallons of gas, but it's not a car I could live with. Just not enough room inside.

I drive a '97 Jeep Cherokee which gets 16-20 mpg, but since it's paid for and I now only drive 7,000 miles a year, I don't care. I can buy a lot of gas for the price of another car.

• 3 weeks later...

Deadwood, we come from practical, Farm people. I keep my car for commuting, job commutes, and long solo trips. Once Rocky and I went from Houston to EOT and back! That little car was about to bust out windows and the trunk latch and we were up in the windshield, but we made it and got 40+ miles to the gallon!

We ALWAYS keep a farm truck (been an 85 Chevy, since, well, '85!), keep a commuter car that scoots us around and this one is a 2000 that gits 42+, and we keep a fam ride that doesn't move that often... an SUV that gets GREAT mileage and holds 6 wolves and hauls my 5K trailers and tracter with no prob. HATE TO SAY IT, but 2 out of 3 are foreign. And I'm hanging on to my Mitsubishi Montero until it DIES!!!

We have practical vehicles, necessary vehicles and comfy vehicles, but they all fit our criteria. Can't replace the ones we have with better, so why?

It would seem to me that the best way to power a car would be by using wind power. Make a car with a 5 gallon gas tank to reduce weight, and for inital starting or if you are in traffic and stopped for a long time. Attached to the roof or trunk is a small windmill. This windmill is tied to a shaft that powers a battery to power the motor. The faster you drive the more power is generated. You start off from your home with the gas engine (or natural gas), by the time you reach 5 miles an hour, the windmill is turning and takes over powering the vehicle. The faster you move down the road the faster you can go down the road. If you are stopped at a traffic light momentum will keep the windmill moving temporarily (much like those hubs that free float on some of these fancy wheels). If you are stopped for a long while the gas or natural gas engine takes over until you move again. Everytime a truck flies by it spins the windmill, giving you more juice. Since it is a battery it can be arranged to provide power to the engine for a long while even while stopped or even after being parked overnight.

We could adjust local speed loaws to not give tickets for speeding while going down hill under the guise you need to generate power to get back up it. The engine would not have to be a 4 cylinder, but could be an 8 cylinder since it is powered by wind.

Energy is neither created nor destroyed but converted to another form of energy.

Don't work the way you're proposing. Can't get something from nothing. Think of it this way, the car is generating all the power to overcome drag created by the atmosphere. You do not feel wind going down the road when ya stick your head out or ride in the back of the truck. What ya feel is drag, not wind and this drag turns your proposed wind turbine. The vehicle has to expend a certain amount of energy for this effect to take place and to overcome drag. You will not make any gains. Only losses. You will waste energy. Pick up a pinwheel run around the yard for a while. See what it takes to keep a simple pinwheel in motion. When you're out of breath a light bulb will go off in your head.

Regenerative braking systems are a novel concept. Been used in paper industry for years. Some car manufacturer has just introduce them. I won't go into it too much. There's a lot of information on regenerative braking out there. Using rotational force to turn a generator that sends power back to the electrical system is the premise. Also, a braking effect is imposed by the generator since it is under an electrical load. You are just recapturing what would be wasted energy, but not creating energy. You are making a more efficient use of the energy you expended in the first place.

Toyota guy told me several years ago they had conceptualized a hybrid diesel where the electric motor did the take off and the diesel kicked in at highway speeds. This is opposite of conventional hybrids. Concept was simple: Diesels use most of their fuel getting up to speed. Lets try to eliminate using an engine for take off, but use an electric motor instead. Once up to speed, allow the diesel engine to kick in and the electric motor to shut off. Long stroke diesels engines especially, they turn at low RPM due to their torque and burn considerably less fuel. On paper 70-100 MPG. I wonder if they will ever crack that nut.

It would be easier to just make all roads go down hill. I bet you could get that law passed!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it's a great idea! Another thing I wonder about: when folks are lost in the desert or the woods and die of starvation...why didn't they just cut steaks offa themselves and eat them? Sure it would hurt, but it's an emergency. You could stay alive indefinitely that way, because there would always be enough to eat.

But really, the trouble with the windmill car would be the faster you go, the more power you make, the faster you go, and so on, until infinity. There'd be a lot of accidents....

Archived