SASS Wire Forum

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

I have been using it for a number of years. For smokeless cast bullet shooting it works as good as anything on the market. A lot cheaper also.I don't know how it works on black powder. A lot of cast bullet rifle shooters use it. Just my opinion.

Brownie

I use it without the acetone so I can use it inside. It still works as good as the new Hoppe's for lead bullets and smokless powder. I like it.

Thanks, guys. I now have a gallon of it and will try it in the next day or so. I put the acetone in it but could not find the optional lanolin.

Horace

I couldn't find lanolin either. Then I happened to look at a can of mink oil, like you put on leather. Guess what the main ingredient is? Good 'ol lanolin! Got a big tub of it at WallyWorld. Just put it in the mix, the acetone dissolves it easily.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

H P,

I always heard it was great stuff...

I'd use it, myself... but I checked... and none of my guns got red bores in 'em.

(joshin' with ya, Horace... I have a Pard who swears by that stuff.)

ts

I've used it for years for cleaning. I still use Breakfree CLP or Tetra grease for lubrication, but Ed's Red does a fair job at lubrication too. I used to fix up a lot of surplus military rifles which are usually covered in grime and cosmolene. It was nice having an inexpensive cleaner to soak parts in.

I've always used it indoors with Acetone. Ladies do there nails inside all the time using acetone (nail polish remover); how bad can it be?

I've been using it for years as well. I don't bother with the lanolin. Just about any of the components will work alone to clean or lube a firearm.

Half of my Colts are Nickle and I use it on all of them Vs a solvent with Ammonia that can attack the copper layer under the nickle.

Hope that helps,

Archived