SASS Wire Forum

US F-15E plane down in Lybia

Jack Houston # 35508

Mechanical problems....Yea.

Something broke when that missile blew up next to the plane.

I'm glad the pilots got out OK. We can buy more planes.

What he said!

Sorry guys. If a missile blows up next to an aircraft it doesn't come down in one piece. There would also be shrapnell holes in what was left. All in all it looks like something mechanical. I would guess fuel or engines.

Crusty--32 years Aircraft Armament experiance

Wonder how their backs are? In the old Martin-Baker seats or whatever they used in the F-4's, compression fractures of the spine were almost automatic! :o I believe the rate of onset of the booster and rocket charges have been modified considerably, so hopefully the crew can return to flight status as soon as the AIB gets through!

Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Trailrider,

The current ejection system is called "Aces 2"--Thrust you can trust. It's much better (by a whole lot) than the F-4 Martin-Baker seat.

Maybe I am the only one confused by this activity. Lets see if I understand where we are. Congress has not approved any action for this no fly zone. Law of US requires same. We are operating in some undefined UN sponsored mission with no UN leadership, no other country leadership and all the participants refusing to lead. Some of the participants now want out of the operation-like Arab League members and Germans for example. We have no exit or end strategy. Do not understand why NATO is involved at all, maybe I am the only one confused. We have no funding line identified for the activity. The other countries in this effort have vastly different objectives, no fly zone, versus killing an individual, versus ground support to one side of a civil war, etc. Administration has stated clearly there will be no US troops on the ground, but that clearly has not been the case-this rescue is just one example. US current leaders have said many times in the past such an action by the President is an impeachable offense. Democrats are coming out strong in support of the effort (except far left liberals). Liberal news media showing strong support for the effort. These folks are usually anti war of any kind. With all this confusion I am sure we will be successful at something. Let's hope too many US servicemen will not be killed or injured in this action. I am sure I have missed the grand strategy somewhere in the last couple of weeks or months. This is shaping up worse than Obamacare. Anyone else confused?

Trailrider,

The current ejection system is called "Aces 2"--Thrust you can trust. It's much better (by a whole lot) than the F-4 Martin-Baker seat.

Crusty,

Thanks, Pard. I worked on ejection seat mechanism designs as a summer hire, back in the late 1950's, and have more-or-less followed developments. Forgot about the Aces 2. I though there was a time more recently when we were contemplating adopting the Russian ejection seat system. You know, the one that saved that Soviet pilot at the Paris Air Show, when he punched out of a Su-27 or somesuch, semi-inverted and CLOSE to the ground! The Russkie got about half-a-swing under his chute, but landed unhurt.

Glad our guys are okay.

Godspeed to all those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

Got word that we bombed the wreckage (surprisingly intact), and sent the bird to the big boneyard in the sky.

Maybe I am the only one confused by this activity. Lets see if I understand where we are. Congress has not approved any action for this no fly zone. Law of US requires same. We are operating in some undefined UN sponsored mission with no UN leadership, no other country leadership and all the participants refusing to lead. Some of the participants now want out of the operation-like Arab League members and Germans for example. We have no exit or end strategy. Do not understand why NATO is involved at all, maybe I am the only one confused. We have no funding line identified for the activity. The other countries in this effort have vastly different objectives, no fly zone, versus killing an individual, versus ground support to one side of a civil war, etc. Administration has stated clearly there will be no US troops on the ground, but that clearly has not been the case-this rescue is just one example. US current leaders have said many times in the past such an action by the President is an impeachable offense. Democrats are coming out strong in support of the effort (except far left liberals). Liberal news media showing strong support for the effort. These folks are usually anti war of any kind. With all this confusion I am sure we will be successful at something. Let's hope too many US servicemen will not be killed or injured in this action. I am sure I have missed the grand strategy somewhere in the last couple of weeks or months. This is shaping up worse than Obamacare. Anyone else confused?

Sounds sort of like Healthcare Reform, don't it?

LL

Crusty,

Thanks, Pard. I worked on ejection seat mechanism designs as a summer hire, back in the late 1950's, and have more-or-less followed developments. Forgot about the Aces 2. I though there was a time more recently when we were contemplating adopting the Russian ejection seat system. You know, the one that saved that Soviet pilot at the Paris Air Show, when he punched out of a Su-27 or somesuch, semi-inverted and CLOSE to the ground! The Russkie got about half-a-swing under his chute, but landed unhurt.

Glad our guys are okay.

Godspeed to all those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

F-22 and F-15 use an Aces II seat. F-35 uses a Martin-Baker Mk-16 seat. F-18 uses a NACES-Martin-Baker seat I believe. The Russian seat has been reviewed by the USAF and USN several times and rejected for multiple reasons.

OMG. THE EVIL COWBOY GEORGE BUSH HAS STRUCK AGAIN. Oh, wait. He's not President anymore.

OMG. THE EVIL COWBOY GEORGE BUSH HAS STRUCK AGAIN. Oh, wait. He's not President anymore.

:lol: and if they didn;t blame him, they would blame Jesus :rolleyes:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Glad the aircrew is AOK and was rapidly back with US forces. Thought I heard that the locals took the air crew in and fed them, also the folks were cheering and thanking them for what they had done. It makes me feel old to think the Strike Eagle came out 25 years ago and the Eagle has been in service 10 years longer then that! Still one very sexy aircraft.

Glad the aircrew is AOK and was rapidly back with US forces. Thought I heard that the locals took the air crew in and fed them, also the folks were cheering and thanking them for what they had done. It makes me feel old to think the Strike Eagle came out 25 years ago and the Eagle has been in service 10 years longer then that! Still one very sexy aircraft.

Ditto that!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived